26" hardtail frames?

adaml

26" hardtail frames?

Postby adaml » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:48 am

I'm currently using an old, 26" v-braked MTB as my daily commuter, but both rims are now shot. The original plan was to put a new rim on the front (dynohub) wheel and buy a new rear wheel. However, I have a disc-braked rear wheel lying spare, along with a set of hydraulic disc brakes, so I was thinking about buying a disc-compatible frame instead. My dynohub has disc mounts so the rebuilt front wheel will work with either type of brake.
The only thing is that 26" frames are pretty thin on the ground these days. The only thing I've found that looks suitable is On-One's Inbred, but getting a set of full mudguards on to it would be difficult at best because it lacks a chainstay bridge. Something like a Thorn Sherpa or Surly LHT would be way out of my price range, and finding a used frame used will probably take a while as I need an XL size. Are there any options I'm missing?

Calvin27

Re: 26" hardtail frames?

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:10 pm

How much are you planning to spend on this?

Unless you have some awesome grouset and forks on the bike, I'd say you are leaning towards a 'grandpas axe' situation.

You can try ze germanz at discount bike. 26" frames around $100 mark plus flat E25 postage (you can actually buy a whole weight rack for that flat postage price!). I like on-one but their postage prices are phenomenal. If you want local, cycling deal and cycle express have some chinese branded cheapies for $100.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Calvin27

Re: 26" hardtail frames?

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:12 pm

There us a 26" giant Yukon xl for 100 on gumtree.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike