Can't buy SRAM groupsets in Australia from overseas online retailers?

mmel

Can't buy SRAM groupsets in Australia from overseas online retailers?

Postby mmel » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:03 pm

I had put this in the online purchases thread, but I would like some wider discussion about it.

I tried looking for a SRAM Rival groupset online, and none of the usual places seemed to have them (wiggle/ribble/chainreaction, merlin would let you add it to your basket but then complain when you went to checkout saying they can't ship that part to Australia).

I contacted a couple of retailers, and they responded with:
  • "I'm afraid that due to shipping restrictions placed by our suppliers we are unable to send SRAM to Australia at present, really sorry."
  • "Unfortunately we can no longer sell SRAM outside of the EU. We appreciate this is frustrating but we are bound by various supplier restrictions that leave us unable to help you out with what you are looking for."
Seems really scummy if you ask me! :x

I'll be looking at a Shimano/Campagnolo build if SRAM are going to be pulling BS like this.

The one place I did find is tbsm.com.au, which is 50-70% more expensive than the other retailers.

Any ways around this? Or should I just not reward their bad behaviour by trying to work around the blocks they've put in place.

Trevtassie

Re: Can't buy SRAM groupsets in Australia from overseas online retailers?

Postby Trevtassie » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:45 pm

Welcome to the world of Australia's middle men, who believe that they, as exclusive distributors, deserve retail margins.
In the meantime find a mail forwarding service. Yeah, you'll have to pay 17.5% VAT, but at least you're not giving somebody a BMW for running a warehouse.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:04 pm

yeah this happens all the time, wiggle have only just started selling garmin stuff again after getting the shutdown a year or so ago, they also had to stop selling asics and brooks running shoes.
The local guys get bent out of shape that the online places are undercutting them, complain a heap and the companies put their foot down.
I can understand the local guys point of view, it just sucks that Australia is such a small market that the normal distribution model doesn't really work, I mean wiggle/c r c probably buy way more stock than the Australian distributor of any brand, so huge volume with low margin...
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:06 pm

Each brand has their own approach, mavic is well known for doing this and wholesalers and dealers across the globe certainly want to push the business through their own doors if they are getting competition from online retail.

SRAM don't provide local warranty on parts purchased outside Australia. I can understand this although SRAM Australia is part of SRAM Global so essentially is the same company.

Shimano however will do warranty for items purchased overseas. A lot of bike shops would prefer that the groupsets and accessories were not available overseas however as the biggest component brand, they have limited say.

I think the bit where you can be upset is that the Headquarters have different pricing and allows an online retailers to not only be marginally higher priced, but substantially higher priced. If the price is 50%+ more locally, then the brand strategy and overheads are not working in the favour of the customer. For SRAM seeking to be more competitive, they need to look at becoming more attractive and even global pricing would help... infact it is possible as some brands do this already and (legally) ensure that wholesale pricing is fairer.

If you are after a groupset, buy a new bike with the groupset and then strip the parts and sell the frame and other bits.

Or you could use a mail forwarding service. They are popular in the US (where prices for bikes and parts online is not that cheap for Aussies) and I am sure there are options in the UK as well.

Or buy a competitor brand... and let SRAM know. At this stage, brands are not getting enough feedback or resistance from customers - in the short term while some gear is cheaper online, it is fairer for all (customers, dealers, wholesalers, brand) when the the brand doesn't create the massive discrepancies.

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:22 pm

Bike24 will ship.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:40 pm

I have zero tolerance for stuff like this. I won't use sram anymore after this until they fix it. I care little for the sob stories of middlemen etc. Big corporates want the benefits of globalisation but still apply geo-tax. Go screw yourself sram, same goes to mavic. I haven't even got a garmin but they are back on the list - the 20 is just what I need. Apologies /endrant
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:34 am

Calm down mate.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:44 am

RonK wrote:Bike24 will ship.
Not anymore
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

mmel

Postby mmel » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:52 am

mogwaiboi wrote:
Not anymore
Oh wow, they stomped on that pretty quickly!

Velt

Postby Velt » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:04 am

It's the same for SRAM subsidiaries too. Can't buy zipp wheels from those places either.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:30 am

Just don't buy SRAM if they choose to rip off the Australian market. Only fools keep rewarding this exploitative behaviour by buying their products.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:19 pm

Let 'em know how you feel on Twiiter @SRAMroad

And Facebook SRAMroad
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:09 pm

twitter.com/SRAMaustralia
twitter.com/SRAMroad

Well...back to the bad old days. Looks like I'll be hanging onto my two Force groupsets for the foreseeable and not upgrading to Force 22 any time soon.

Jim

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:18 am

mmel wrote:
mogwaiboi wrote:
Not anymore
Oh wow, they stomped on that pretty quickly!
They probably read this thread.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:13 am

Calvin27 wrote:I have zero tolerance for stuff like this. I won't use sram anymore after this until they fix it. I care little for the sob stories of middlemen etc. Big corporates want the benefits of globalisation but still apply geo-tax. Go screw yourself sram, same goes to mavic. I haven't even got a garmin but they are back on the list - the 20 is just what I need. Apologies /endrant
+1 Well said.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:36 pm

mogwaiboi wrote:
Not anymore
Yep, went to get a spare cassette today, having only recently purchased a Red22 RD & Cassette from them for my R5 build, and not long before that I replaced the old Apex shifters with some Rival ones. Now it looks like it's just a blanket ban on anything with a SRAM brand, including consumables such as brake pads (Avid), chains, cassettes. You name it, it's gone. I guess instead of buying a new cassette locally, I can just swap over to Shimano Di2. Problem solved.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:51 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Each brand has their own approach, mavic is well known for doing this and wholesalers and dealers across the globe certainly want to push the business through their own doors if they are getting competition from online retail.
Once upon a time (about two decades ago) I had some sympathy for this when the in-country retailers were responsible for in-country marketing and the global brand did zero marketing (e.g. Grado). Back then, local papers and local magazines mattered.

Today, that's just so much bunkum. What brands should be doing is providing a seamless, single interface to brand: local bricks & mortar and web pages drive sales everywhere, regardless of who's got the stock today.

Current best practice is: talk to us in person and on-line; buy anywhere; zero shipping fees (or pick up in store) if you pay RRP. Return/repair anywhere. And both branded stores and resellers have the same deals and, importantly, support each other.

( I was recently after some specific shoes and, because of the brand, the sales person rang their competitor up the street to see if they had the stock the brand's IT system said they did. )

And getting the financials sorted out has been a solved problem for a decade or so. See Apple "we make no profits here" Inc. for example
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:06 pm

Given that SRAM Australia don't have a Facebook page, and their Twitter hasn't been used since April, I'd say they had lost focus and are now getting head office to give them a leg up. SRAM Road are non-responsive to anything.

Meanwhile, Shimano Au are doing much better on that front and will probably get any new business I can afford. And they know it.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:10 pm

queequeg wrote: Now it looks like it's just a blanket ban on anything with a SRAM brand, including consumables such as brake pads (Avid), chains, cassettes. You name it, it's gone.
I totally didn't even think about brake pads. I hope sram get absolutely smashed in this regard. If you are buying a complete bike I'd hope that Aussies have the sense to snob anything with Sram on it, tell the bike shop and ask them to tell the bike manufacturer. Best outcome is they stop building bikes with oem srams stuff here because of their discriminatory policies.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

march83

Postby march83 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:22 pm

just going through this to replace the pads on my s700 discs. local retailer or buy off-brand form an international store. I know which i will be doing...

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:45 pm

familyguy wrote:Given that SRAM Australia don't have a Facebook page, and their Twitter hasn't been used since April, I'd say they had lost focus and are now getting head office to give them a leg up. SRAM Road are non-responsive to anything.
SRAM Australia is a dealer support,service and product training office; they don't actually bring the stuff in for wholesale distribution.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:50 pm

One of my bikes has SRAM Apex gears. If I can't get replacement cassettes then I'll just get Shimano. Really, what do they think we are going to do?

Businesses exist to make profits, I have no sympathy for any of them really. I just want quality at a reasonable price and good service at bricks and mortar stores.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:53 pm

Duck! wrote:
familyguy wrote:Given that SRAM Australia don't have a Facebook page, and their Twitter hasn't been used since April, I'd say they had lost focus and are now getting head office to give them a leg up. SRAM Road are non-responsive to anything.
SRAM Australia is a dealer support,service and product training office; they don't actually bring the stuff in for wholesale distribution.
Who is local distro? Are SRAM head officw themselves doing that? Seems all the more silly a move to try to claw back a little profit at the cost of what could be significant market share.

Jim

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:58 pm

Monza Imports (based in Melbourne)are SRAM's main distro in Aus, have been for many years but Echelon Sports in Queensland also deal with SRAM Road & Zipp, a continuation from being the Zipp importer from before SRAM bought Zipp.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:22 am

Meanwhile, Shimano Au are doing much better on that front and will probably get any new business I can afford. And they know it.
I have a sram crank/chainrings on one of my bikes. When it comes time to replace them, they'll probably be replaced with Shimano.
queequeg wrote:I guess instead of buying a new cassette locally, I can just swap over to Shimano Di2. Problem solved.
I hope SRAM takes note of the above. If you frustrate customers, they'll take their business to a rival brand. Shimano Di2 is excellent anyway.