Replacing hydraulic brake levers fit with existing switch levers?

Easy700

Replacing hydraulic brake levers fit with existing switch levers?

Postby Easy700 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:22 am

Hi All,

I'm suddenly been launched into the world of commuting to work on my bike after moving from Melbourne to Sydney and I've come to realise my old Hayes Sole hydraulic brakes are dodgy and I need to replace them lest I sail straight into oncoming traffic.

I have looked online and I see that there are a vast array of hydraulic brakes sets available for $90 - $150 that would suit my needs. I have checked my existing mounts which are 51mm and the current disc size is 160mm.

My only concern in ordering parts off eBay (for instance) is that the brake levers will interfere with the existing gear switch levers? Is this something I should be concerned about or will most brake levers integrate fine with the switch levers.

I am currently riding a 2006 (I think) Kona Dr Dew with Shimano Deore 9 x 3 gears and Hayes Sole hydraulic brakes. The switch levers have the model SL-F440 and SL-R440 stamped on them and they are Shimano. I will most likely look at using Shimano hydraulic brakes and will aim to buy the pre-bled.

Thanks for any assistance.

Evan

rangersac

Re: Replacing hydraulic brake levers fit with existing switch levers?

Postby rangersac » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:29 am

Provided you don't buy ispec mounted levers for Shimano you'll be fine. In fact any brand lever will work as long as they have bar mounted clamps.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Duck!
Expert

Re: Replacing hydraulic brake levers fit with existing switch levers?

Postby Duck! » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:58 pm

rangersac wrote:Provided you don't buy ispec mounted levers for Shimano you'll be fine.
Er, no. I-Spec-compatible brake levers still mount to the bar in the normal manner, it's the shifters in an I-Spec setup that fit to the brake levers. All brake levers will fit fine in place of the existing Hayes.

What you will need to be aware of is the caliper mounting. Hayes Sole are IS mount, pretty well everything available now is post-mount, so you will need appropriate adaptors to fit the calipers to the IS tabs on your frame & fork.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.