Flat Bar vs Endurance Road bikes.

fergy1987

Flat Bar vs Endurance Road bikes.

Postby fergy1987 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:58 pm

So I understand the difference between a flat bar road bike and a drop bar road bike. But with the influx of "Endurance" bikes with more relaxed geometry I'm just wondering what are the difference between these and a flat bar road bike (besides the drops)

Both have a more upright position when riding so riding on the hoods of an endurance bike would it be any different to riding a flat bar.

Are there any other key differences that would make the ride different.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Flat Bar vs Endurance Road bikes.

Postby Duck! » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:18 pm

There is very little difference in position between a flat-bar roadie and an endurance roadie when on the tops. An endurance roadie brings the greater versatility of the drops.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:25 pm

I'd add slightly more drag on the flat bar. Elbows are in more of a natural position to be tucked away than on a flat bar.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:07 am

I think there is a reasonable difference, I have a Giant Defy and commute on a Merida Speeder. Defy is definitely more of a 'head first' position and a Merida a bit more upright.

NewStew

Postby NewStew » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:00 am

Would agree that while endurance road bikes (like my Trek Domane) are more relaxed than a more aggressive race oriented bike they are no where near as sit up as a flat bar road bike (I also have a Giant CRX for wet commuting). The big difference though comes in the way that places the hips on the saddle and the more natural (and more varied) positions for the hands on the bars. On a flat bar for a long ride I find that I tend to get very sore hands as the position is all wrong and there isnt anywhere else to put them (unless with bar ends) and also the with the more upright seating I found it put more pressure on the backside (rather than the ubiquitous sit bones) giving a numb bum.

I also had a chat with someone in a bike shop recently about "flat bar road bikes" and their comment was than not many true flat bar road bikes (bikes with a frame geometry similar to an endurance road bike but with flat bars) are made these days and the majority tend to be hybid like geometry in the frames but with thinner tyres, lighter frames and no suspension. Not sure how true that is though.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:06 pm

After a lifetime of only ever riding flat bar bikes, I've got my first drop bar endurance road bike and am loving it. I'm in the drops more than I thought I'd use them, not just the hoods.

The upright bike has now been relegated to tootling along with my young kids or popping down to the shops.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!