Bike trade in

Mas

Bike trade in

Postby Mas » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:32 pm

Hi all, I have a Trek Domane 4.3 2013 52 (almost as new) and I feel it is one size small for me. I know I can sell it very cheap in gumtree but does anyone know of any place or shop that I can trade my bike in with a used or new one?
Thanks,
Masoud

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bike trade in

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:46 pm

I havn't heard of people trading in their bike for quite some time but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Gumtree is free unless you upgrade your advert and pay for all the extra promotion. Probably the best approach will be selling that bike and then buying a new one. That said - are you certain that you are not able to adjust the bike as they do have some adjustability - for example opting for a longer stem and setting the saddle further back and seat post higher. Just an idea.
Cycling is in my BNA

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:20 pm

Some shops are indeed licensed to sell second-hand goods. However, shops can't afford to sell bikes that have any mechanical gremlins - even if the bike is second hand, because the mechanical quality of the bike will be an advertisement for the mechanical expertise of the shop.

So...if a shop is prepared to accept a trade-in they will need to factor in their labour to fix it up properly in addition to selling it for more than they paid for it. All in all they will only offer at most a couple of hundred dollars less than what they think they can sell it for. If similar bikes are going for $200 on gumtree, any trade-in offered would be the same as any discount they would otherwise offer to secure your business.

In pure economics it is better to sell it yourself and ask for a discount on the bike, otherwise just look at it as a means of saving you the time and trouble of selling.

Cheers,

Cameron

jgon286

Postby jgon286 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:27 pm

I haven't used it nor know of anyone who has but saw that bikebug had a trade-in system. You either email them photos or go to their North Sydney store with your bike and they will value it towards a purchase in their shop.
Ridley Fenix
'Dale CAADX
Spec Hardrock29er

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:31 am

Ivanhoe Cycles do it, at least they did a few years when I thought about doing it and I went into Bicycle Superstore at Nunawading and asked and they said they do it. As a heads up you will get offered next to nothing, all they do is give the bike a quick check up and put it on bike exchange or something similar, so unless you just dont want the hassle of selling it yourself be prepared for an blunt appraisal as they need to be able to sell it and they would like to make something on it for thier troubles.

koshari

Postby koshari » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:18 am

find someone with a bike to big and swap.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:17 pm

Believe the Bikebug North Sydney trade-in is just a "sale on ebay" type deal. You basically get them to sell on ebay, and they give you that amount as credit. Seemed better to sell the bike yourself and then haggle properly.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc