looking for some new shorts

ausvegguykk

looking for some new shorts

Postby ausvegguykk » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:25 pm

hey guys, i want to buy some new cycling shorts... i want a new pair of bib shorts and a pair of non bib shorts

i was wondering if there are any tried and tested brands or products i should look at?
i want to spend up to about $150 on the bib, and just cheap for the non bibs

any suggestions?

i will probably be shopping at c r c or wiggle

warthog1

Re: looking for some new shorts

Postby warthog1 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:31 pm

Dogs are the best people :wink:

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:41 pm

I've always liked Pearl Izumi Attack shorts or the cheaper Quest short. The Attack shorts can be bought for about $70.00 these days.
Comfy and well padded though the lycra seems to break down quicker than it used to.
A mate of mine has been impressed with Endura Gel pad type shorts. Bought on special from Torpedo7 he thinks they are excellent value.
Can't help with bibs, I've never worn them.

Edit; come to think of it, does anybody know of a long lasting lycra short. Mine fall apart after about a year of (on average) weekly use, so 50 washings and wearings. I'm quite sure PI shorts used to hold together longer.

idler

Postby idler » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:56 pm

La Passione from Italy (very fast shipping) for $138. Free shipping if you spend over $150.
Rikulau Stainless Steel, Hillbrick Steel, Specialized Tarmac

ausvegguykk

Postby ausvegguykk » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:13 pm

i have a pair of DHB shorts now, they are holding up pretty well, had them for about 8 months now and very little signs of wear, but i wanted to try some higher quality stuff and see if there is a difference

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:23 pm

if you can extend your budget slightly, Rapha Core bibs for $180
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:36 pm

Castelli, specially the lightweight Aero Race for hot weather.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:19 pm

Giordana silverlines are my go to work horse bibs. I've done 240km rides in them so they are OK comfort wise. Their main strength is their durability. Take a hammering in the wash and keep going.
They used to be cheap at Ribble but are creeping up in price now :(
Dogs are the best people :wink:

slowK

Postby slowK » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:13 am

warthog1 wrote:Giordana silverlines are my go to work horse bibs. I've done 240km rides in them so they are OK comfort wise. Their main strength is their durability. Take a hammering in the wash and keep going.
They used to be cheap at Ribble but are creeping up in price now :(
Yep - the Giordana Silverlines work for me too. I've had both bibs and non-bib versions. Both fine. Also have a set of Castelli nano flex 3/4 bibs which have also been great (especially when it's cooler).

Had two paris of DHB bibs. For some reason, they just haven't been very comfy for me (in the saddle area, not braces/cuffs/legs). But lots of people love them, and they're good value.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:47 am

Just don't get the bottom end Wiggle / DHB range. I find the low end stuff is of reasonable quality, however the fit is not that great. When I purchase some of the cheapies for commuting, I found around the waist area was quite loose.

limbot

Postby limbot » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:58 pm

Tim wrote:I've always liked Pearl Izumi .... the cheaper Quest short. The Attack shorts can be bought for about $70.00 these days.
Comfy and well padded though the lycra seems to break down quicker than it used to..
+1 on the Pearl Izumi Quest bibs. Was looking for some better ones than the ones I had to wear on the AGF. Lot's of positive reviews on the web for them. Can be had for around $90 off Pushy's. Bought a pair but they didn't arrive in time to get "worn in" before the AGF. Washed them and took a chance wearing them for the 120km ride and (luckily) not an issue.

YAMV (Your Arse May Vary :) )

march83

Postby march83 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:04 pm

in my closet at the moment i have mid-range DHB stuff, giordana silverlines and rapha core.

the rapha cores are every bit a $180 bib. lovely, can wear them for 10hrs and still feel good. strictly road and weekend kit though - don't want to be wearing them out in the washing machine or crashing on the dirt in them.

dhb stuff is mainly for mtb/cx. it's ok, not great for more than a few hours at a time but it does the job. they wear quickly though, probably only good for 2 seasons before they're looking pretty shabby.

silverlines are threadbare but the chamois is still fine so i still wear them on the trainer and under shorts for commuting. I think i bought 5 pairs at about $60 each about 8years ago and all but 1 is still in the mix and going strong. also worth mentioning, the silverlines are a little short in the leg - definitely a more traditional cut to mid-thigh, unlike the more modern kits with grippers extending all the way down to the knee.

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:19 pm

Not into bibs myself. I have 4 pair of cheap Limar nicks which have done about 15,000km between them. They get washed after every ride. No sign of wear except the logos come off. I expect them to last me another couple of years yet. Cost about $35 each and I cannot fault them.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

idler

Postby idler » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Just got some De Marchi bibs from c r c - very quick delivery. Very impressive quality and on sale for $112 (made in Hungary). True to size - but have long legs.
Rikulau Stainless Steel, Hillbrick Steel, Specialized Tarmac

DG1984

Postby DG1984 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:50 pm

idler wrote:La Passione from Italy (very fast shipping) for $138. Free shipping if you spend over $150.
This.

They use the same chamois as some of the Rapha bibs.

Really, really well put together. They are about 10x better than my previous Castelli bibs which were great - and these are cheaper. So good I ended up placing a second order 2-3 days after my first set arrived. I've got a 10% off coupon floating around somewhere too if you do end up going this route.

Rioli2Gunstall

Postby Rioli2Gunstall » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:17 am

minhyy wrote:if you can extend your budget slightly, Rapha Core bibs for $180
Thats my choice, good support around shoulders to keep everything well in place. Never had an issue with comfort. Rapha also have a repair service. "Rapha offers a free repair service when a crash or accident has damaged a garment or a failure has occurred even after significant usage"

Atomic_Sheep

Postby Atomic_Sheep » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:22 pm

I've got some specialized shorts and they are aging quite well. They even survived a crash. My skin didn't but they are just fine.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:32 pm

Atomic_Sheep wrote:I've got some specialized shorts and they are aging quite well. They even survived a crash. My skin didn't but they are just fine.
Yeah, they are okay -fairly decent quality.

Other than those, Cuore Switzerland. I've got Cuore 'gold' kit. It is just so good.

Size S fits me perfectly in the Gold line, the silver line has a bit more relaxed fit.