Kuota on special at cycling express - opinions?

grimbo

Kuota on special at cycling express - opinions?

Postby grimbo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:26 pm

Asking for a friend who is keen to get a carbon roadie as cheaply as possible. He found this Kuota special at Cycling Express:
http://www.cyclingexpress.com/en/produc ... -bike.html

Good:
Quality Italian brand, so hopefully ok?
It's carbon
Has mostly 105
Only $999

Bad
Seem to have a bunch of no-name Chinese parts (spokes, seatpost, stem, handlebar)
Alex rims - bound to be heavy
Tektro brakes, don't like
Bottom bracket is "FSA BB-4000 MegaExo" - doesn't sound very standard from what I can find out

Obviously you get what you pay for, and it might be ok for a year or so, then can try and upgrade the bits as they wear out. Gut feeling is it's a bit of a stinker so probably fairly priced. Any opinions gratefully received.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

Calvin27

Re: Kuota on special at cycling express - opinions?

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:29 pm

A mate of mine has that bike (or last model they had I think).

Goes fine. If you are after branded components like stems and stuff then buy something else. But this is good value and the stuff works -except for the brakes :P.

Wheels I wouldn't worry about, the stuff you get on branded bikes is not much better and everyone upgrades them anyway.

On the BB, a quick google revelas the BBs go for about $50. Looks like a strange 19mm spindle. Good news is the BB thread is standard english which is fairly standard should you want to change it.

Go for it I say.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

paule11

Re: Kuota on special at cycling express - opinions?

Postby paule11 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:05 pm

Sounds alright Kuotas I have seen look good dont know how much it weighs would guess the wheels are pushing 2kg. Carbon and 105 for that price is good could always buy some better brakes second hand and get some wheels around 1600 grams or less for about $400ish in the future.