Reid Vantage Endurance 2.0 - Good First Road Bike?

Sheepy

Reid Vantage Endurance 2.0 - Good First Road Bike?

Postby Sheepy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:43 pm

Hey guys, been looking for a first road bike at around $1,000. I'm looking to ride mostly on road/pathways and looking to build up some fitness. Due to a cross-company promotion I get 10% off the bike so it seems like a decent buy. It also seems like an easier start than the more aggressively framed Falcon Elite (Although it is on special and truly full 105). What do you guys think of the Reid Vantage Endurance 2.0?

Quick overview:
- Relaxed endurance style frame, good for a beginner?
- Nearly full 105 (Latest 5800 11spd)
- Carbon fibre forks and steerer)
- Massive gear range, 34/50T front and 11-32 rear.
- Continental Grand Sport Race 700x25C (Little more comfy than 23C?)
- Spyre disc brakes.

P.s The Reid Granite looks superb, but the Claris groupset seems like it could be better for the money.

Hastingd

Re: Reid Vantage Endurance 2.0 - Good First Road Bike?

Postby Hastingd » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:28 pm

Hi Sheepy.

I have a Granite & it is excellent value. The Claris group set is occasionally an issue due to the jump in the number of teeth between a couple of the rings. This can be rectified by changing to a different 8 speed cassette with a lower top end. The front end cabling is pretty messy, but can be tidied up with shorter cables. I changed the tyres as the originals attracted punctures. I also changed the pedals.

Had the Vantage been around, I would have seriously considered it for the 105 set, with its better look, smoother cassette spread, and better shifting. The biggest turn off for me is maximum tyre width of 28 - I run 35 on the Granite. I'm also not sure how well the Vantage would handle offroad - the Granite has been worked pretty hard off road with zero issues.

I recommend if you can you ride them both.

Cheers, Darren.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:16 pm

If you're not looking to keep up with the quick bunches then yep, test one if you can.

105 is 105, better than good. Spyre brakes are proving themselves on my steel roadie. No problems there. Most of the other bits are fairly easy swapouts if you want/need to tweak anything.

Not gonna be superlight in the frame and wheels would be my guess, but pretty sturdy. I've still got a '12 Harrier FG.

If you can get a test in, do so. If it makes you smile, take it home.
Just remember, no price is cheap if you don't like the way the bike hangs off your bum :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Sheepy

Postby Sheepy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:52 am

My sit bones hurt but I'm a happy camper! Awesome experience at the store. Went in midday when it was quiet and got plenty of help, although as expected the bike fitting of buying at reid is absolutely bare bones. I knew this going in so I'm satisfied with that.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:13 pm

Sheepy wrote:My sit bones hurt but I'm a happy camper! Awesome experience at the store. Went in midday when it was quiet and got plenty of help, although as expected the bike fitting of buying at reid is absolutely bare bones. I knew this going in so I'm satisfied with that.

Nice one! With the dropped seat stays, It looks like a copy of a Giant Defy endurance bike which is a good model to try and emulate. 105 is lovely and if I'd known this model existed, I would have gone and tested it out!

Buy some padded cycling shorts if you haven't already, no need to spend the earth, $35 - $50 from Reid or Anaconda etc on sale will do just fine and that tiny bit of padding makes all the difference. Your backside will thank you!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Sheepy

Postby Sheepy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:37 pm

I haven't had time to ride as much as I'd like although I did a short ride with the wife to try out the gears and get used to the bike. Already stripped the wheel reflectors, stickers and the ass saver (save it for commuting if I need it).

I think I really need to work on the fit... I think you can tell the saddle isn't horizontal from my pic. The handlebars seem tilted to be diagonal but they're also like that in the picture and it probably helps my reach. For an endurance bike my riding form is still a bit too aggressive.

I'm having a lot of fun learning how to tweak the bike though!

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:56 pm

Get yourself a tensioned leather saddle. Then you can use the ass-saver as a Brooks-shield.

The bar angle looks pretty good to me, I don't think the modern fad of having the drops horizontal is as comfortable as having them tipped back a bit perpendicular to the head tube was the rule BITD, and that is where my bars are still.

The basic philosophy for a bike fit is to put your bum in the right place first (relative to the cranks) and then move the bars up/down or fore/aft to suit.

Cheers,

Cameron

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:56 pm

Sheepy wrote:I haven't had time to ride as much as I'd like although I did a short ride with the wife to try out the gears and get used to the bike. Already stripped the wheel reflectors, stickers and the ass saver (save it for commuting if I need it).
As much as it pained me to do so, I put my reflectors on my road bike :cry: If I come across a grumpy police officer who hates cyclists, I don't want to give them any additional reasons to ping me for anything easily avoided.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:46 pm

Mububban wrote:
Sheepy wrote:I haven't had time to ride as much as I'd like although I did a short ride with the wife to try out the gears and get used to the bike. Already stripped the wheel reflectors, stickers and the ass saver (save it for commuting if I need it).
As much as it pained me to do so, I put my reflectors on my road bike :cry: If I come across a grumpy police officer who hates cyclists, I don't want to give them any additional reasons to ping me for anything easily avoided.
Have you tried the spoke reflectors Aldi had a while back? I'm a convert to reflectives on the wheels after buying a pack. Standard stuff as required by law is narrow field of view, dim shite. They're 80mm long but I got creative with my pocket knife and am trialling some different arrangements in the hope of making them more noticeable by their apparent movement.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:09 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Have you tried the spoke reflectors Aldi had a while back? I'm a convert to reflectives on the wheels after buying a pack. Standard stuff as required by law is narrow field of view, dim shite. They're 80mm long but I got creative with my pocket knife and am trialling some different arrangements in the hope of making them more noticeable by their apparent movement.
Never heard of them until now but they are awesome. I doubt that would satisfy Hypothetical Grumpy Police Officer/legal requirements, but if it makes me look like I'm riding a Tron bike then it's a winner :D

I might have to get some before next winter's darkness sets in.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:53 pm

Mububban wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Have you tried the spoke reflectors Aldi had a while back? I'm a convert to reflectives on the wheels after buying a pack. Standard stuff as required by law is narrow field of view, dim shite. They're 80mm long but I got creative with my pocket knife and am trialling some different arrangements in the hope of making them more noticeable by their apparent movement.
Never heard of them until now but they are awesome. I doubt that would satisfy Hypothetical Grumpy Police Officer/legal requirements, but if it makes me look like I'm riding a Tron bike then it's a winner :D

I might have to get some before next winter's darkness sets in.
Shoot me your addy and I'll sling some to you, you'll get plenty of coverage if you cut them down.
London Boy 29/12/2011