Can't buy SRAM groupsets in Australia from overseas online retailers?

find_bruce

Re: Can't buy SRAM groupsets in Australia from overseas online retailers?

Postby find_bruce » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:21 pm

Comedian wrote:if they did offer excellent local support and parts backup at reasonable prices through local retailers then I'd actually consider it a positive. #justsaying. :shock:
That's actually the nub of it - SRAM in Australia through their antiquated distributor model do not offer either support nor prices - if you look through the comments above they only carry a select amount of what they think will sell best & their prices are more than double those overseas. This is not the local bike shops fault, I am sure that their wholesale prices are dearer than OS retail prices.

I didn't pay too much attention during economics, but I am not aware of a business model that goes reduced availability + increased price = profit. If SRAM's Australian business can't compete due to their excessive costs, improving their distribution model

I am not outraged at SRAM, they have clearly communicated that they do not want my business & I am happy to take it elsewhere. I'll save my outrage for the online giants who are giving in to this anti-competitive behaviour. Individuals taking their business elsewhere are unlikely to change SRAM's views in the short term, Wiggle/c r c etc making a public announcement that they are not going to carry any SRAM if they can't sell it to all of their customers would send a much stronger message.

am50em

Postby am50em » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:27 pm

My reading of article was that if online stores sold to overseas customers, then the local distributor would not sell to the online stores. The distributors in each region is what SRAM control. Blaming online stores does not appear to valid.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:33 pm

am50em wrote:My reading of article was that if online stores sold to overseas customers, then the local distributor would not sell to the online stores. The distributors in each region is what SRAM control. Blaming online stores does not appear to valid.
But the online stores could respond by threatening to not sell any SRAM products if they cared about customers outside of Europe (which in Wiggle's case I'd imagine that Australian customers would be pretty important).

am50em

Postby am50em » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:35 pm

I think the EU market would be more important. At least for the next couple of years. :wink:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:52 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Comedian wrote:if they did offer excellent local support and parts backup at reasonable prices through local retailers then I'd actually consider it a positive. #justsaying. :shock:
That's actually the nub of it - SRAM in Australia through their antiquated distributor model do not offer either support nor prices - if you look through the comments above they only carry a select amount of what they think will sell best & their prices are more than double those overseas. This is not the local bike shops fault, I am sure that their wholesale prices are dearer than OS retail prices.
Sorry I didn't realise. In that case I guess they will get what they have coming. :|

Personally I wouldn't mine paying a little more than on-line if I got excellent parts backup (if they are indeed reading this).

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:22 am

biker jk wrote:
am50em wrote:My reading of article was that if online stores sold to overseas customers, then the local distributor would not sell to the online stores. The distributors in each region is what SRAM control. Blaming online stores does not appear to valid.
But the online stores could respond by threatening to not sell any SRAM products if they cared about customers outside of Europe (which in Wiggle's case I'd imagine that Australian customers would be pretty important).
Online stores couldn't give a damn as they know what the ramifications can be ie lost sales to compeditors and total product blacklisting should they proceed with os/online selling (Sram, quarq, Zipp, rockshox all fall under the same manufacture) along with possible sponsorship deals and legal issues outside the online realm.

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:13 am

Comedian wrote:Personally I wouldn't mine paying a little more than on-line if I got excellent parts backup (if they are indeed reading this).
And that is the nub of the problem. We are paying a LOT more for a worse service. They try to justify it on the basis of the GST, warehouse costs, labour costs, the smaller market... but all those things, except the smaller market, exist for the online retailers... and they have the postage cost to consider too.

I'd pay a little more too, just to keep the retailer there with a ready helping hand. But the problem for both customers and retailers is the present attitudes of the distributors, and not just in the bicycle trade.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:44 am

find_bruce wrote:That's actually the nub of it - SRAM in Australia through their antiquated distributor model do not offer either support nor prices - if you look through the comments above they only carry a select amount of what they think will sell best & their prices are more than double those overseas. This is not the local bike shops fault, I am sure that their wholesale prices are dearer than OS retail prices.
We've been hearing this for years about most of the bike distributors in Australia. Too slow, too little stock, too expensive. Why doesn't anything change?

acraick

Postby acraick » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:33 pm

Comedian wrote:I really do take on and understand the outrage of the contributors here.

However I do understand the issues as well. From a retailers perspective things are becoming untenable - and I think we need shops around. Most people contributing in here have been around for a while and are capable of keeping themselves on the road - but this is not the norm and for most people they need strong shops with good staff and access to tech knowledge, and parts. That's good for cycling's accessibility.

If you look at Shimano - if it wasn't for overseas suppliers you wouldn't have any parts backup as far as I can tell. I've never owned any sram - but I think if they did offer excellent local support and parts backup at reasonable prices through local retailers then I'd actually consider it a positive. #justsaying. :shock:
This is not about retailers. This is about the manufacturers and distributors acting in an anti-competitive manner. This impacts retailers and end users. Manufacturers want to keep their margins high. They don't want retailers being able to shop around and give their customers better prices. The fact we are getting ripped off only came to light once we could see online overseas prices. Part of the difference is market size obviously. But the whole shipping and local support (ever played the 'waiting on the local rep' for three weeks game with a retailer?) is now a BS argument. Paying a premium on parts to support a local business is great. Paying a premium to line the pockets of middle men and manufacturers is not fair on anyone.

am50em

Postby am50em » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:49 pm

I have been looking to replace my commuter (an old Shogun Trailbreaker) for a while. Initially planned to get the Cell Ultimo 2 but was put off because it uses SRAM components and given SRAMs behaviour ...
Instead I bought the Reid Urban X3 with Shimano components which arrived today (ordered Tuesday night, delivered Thursday lunch). Nice!
Handlebars are very low and a bit narrow for me so have ordered new stem and bars which should make it a great commuter for me.
Big advantage is the disc brakes and common ten speed consumables with my other two bikes. Plus it is about 6kg lighter.

Looking forward to tomorrow's commute even if it rains in the afternoon!

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:46 pm

For what it's worth at this stage, indexing of Amazon.com.au lists Sram components, take it with a hefty dose of salt yet but there might be some joy after c r c & Wiggle et all pulled the option.

https://www.google.com.au/search?client ... TDXpeym5AE