V brake pad replacement.

fergy1987

V brake pad replacement.

Postby fergy1987 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:53 pm

Hi
I'm looking at replacing my brake pads on my flat bar. I believe I currently have Tektro 70mm V brake pads but looking online pads come in different lengths and compounds.
I just want something that lasts with good stopping power. Kool stop seems to be the recommendation but I'm not sure what is suitable for my bike. Frames are just alloy rims.

Can anyone provide any suggestions for a decent set?

Thank you

DavidS

Re: V brake pad replacement.

Postby DavidS » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:15 pm

As far as I know all V Brake pads are the same size, I've never had a problem and both of my bikes have V Brakes.

I have bought Kool Stop and Swiss Stop pads and both have been very good but most pads have worked fine except the really cheap ones. Just shop around and you should be fine.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:18 pm

Just buy a set of the cheapest replaceable pad holders and pads ie something like Clarkes, in 70mm and get some Kool Stop Pads, they do a bunch of different ones. Summer the dual compound multi section Black and Salmon are good, winter time Salmon will give you plenty of stopping power in the rain. That being said, the last set of Clarkes I got had black pads and an extra set of "Salmon" ones for around $7 for the lot. If you end up with 50mm it won't make a lot of difference to stopping power.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:23 pm

I have been using these they contain a holder so come replacement time you can just slide the worn out pad and replace them with this. I don't save any money doing it this way as you can see.

Koolstop also make these which will fit a v-brake. Salmon is marketed towards better wet performance.

personally I use the salmon on the road bike and both the road bike brake pads as well as the tectonic ones I use above on the flat bar commuter have lasted years.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Would these be suitable?
https://www.velogear.com.au/bike-parts/ ... older.html

Can you put any replacement pad on these holders? from any brand? or strictly these dual compound Kool Stops?

Anyone used these before, would they be excessive for my cheapy little flat bar :P

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:32 pm

fergy1987 wrote:Thanks for the responses everyone.

Would these be suitable?

Can you put any replacement pad on these holders? from any brand? or strictly these dual compound Kool Stops?

Anyone used these before, would they be excessive for my cheapy little flat bar :P
Yes.

Yes any 72mm pad will fit.

Good brakes are never excessive. For any bike.

Cheers,

Cameron

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:44 pm

fergy1987 wrote:Thanks for the responses everyone.

Would these be suitable?

Yep, stop typing and start buying. Velogear have 17.5% off today and still free postage. Makes them a good deal.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:10 pm

Ok bought! :D had a $10 voucher so saved 50 cents more than the 17.5% would have offered. Oh yeahhh!!! Big savings

Thanks again everyone.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:33 pm

fergy1987 wrote:Can you put any replacement pad on these holders? from any brand? or strictly these dual compound Kool Stops?
good question, I never considered getting another type, I don't know if its a standard or not.

also regarding more "bite" in braking, clean the braking surface on your rims.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:14 am

eeksll wrote:
fergy1987 wrote:Can you put any replacement pad on these holders? from any brand? or strictly these dual compound Kool Stops?
good question, I never considered getting another type, I don't know if its a standard or not.

also regarding more "bite" in braking, clean the braking surface on your rims.
Yeah, you can, I tend to buy cheapo pad holders and use the fitted pads while it's dry, unless they're rim rippers.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:33 pm

So I replaced the brakes today and the old brakes seem to have a whole heap of washers etc but the kool stops have 3. Do these have to go in any order or are they simply just spacers and you put it in whatever order to get it close enough to the rim?.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:50 pm

You'll notice that the washers aren't flat, they have concave and convex surfaces. Depending on the set up, there may also be a convex surface on either the nut or the pad. They are designed to meet together so the pad can be angled to set toe in.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:53 pm

fergy1987 wrote:So I replaced the brakes today and the old brakes seem to have a whole heap of washers etc but the kool stops have 3. Do these have to go in any order or are they simply just spacers and you put it in whatever order to get it close enough to the rim?.
Normally, two of the washers have non-flat faces - one convex, one concave. These go together between the pad and the caliper arm to provide some adjustment of angle-of-dangle. The flat washer goes t'other side, to assist the nut in holding it all together.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:06 pm

So the first washer closest to the pad isn't completely flat. One side is concave which is closest to the pad. The second washer is almost as thick but is completely flat both side. The final washer is thinner again and completely flat. They appear to be different from the usual v brake pads.

I set up the fronts with the concave washer and thin washer on one side and the medium size washer on the outside of the arm

The rear I had the concave washer and the medium size washer with the thin washer on the outside of the arm.

I just want to make sure I haven't completely ballsed it up and I'll end up with no brakes.

I was just under the impression it was about getting it close to the rim without touching so the washers were just spacers.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:03 pm

Thoglette wrote:
fergy1987 wrote:So I replaced the brakes today and the old brakes seem to have a whole heap of washers etc but the kool stops have 3. Do these have to go in any order or are they simply just spacers and you put it in whatever order to get it close enough to the rim?.
Normally, two of the washers have non-flat faces - one convex, one concave. These go together between the pad and the caliper arm to provide some adjustment of angle-of-dangle. The flat washer goes t'other side, to assist the nut in holding it all together.
Actually there are five washers per brake pad; two each concave and convex (one concave is thicker than the other, so you can tune pad clearance and brake arm angle) and one flat. You have opposing pairs of convave & convex washers on each side of the brake arm, then the flat, then the nut. It's necessary to have the two pairs of dish-&-dome washers to facilitate toe adjustment; with only one set the clamping force of the nut would pull the brake pad back square with the brake arm, defeating the purpose of the washers.
fergy1987 wrote:So the first washer closest to the pad isn't completely flat. One side is concave which is closest to the pad. The second washer is almost as thick but is completely flat both side. The final washer is thinner again and completely flat. They appear to be different from the usual v brake pads.

I set up the fronts with the concave washer and thin washer on one side and the medium size washer on the outside of the arm

The rear I had the concave washer and the medium size washer with the thin washer on the outside of the arm.

I just want to make sure I haven't completely ballsed it up and I'll end up with no brakes.

I was just under the impression it was about getting it close to the rim without touching so the washers were just spacers.
In this instance the brake pad backing is convex, with a floating nut for toe adjustment. Place the concave washer against the brake pad, flat side out. The flat washer is likely a spacer to allow for different thickness brake arms, in order to prevent the tip of the bolt pushing through & deforming the pad (your description suggests a bolt rather than a nut), the thin washer goes under the bolt head on the outside of the brake arm.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:45 pm

Cheers for the help duck!

My next issue is the front brakes squealing. I have cleaned the rims and put the brakes on with what I thought was toed in by putting a bit of card behind the back of the pad (side closest to rear of bike) and tightened up but they still keep squealing.

Any other tips. Should I just get the shop to do it properly lol.

My mechanic skills suuuccckkk

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:45 pm

You could try giving the pads a bit of a scuff with a file, but some compounds, particularly softer ones, can have a tendency to squeal regardless of what you do.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:56 pm

Do you have carbon forks? I've been told carbon forks can contribute to squealing, something to do with not being so rigid I think. Mind you, I have carbon forks on one of my bikes and no squealing brakes.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)