Newbie Needs a Road Bike 1k Budget

Sheepy

Newbie Needs a Road Bike 1k Budget

Postby Sheepy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:41 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking for an entry level road bike and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I've lost a lot of weight in the last few years and started to run, which has made me want a ride a bike as well.

My budget is about $1000 AUD total and I plan to use it mostly on bike trails and roads but versatility appeals to me too.

I only plan to buy new and in person because having the support of a store for sizing, warranty and questions is a must for me. Luckily I live in Sydney so both cheap outlets, Reid and Cell Bikes, have brick and mortar stores near me.

[The Cell Lapa 2.0](http://www.this link is broken/Cell-Lapa-2-0) has a mix of 105 and Tiagra components and Mavic rims. For the money this seems like the best value bar none, but it also looks boring as hell.

[The Reid 4130 Limited](https://www.reidcycles.com.au/reid-4130-shimano.html) also has a mix of 105 and Tiagra but with Tektro brakes instead of Shimano and from what I guess probably crappier wheels. The biggest difference is obviously the cromo steel frame. It also looks beautiful to me.

[Lastly the Reid Granite](https://www.reidcycles.com.au/granite.html) being a gravel bike has way more versatility and Disc Brakes but a Claris groupset.

Should I stick with best value, the nostalgic steel frame or go for versatility and get the gravel grinder so I can try other trails?

Mububban

Re: Newbie Needs a Road Bike 1k Budget

Postby Mububban » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:06 pm

Sheepy wrote:Hey guys, I'm looking for an entry level road bike and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I've lost a lot of weight in the last few years and started to run, which has made me want a ride a bike as well.

My budget is about $1000 AUD total and I plan to use it mostly on bike trails and roads but versatility appeals to me too.

I only plan to buy new and in person because having the support of a store for sizing, warranty and questions is a must for me. Luckily I live in Sydney so both cheap outlets, Reid and Cell Bikes, have brick and mortar stores near me.

[The Cell Lapa 2.0](http://www.this link is broken/Cell-Lapa-2-0) has a mix of 105 and Tiagra components and Mavic rims. For the money this seems like the best value bar none, but it also looks boring as hell.

[The Reid 4130 Limited](https://www.reidcycles.com.au/reid-4130-shimano.html) also has a mix of 105 and Tiagra but with Tektro brakes instead of Shimano and from what I guess probably crappier wheels. The biggest difference is obviously the cromo steel frame. It also looks beautiful to me.

[Lastly the Reid Granite](https://www.reidcycles.com.au/granite.html) being a gravel bike has way more versatility and Disc Brakes but a Claris groupset.

Should I stick with best value, the nostalgic steel frame or go for versatility and get the gravel grinder so I can try other trails?

I had a quick test ride of a Granite and the Claris didn't feel that great. But it's the only one with an 11-32 rear cassette. That wide range of gearing and the stock 32mm tyres give you the versatility you're thinking of.
Unless you're riding in the rain, I don't know how advantageous mechanical discs would be over traditional rim brakes, they do bring a slight weight penalty with them.

The Cell has an 11-25 rear cassette and the cro-moly Reid has a 12-25 so if you have any hills around you, they could kill your knees as you won't have that easy "granny gear" to sit and spin. Definitely give them a test ride especially if they have any nearby hills to test them on.

On a ride around the block on a Tiagra 10 speed vs 105 11 speed, Tiagra felt pretty damn close to 105 - both very nice (I've just bought my first road bike, coming from a 2003 mountain bike it's a quantum leap!).
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:29 pm

Out of those yeah the Lapa 2.0 by a fair margain and its on sale by the looks. If you can stretch a little further ($1099) then maybe something like the Polygon C5.0 with 11speed 105. I think I have seen it for $1k but its a really solid starting point and can easily upgrade the wheels later being 11 speed.
https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2016- ... speed-road

Or actually I see the 2016 Reid Falco Elite is on sale as well now for $1k which is 11 speed 105 as well (would be very similar to the Polygon).
https://www.reidcycles.com.au/falco-eli ... -bike.html

The Polygon has an 11-28 which might be preferred to the 11-25. But really not much between these two bikes. The extra $100 off might sway it!
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Sheepy

Postby Sheepy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:03 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I am trying to keep it as affordable as possible, but obviously I want that sweet spot where I can get a lot out of it. It's worth mentioning that I get 10% the full price reid bikes, which knocks another $80 or so off both of the ones listed. Unfortunately not for the falcon elite because it's already reduced.

I feel like I might be leaning towards the Reid Granite because it looks more fun and versatile. As long as it doesn't hold me back on the road as a newbie. Honestly as someone who is over 90kg I don't know how big a difference of 9.7kg vs 11.5kg is going to be or for instance rolling resistance from thicker tyres.. And of course looks aren't the most important thing but I'm much more motivated to ride if I love how the bike looks. I wouldn't even be against buying the Granite and upgrading components later, but I'm not sure how cost effective or practical it is.

If the falcon elite is going to make learning to ride that much easier compared with the Granite though I'd be really hesitant to buy the Granite. I'm just not sure how pronounced that difference is at the beginner level. Finally I'd be concerned that 700x23C tyres are really thin for someone my size and it seems like a lot of places are now going for 25 or even 27 for endurance race bikes.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:50 pm

I actually thought the Granite looked fairly average. You may as well look at the Aldi road bike if you can still find one at $350 get it serviced and setup right and maybe buy some wider tyres on it and I still think you would be in front of the Granite. Nearly 2kg is quite a weight penality which if you do a few hills you will notice it. I'd only consider it if you are dead keen on disc brakes.

Not sure if bicycles online has a bricks and mortar shop but the Polygon does have 25mm tyres if you are a bigger person and are a little worried about that. Tyres really shouldn't be a concern as its very easy to just replace them with something better cheaply. 25mm, 28mm whatever you want.

Anyway go for a test ride of a few and see what you think. Good luck.

Sheepy

Postby Sheepy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:34 am

Thanks for the advice guys. Rodneycc you convinced me to push for a higher specced bike and I actually found Reid's Vantage 2.0 with nearly full 105 11spd. Mububban highlighted the cassette range and luckily the Vantage has the same large 11-32 cassette on the back. So I feel like I really got the best of both worlds.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:05 am

Nice one mate, I saw the pic, should do you very well. First upgrade might be the saddle hey :-)
Great choice.

Sheepy

Postby Sheepy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:58 pm

rodneycc wrote:Nice one mate, I saw the pic, should do you very well. First upgrade might be the saddle hey :-)
Great choice.
Definitely. The missus especially because she got the Vantage 1.0 and I think a womens specific saddle would suit her better. Honestly not sure what the usual way to go about buying a saddle is since I assume you'd have to try it in person. Brick and mortars let you try them out I assume? Can you tell after a short ride if its good or not?

Hastingd

Postby Hastingd » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:32 pm

I'd be very keen to hear your views on the Vantage after you've broken it in. Especially if you run it on dirt / gravel.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:02 pm

Saddles are such a personal thing. Over the last four years I've gone through about 30 different types of saddles and spend about $3000 finding "the one". From the stock saddles, to Fizik, to selle italia, to brooks, to specialized body geometry and I've ended up currently with selle smp (and specifically the drakon).

Some bike shops do testing models but you really need to sit on one for 3 or four weeks I find because initially some feel ok but then don't after a few weeks. Then there is the setup where I can fiddle around for hours getting that angle to 0.1 degree just right only to find the the saddle shape is slightly little different to the last one I setup exactly right! Frustrating.

But yeah don't get me going about saddles!

Sheepy

Postby Sheepy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:39 pm

Is there a good starting place for choosing a saddle style or some things to look for? Or is it purely just trying a lot? Sounds expensive lol

StevOz

Postby StevOz » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:55 pm

Perhaps checkout this thread I still sit on my recommendation. :)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=89617

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:15 pm

Sheepy wrote:Is there a good starting place for choosing a saddle style or some things to look for? Or is it purely just trying a lot? Sounds expensive lol
Get your width firstly. It's nto going to be perfect, but it's a good starting point.

After that some usual suspects are selle smp, fizik range and specialized saddles. Personally, I've found bontrager saddle to fit me best - not bad at $100 a pop for the entry model.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:26 pm

Yeah try a lot of them is my theory. By all means start at the cheaper end first. Ive heard good things about the charge and scoop saddles. The problem I find is that the most comfortable are generally the most heaviest I've found with me. For example the leather Brooks's are really comfortable but are absolute boat anchors. Selle smps aren't exactly weight weenies either but they look ok on a road bike and are half the weight of the Brooks (a lot of that weight comes out of your wallet though! :-) )

I'm currently trialing a carbon railed selle smp drakon but the jury is still out whether its any different to the steel rail one.