Government mulls online shopping ‘lockouts’ in GST crackdown

TheShadow

Re: Government mulls online shopping ‘lockouts’ in GST crackdown

Postby TheShadow » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Thoglette wrote:But it's not about tax dodging.
Do you think perhaps this is this is the next step driven not so much by local Australian shops, but by big foreign corporations as a means of forcing consumers to pay inflated prices for their goods. >>> I have noticed that on some EU bicycle sites, some items (Mavic wheels? ) are specifically marked "not available to purchasers outside the EU". It's for sale, but not for you in australia, not at any price.

I can't think of a reason right now why they might do that, except that their research suggests to them that consumers outside the EU are both willing, and able, to pay more for those same items if forced to buy them only from their own national distributors.

If that's their logic, I can tell them there is no way I would have bought the stuff I have bought OS if I was forced to pay double locally. I'll just scale back what I do. 'Course, their research may have indicated something along the lines that if they force enthusiasts to buy in australia at double the price, then if just over half the market keeps buying it, they'll come out ahead... :|

grimbo

Re: Government mulls online shopping ‘lockouts’ in GST crackdown

Postby grimbo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:24 pm

TheShadow wrote:
Thoglette wrote:But it's not about tax dodging.
Do you think perhaps this is this is the next step driven not so much by local Australian shops, but by big foreign corporations as a means of forcing consumers to pay inflated prices for their goods. >>> I have noticed that on some EU bicycle sites, some items (Mavic wheels? ) are specifically marked "not available to purchasers outside the EU". It's for sale, but not for you in australia, not at any price.

I can't think of a reason right now why they might do that, except that their research suggests to them that consumers outside the EU are both willing, and able, to pay more for those same items if forced to buy them only from their own national distributors.

If that's their logic, I can tell them there is no way I would have bought the stuff I have bought OS if I was forced to pay double locally. I'll just scale back what I do. 'Course, their research may have indicated something along the lines that if they force enthusiasts to buy in australia at double the price, then if just over half the market keeps buying it, they'll come out ahead... :|
This practice has stymied me buying a few things from overseas websites. But did I then go and buy those items at double the price in Australia? Nope, bought something equivalent online that didn't have the Australian sales restriction. If you're not too fussy about the brand you want, we're spoiled for choice.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough