Buying Wheels - GST and Customs experience

4Ever4Now

Buying Wheels - GST and Customs experience

Postby 4Ever4Now » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:21 am

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with customs and GST when buying something over $1000 from OS?

I bought a set of wheels + some other stuff from PBK and according to trakpak tracking, the parcel is stuck at customs. The cost of the package was just over $1200 so I'm assuming it's there because I'm gonna get slogged with the GST and import duty.

So what I want to know is, how long will it take them to notify me that I need to pay this tax, and what is the fastest way of going about paying the tax so I can get my stuff ASAP.

Thanks in advance!

Ross

Re: Buying Wheels - GST and Customs experience

Postby Ross » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:10 pm

Shouldn't be any duty payable on wheels but you will have to pay GST. Probably take a couple of days for customs or a broker to send you a bill.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:44 pm

When you get the bill - which is to be paid before the items are released, take a critical look at each item. The delivery company may choose to add unreasonable extra fees.
Cycling is in my BNA

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:06 pm

On a related note, anyone have experience buying something normally over >$1000 but discounted to slightly under $1000, from the UK? I think I read the Customs uses their own exchange rates. Also potentially the invoice shows the original price and then the discount etc. In short I'm worried about them considering me just over $1000 and stinging me for the GST (plus handling fees).

snortin

Postby snortin » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:36 am

4Ever4Now wrote:Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with customs and GST when buying something over $1000 from OS?

I bought a set of wheels + some other stuff from PBK and according to trakpak tracking, the parcel is stuck at customs. The cost of the package was just over $1200 so I'm assuming it's there because I'm gonna get slogged with the GST and import duty.

So what I want to know is, how long will it take them to notify me that I need to pay this tax, and what is the fastest way of going about paying the tax so I can get my stuff ASAP.

Thanks in advance!
I got wheels from Chainreaction in March (carbon Easton EC90 that were $4500 reduced to $1900). Toll were the courier. I got stuck in a situation where I needed to pay the customs broker fee - cost $340 to have them released from customs and delivered. I could have argued and said I was going to sort the clearance myself, but ended up paying the broker. I was looking at around $200 in fees and taxes anyway, so probably spent $100 more than I should have for the ease of having someone else do the paperwork and delivering the item to me.
Duty should have been 0% on wheels according to the government website. Apparently duty of 5% is for full bicycles. You will have to pay GST on cost of item plus transport and insurance.
Up to you how to proceed but I would be ringing customs with the consignment number and seeing if you could do it yourself (they will provide limited help for you if it is your first time and is going to be a one-off).

Rioli2Gunstall

Postby Rioli2Gunstall » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:04 am

I just had a package arrive similar to that cost and had to pay 250~ to have it released. About 150 in gst and 100 in other charges including gvmnt charges and stamp duties.

cev

Postby cev » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:59 pm

DHL has its own customs and clearence people. As soon as it lands they send you a text message. Ring or pay online and they release it. Europe to me in 5 days no more messing around with customs agents and paperwork.

Rioli2Gunstall

Postby Rioli2Gunstall » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:56 am

cev wrote:DHL has its own customs and clearence people. As soon as it lands they send you a text message. Ring or pay online and they release it. Europe to me in 5 days no more messing around with customs agents and paperwork.
I see, yes i got a phone call and paid it and then the next day i had my wheels. Now with the wheels on i have forgotten all about it.
Just a break down of my order from wiggle:
Ordered friday 3 pm
Arrived Melbourne sat 2 pm (Say What)
Call about clearance on monday
Delivery on Tuesday

That is with the free postage, i have no idea how they could get it hear quicker if i paid for express! As it is it feels like they had a plane ready and waiting to throw my order on :)

Velt

Postby Velt » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:15 pm

ProBikeKit- Purchased some wheels on the 14/9 they got caught in customs on the 20/9. Contacted by PBK to resolve customs on 26/9. Recieved invoice for broker and gst (organised by PBK or the carrier) and paid on 29/9. Released from customs 30/9. Due for delivery today 3/10. Took a little while but overall a pretty painless process.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:15 pm

hamishm wrote:On a related note, anyone have experience buying something normally over >$1000 but discounted to slightly under $1000, from the UK?
Just to follow up, Merlin actually printed the invoice in AUD, showing a total of $974, and I did not have to pay any GST/duty etc. Nice.

Carriage

Postby Carriage » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:17 am

For reference, I have had that experience with camera lenses I bought from the US. I bought two that ended up being ~900AUD because they were on sale but if they weren't they'd end up as over $1000. On the shipping label they listed the full price and so I got a call from FedEx about duties and GST. I let the woman know that I didn't pay more than 1000AUD, she assumed I was confused about the exchange rate (i.e. I'd paid less than 1000USD), I reiterated that I didn't spend more than 1000AUD and sent them the invoice emails (seller and paypal). My lenses were then released without further hassle.

No idea what happens if you're on that funny edge if they have used a different exchange rate. I suppose what you paid in AUD on your invoice is what it cost you so they'd have to use that.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:36 pm

Carriage wrote:No idea what happens if you're on that funny edge if they have used a different exchange rate. I suppose what you paid in AUD on your invoice is what it cost you so they'd have to use that.
Tricky. I had expected Merlin to bill and invoice in GBP and only display the AUD prices out of convenience. In the end I paid exactly the AUD amount they quoted on the invoice - PLUS my VISA card's 3% foreign transaction fee which put it over $1000 (but customs only see the amount before fee).

I don't think all shops would actually be doing the billing that way so the actual price might be less predictable.