New Rider

Mark0

New Rider

Postby Mark0 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi All,
I am in the market for a new road bike for a beginner being new to the sport, I have ready the sticky post for the info re buying bikes in here but have some more pointed questions.

I am fairly athletic just finishing soccer season and want something else to get into thats low impact on the body (compared to running).

I am 182cm tall and also have measured my instep and its about 83-84cm, on the calculators ive looked at they say a frame size 56 is what i need.

I am not 100% sold on new or used yet, but there is a entry level 2014 Specialized Allez Sport 56cm with the Sora Groupset on it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this bike, ive don a stack of reading and understand each groupset (tiagra, 105 and so on) is a step up but not sure what difference in the end it will make to a beginner other then me needing to upgrade bikes sooner if I really get into it.

I also need to get some peddles and was considering the A530 Touring Shimano as a beginner to give me both platform and clipless (as a beginner) then maybe upgrade to clipless only later)

The price is pretty compelling on the one I am looking at as its in great nick and my size and as a first bike to see if i want to do this longer term (not sure I want to spend $1500 upwards on my first bike).

All the new entry level bikes in LBS so far are around 899-1300 main diff I see is the groupsets in that range, but the one I am looking at is around the $500 mark (they are about $1300 new I believe).

I'll then need to buy all the rest of the gear (toolkit, tubes and so on)

I currently ride a Meridia MTB which is not to bad but not what I am after.

Anyway thanks for any assistance.

rodneycc

Re: New Rider

Postby rodneycc » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:26 pm

Its not this one is it?

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/forum ... 12&t=28492

That seems a fairly good value for $900 with the Quattros and the selle smp. Prob come down more.

Hard to go past those new 11 speed bikes at Reid cycles (Falco Elite and Vantage Endurance 2).

Edit: Sorry I missed the bit about a $500 budget. Well yeah go and test ride the secondhand one and see what you think. Prob grab that if its good because like you said you won't find anything like that price new (maybe a Reid Osprey) but I'd go the Specialized with Sora if its in good nick for 450-$500.
Last edited by rodneycc on Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Mark0

Postby Mark0 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:46 am

No not that one the one i am looking at has sora groupset.
I did look at the new reid falco advanced they are down to 699 from 999 and it has mostly 105 groupset with a few tiagra parts, that does look good value.
But im also tossing up commiting 700 v 450 for my first bike which will enable me to see if i really like the sport.
Ive done a stack of reading and most people say as a beginner the sora groupset works just fine.
An advantage of the reid is it would be fitted where the specialized is second hand although i have checked the specialized fitting guide and this bike looks right for me, also better quality groupset might mean it lasts me longer before any upgrade, but then again specialized seems to be a better brand.
Its hard as a beginner to make the decision tbh.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:36 am

Mark0 wrote: But im also tossing up commiting 700 v 450 for my first bike which will enable me to see if i really like the sport.
Seems you have already answered the question yourself.

If you really like the sport, none of the bikes mentioned will hold your attention for long. Best not to overcommit on any of them. You'll need plenty of cash for the inevitable upgrade.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Mark0

Postby Mark0 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:47 am

Cheers ronk thats what i needed to know is that sepnding a bit more on better gear now might be fruitless as i will want a better bike in the future that might be a 2 to 3 k and the lower price braket biles i am looking at now are all about the same level.

Cheers all

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:59 am

I think buy the bike you want now. I've gone through two bikes so far trying to save money and looking again at another upgrade because both haven't been what I really wanted. As long as it feels comfortable and is within your budget you should get it. I'd have a look at the Giant Contend range.
Also in regards to pedals have a look at the Shimano M324. If you're more comfortable on platform pedals I've just put these on my bike and the platforms are quite good. It's great for when you aren't feeling too confident being clipped in you can just switch over to the platforms (high traffic areas etc)

Mark0

Postby Mark0 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:16 am

Ok so I am off to buy this bike today, another morning of riding on my Meridia Glide S20 has pushed me over the edge to change bikes my gears keep slipping or skipping, been back to LBS 2 days in a row.
Anyway I cant wait to get the bike and get out there, I think I will get some M324 pedals as suggested and as I get better I assume I will replace with clipless only.
Need to get Shorts and a Jersey then I think I am kitted out for now (have Helmet, Lights, Toolkit, Pump), the guy I am buying it of is a year or so ahead of me, bought this for his fist bike, love the sport spent a mint on a new better bike and time to move this one off.

Thanks for the help guys.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:04 am

Look forward to hearing the updates on the bike.

Hopefully the M324 suit your needs - Wiggle had them the cheapest when I was looking, half the price of Local places. These pedals also come with multi release cleats - however I am yet to work out any other way to get out of them other than the traditional twist of the ankle. I actually thought I would do the same and replace with clipless only pedals eventually too but I am actually enjoying both options just for those short rides or annoying rides where you have to stop all the time you can just ride on your platforms.

Aldi have shorts and jersey's on sale this week if your after a cheaper option. Seem to do the job.

Mark0

Postby Mark0 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:13 am

Fergy you are a champion, I didnt know Aldi had that stuff coming up, as a beginner this stuff will work for me (might get laughed at) but again its about getting started.
I bought the Snow Ski gear from there for the whole family and we went to queenstown in august for a week, it worked a treat and was more the half the price of normal brands so I have no issue with Aldi gear.
I seen the pedals on Wiggle, Do they come with the cleats or you have to buy them on top of the pedals, I might buy them now says 8 days shipping which is fine.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:21 am

Mark0 wrote:Fergy you are a champion, I didnt know Aldi had that stuff coming up, as a beginner this stuff will work for me (might get laughed at) but again its about getting started.
I bought the Snow Ski gear from there for the whole family and we went to queenstown in august for a week, it worked a treat and was more the half the price of normal brands so I have no issue with Aldi gear.
I seen the pedals on Wiggle, Do they come with the cleats or you have to buy them on top of the pedals, I might buy them now says 8 days shipping which is fine.
Pedals definitely come with cleats - Should be the SM-SH56 cleats if you want to have a look at them online. If you don't already have one I would also suggest a pedal wrench if its required. Might not use it heaps but it made the job quite easy for me for someone who has never taken pedals off a bike.

All of my cycling clothing is from Aldi or picked up from Anaconda when they have a sale - however I go down the more relaxed path and buy their fitness shorts (with a pair of knicks underneath) and t-shirts rather than actual cycling jerseys because I find cycling jerseys quite restrictive. But definitely personal preference...........at the end of the day doesn't matter what you're wearing - as long as you're wearing something!

Mark0

Postby Mark0 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:29 am

yer I'll be at Aldi sat morning at opening time :)
we have an anaconda near us as well so can check in there from time to time.
So far ive been riding in shorts with my full length skins underneath (I have them from soccer training in winter) its been ok so far.
Shirts just been like an Adidas or asics training shirt normally bright coloured.
I have a heap of spanners at home i get the kids pedals on and off with so hopefully its just the same as this.

I might order the pedals now, they are like $48.00 with about $10 freight, Anaconda has them for $150 :|

Next will be to find some shoes for the cleats, thanks for your help.

Mark0

Postby Mark0 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:49 am

Bike's now at home, quick trip to a new LBS this morning, Pump, CO2, Tyre Irons, Patch Kit, 2 spare tubes, saddle bag - BOUGHT
Still to get Pedals and Shoes but had a look at some this morning think I have settled on what.
Im just about ready to go on the road.