$349 Aldi mountain bike

warthog1

Re: $349 Aldi mountain bike

Postby warthog1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:33 pm

Willstar44 wrote:

as a novice thought it better to let them check if over,
I have seen some link when Cell and Reid / Kmart bike were not greased properly and not all bolts tighten .
I am also going to get a correctly fitting helmet and some riding shorts/shirts
( the $14 Aldi one didn't fit and look crap)
I don't know your level of mechanical aptitude.
Bicycles are a relatively simple beast compared to the automotive field.
I'd look at it as also a cheap learning tool to develop a basic level of servicing/set up ability.
There is a heap of stuff on you tube if you research, and people on here are happy to help if you fire off a question.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:36 pm

I'm considering getting one of these too, just for going to the shops, the pub etc. My previous experience with 'cheapish' mountain bikes is that the front forks are usually way to soft for road use and with useless 'dials' in the top of the forks which are supposed to stiffen the suspension but don't, meaning bouncing up and down even when riding in the saddle and much worse when riding out of it. How do you rate the forks on this bike? Can they be fully locked out so there is no front suspension at all for road riding which is 99% of what I'd use it for?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:25 pm

Like @AUBicycles did with the Aldi road bike, the guys at Flow would have started with a position of strong scepticism.

If they are giving it a thumbs up, I think you can rely on that.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:28 pm

I'm glad they left some steerer available for tweaking.

Wills, no problem with how you have it atm. As long as you're comfortable.

If it's not a good height, try moving the spacers under the stem to over it as in the Flow pic. A rough eyeball suggests that the bar height of your high stack with dropped stem is pretty close in relative terms to the Flow setup.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:40 pm

My inlaw bought one. I recommended it as he was looking at a $600 bike from a local bike shop - essentially it is a first bike for cruising around and attempting easy trails.

I put it together and will bullet point the notes:
• Visual appeal - top
• Welds - fairly good
• No torque settings for the handbar (faceplate) - I used 6Nm
• No center/middle line mark on the handlebars
• Headset / steerer was slightly off center - so was straightened.
• Pedal spindles fairly stiff
• Gears, 95% spot on, minor limit screw adjustment for the front derailleur
• Both disc brakes rubbing
- front brake loosened and the piston position adjusted
- rear brake loosened, piston position adjusted but still rubbing slightly couldn't be completely fixed (without havinb the brakes excessively loose)
- Chain could do with oil

Lots of thinks where it is worthwhile having someone who knows bikes to put it together and ensure it is safe and setup smoothly.

The forks are not bad, only took it for a short spin but it felt nice and for the price is pretty irresistible.
Cycling is in my BNA

daazzaa

Postby daazzaa » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:32 pm

AUbicycles wrote:My inlaw bought one. I recommended it as he was looking at a $600 bike from a local bike shop - essentially it is a first bike for cruising around and attempting easy trails.

• Visual appeal - top
• Welds - fairly good
- rear brake loosened, piston position adjusted but still rubbing slightly couldn't be completely fixed (without havinb the brakes excessively loose)

Lots of thinks where it is worthwhile having someone who knows bikes to put it together and ensure it is safe and setup smoothly.

The forks are not bad, only took it for a short spin but it felt nice and for the price is pretty irresistible.
Been the bike newbie that I am and getting a little bit of interest since buying the Focus for my son, I thought I would dip the toe in the water and get one too. Got the White one in L, not that I had much choice as only medium left which is not my size (I'm about 186 cm) and they were all white.
Well packaged and protected in the box, easy to assemble. Seemed to be greased up where it should be etc. Took it for a spin for an hour and happy with it on the road and out in the bush. Only drama I have is a rubbing disc rotor. Done the normal, loosed off the 5mm allen key bolts, held the brake lever on, tightened etc. Still rubs, time for me to read up more on this. Anyone got suggestions? To me the pads are not sitting level if that makes any sense?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:54 pm

bent rotor.

daazzaa

Postby daazzaa » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:12 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:bent rotor.
That's what I thought, I know it is hard to tell but it seems to spin true. Little annoyed bent rotor straight outta the box then if it is :(

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:52 am

AUbicycles wrote:My inlaw bought one. I recommended it as he was looking at a $600 bike from a local bike shop - essentially it is a first bike for cruising around and attempting easy trails.

• Visual appeal - top
• Welds - fairly good

Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated from a newb perspective :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:02 am

daazzaa wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:bent rotor.
That's what I thought, I know it is hard to tell but it seems to spin true. Little annoyed bent rotor straight outta the box then if it is :(
I have no experience with mtbs and disc brakes. Do you have a straight edge, like a steel ruler, you can lay across the rotor. Should let you know if it's grossly bent.
I'd have thought just spinning the wheel and looking at the disc as it runs through the caliper would be a good indication?

WallyH

Postby WallyH » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:18 am

daazzaa wrote:
AUbicycles wrote: Only drama I have is a rubbing disc rotor. Done the normal, loosed off the 5mm allen key bolts, held the brake lever on, tightened etc. Still rubs, time for me to read up more on this. Anyone got suggestions? To me the pads are not sitting level if that makes any sense?
I had the same issue. I have another bike with disc brakes so I had some previous experience.

What I did to fix the rubbing (on front and back) on my bike was to adjust the quick release skewer slightly to move the wheel to one side slightly. This fixed the front wheel. The back wheel was rubbing ever so slightly, so I took a hex key and backed off the pads using the adjuster on the inside of the caliper mount two notches. The brakes still engage well but now do not rub at all.

If you need a picture to explain the adjustment I made I can post one.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:56 am

A ruler won't tell you jack. Especially bendy metal rulers. Rotors get bent all the time. They can get bent while on the trails or even in transport they can be bent. Just spin it and look/listen for the rubbing and bend it back accordingly. Very easy. If you have the right tools it will only take you a couple seconds. A tool which is essential for anyone that owns any disc brake bikes.

http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod12324

daazzaa

Postby daazzaa » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:21 pm

WallyH wrote:
daazzaa wrote:
AUbicycles wrote: Only drama I have is a rubbing disc rotor. Done the normal, loosed off the 5mm allen key bolts, held the brake lever on, tightened etc. Still rubs, time for me to read up more on this. Anyone got suggestions? To me the pads are not sitting level if that makes any sense?
I had the same issue. I have another bike with disc brakes so I had some previous experience.

What I did to fix the rubbing (on front and back) on my bike was to adjust the quick release skewer slightly to move the wheel to one side slightly. This fixed the front wheel. The back wheel was rubbing ever so slightly, so I took a hex key and backed off the pads using the adjuster on the inside of the caliper mount two notches. The brakes still engage well but now do not rub at all.

If you need a picture to explain the adjustment I made I can post one.
Thanks for the advice. A pic would be great.

Cheers

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:03 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:A ruler won't tell you jack. Especially bendy metal rulers. Rotors get bent all the time. They can get bent while on the trails or even in transport they can be bent. Just spin it and look/listen for the rubbing and bend it back accordingly. Very easy. If you have the right tools it will only take you a couple seconds. A tool which is essential for anyone that owns any disc brake bikes.

http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod12324
Thanks. :)
Obviously you turn it on edge though :wink: they're not very bendy that way ime :P
http://www.ehow.com/how_7355762_check-w ... otors.html

I did say I know jack about mtbs and discs. At least I'm honest :oops:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:59 pm

I got one of these this morning and the only thing that I did, was to back the cones off in the wheels, as they were to tight. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:24 pm

For adjusting the brakes I have found that loosening the caliper, holding the brake on and retightening the caliper doesn't always provide the best position for the caliper. Sometimes it is better to rely on adjusting the caliper manually, holding it where it doent rub and tightening will give a better result on a not quite true rotor.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:15 pm

For the disc brake rubbing - on the insider of the brake pads, there is a round silver part into which you can but an allen key. It is a bit tricky on the rear wheel.

You turn it (step by step) to move the entire disc brake unit in or out. Also released the cable a bit. This solved the front brake rubbing but the rear still had some rub - which couldn't be resolved. I couldn't hear it riding though so it was minor but not optimal.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:47 pm

bychosis wrote:For adjusting the brakes I have found that loosening the caliper, holding the brake on and retightening the caliper doesn't always provide the best position for the caliper. Sometimes it is better to rely on adjusting the caliper manually, holding it where it doesn't rub and tightening will give a better result on a not quite true rotor.
That will likely be because the caliper has only one moving piston, which flexes the rotor over to meet the other pad before braking force is generated.

It's nothing to worry about, nearly all cable disc calipers operate this way including Shimano and Avid. Cable calipers that move both pistons are rare (some TRP models?). You just wont be able to use rotors that have an aluminium spider, and will need to say with all-stainless rotors.

All you need to do is line the rotor up by eye, looking through the top of the caliper.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:51 pm

trailgumby wrote:
bychosis wrote:For adjusting the brakes I have found that loosening the caliper, holding the brake on and retightening the caliper doesn't always provide the best position for the caliper. Sometimes it is better to rely on adjusting the caliper manually, holding it where it doesn't rub and tightening will give a better result on a not quite true rotor.
That will likely be because the caliper has only one moving piston, which flexes the rotor over to meet the other pad before braking force is generated.

It's nothing to worry about, nearly all cable disc calipers operate this way including Shimano and Avid. Cable calipers that move both pistons are rare (some TRP models?). You just wont be able to use rotors that have an aluminium spider, and will need to say with all-stainless rotors.

All you need to do is line the rotor up by eye, looking through the top of the caliper.
Agreed. Putting a (not stupid bright) light source beneath the calliper will make it a tad easier IME
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:35 pm

2 large left at Brandon Park today.

Cheers,

Cameron

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:55 pm

I rang aldi today. Sold out statewide in vic.
The bloke was confident they'd be back.
I'll be getting 2 more for my teenage kids.
Fantastic value. Everyone who has seen mine is stunned that it's a supermarket special.

WallyH

Postby WallyH » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:46 pm

Been out on the trail a couple of times with this bike, and it's been pretty good so far. Aside from the small tweaks I did to get it rolling including adjusting the wheels and brake calipers, it hasn't needed anything special during or after the rides.

It manages the trail at Wylde pretty well. I'm not super confident over the large rocks, the back of the bike feels a bit heavy over the rough stuff. The weight of the bike and the size of the wheel makes it feel a bit bulky going at pace and in turns. To get a feel for what I'm riding on check the clip:

After riding it, I'd buy the bike again. I'm afraid that now I've caught the MTB bug, though, and I will not be satisfied until my garage is full of an array of bikes. I can't imagine there's a better option than this Aldi bike for a MTB to kick-start the addiction.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:28 pm

Just a heads up to check your spoke tensions on the Aldi goer.
My back wheel was badly out of true when I got home last night, so I gave it the once over.
Some of the spokes on the NDS rear were so loose I thought they were broken. The rest on that side were all over the place and not very tight.
I checked the front also and found a number on one side were quite loose.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:03 pm

Thanks warthog1 - nice tip
Cycling is in my BNA

Willstar44

Postby Willstar44 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:51 pm

warthog1 wrote:Just a heads up to check your spoke tensions on the Aldi goer.
My back wheel was badly out of true when I got home last night, so I gave it the once over.
Some of the spokes on the NDS rear were so loose I thought they were broken. The rest on that side were all over the place and not very tight.
I checked the front also and found a number on one side were quite loose.

I am glad I took Aldi bike to a Bike shop to for a check over - as the cable brake were yuck, ( loud squealing noise + felt like the cable was stretching more as I used it )

He mentions the spoke were loose, and the derailleur plate ( the part that bolts to the frame) was bent and was the reason why it missed gears.

I thought I did an Ok job building it ( just wheels and handlebars ) . I didn't need to touch the gears
However, I am amazed that a bakeshop tune up makes it feel like a completely different bike. It even feels faster ( i think he adjusted the wheel bearing)
Also got some m615 installed for $120 INSTALLED - as a novice myself , I notice the befits straight away.