Recommend me some biking sunnies ......

MichaelB

Recommend me some biking sunnies ......

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:46 am

Hot on the heels from this tip off
battler2 wrote:Oakley EVZero Range Prizm Trail Sunglasses 80.50GBP at wiggle
sign up to newsletter, wait 24hrs, get discount code, add these to cart, add discount code. profit.
never seen oakley's less than this. i paid nearly 200 for road prizm evzero (and still are).
now i have two.
I had a peek.

Now I must admit, I'm easily confused by the various options with sunnies and what they provide. My current sunnies (Bolle Polarised Speed something) are now damaged enough that with summer coming on, it's time to stump up and buy something to replace them.

What I am after is ;
[*]Polarised
[*]anti-fog coating (inner side)
[*]good ventilation - I seem to produce heat & sweat like a steamer oven
[*]rubber nose pad
[*]reasonable price

I'm not a fashion junkie nor into brand names just for the sake of it.

Now those linked by battler2 above fit the price range I'm after, but have no idea if they are polarised or not ([rant] I hate useless product descriptions [/rant]). The Aus Oakley online store has the Polarised version for A$279 , so the presumption is that the Wiggle ones are not polarised

Current exchange rates have them at A$133, which is a seemingly good deal, so is being 'polarised lenses' worth double the price ?

edit : Realised the 'Path' is the smaller lens size, and the 'Range' is the larger lens size. The Path version of the EVZero are A$199 :roll:

Then there are the Oakley M2 Iridium for A$105. Onl;y picked Oakley to show as that's the link it started with

rangersac

Re: Recommend me some biking sunnies ......

Postby rangersac » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:17 am

Tifosi. Good polarized range here
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:53 am

rangersac wrote:Tifosi. Good polarized range here
Do you have a pair ? If so, which ones ?

Any comments vs Polarised vs non-polarised ?

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:54 am

Photochromatic is nice to have too, if you'll be riding in the dark at all.

battler2

Postby battler2 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:16 pm

thx for taking my tip. i can tell you the tip was a good one because i used cheap sunnies for years before i finally upgraded to something expensive and the difference is well worth it as long as you don't scratch them (then you'll be kicking yourself). this is really a 'treat yourself thing',

not sure if the prizm trail sunnies are polarised, they are probably not, as polarisation would be pointless for mtb'ing. i have the road version, that are always $199 at bikebug (i used TRS on them last time i went out of the country so -$20)

i like the evzero lenses because a) they are easier to clean and b) the frame doesn't get in the way when looking up in aero position. c) they are also super light and d) who the hell changes lenses mid ride anyway (aint nobody got time fo dat!) e) the oakleys handle rain better than cheapies (beads off quicker) and f) they don't fog up! cheapo's usually fog at the lights in cold weather from your body heat. it goes away quickly but makes you blind for a few metres until you get moving again.

i looked at tifosi but didn't seem like many were much more than higher priced cheapies. they have high end models but equally priced (or more). oakleys are well renowned in every discipline but i prefer glass lenses for everyday wear (optical quality is always better than polycarbonate lenses but impractical for cycling). i buy mine from amazon. wayyyy cheaper.

the road version is here
http://www.this link is broken/oakley-evzero-p ... unglasses/
and to be honest I'm not sure they are polarised either.
polarisation is good but darker, so as low light hits you see less. also not as good in picking out bits of glass on the road as the reflection is mitigated
- but damn, 107.32 plus newsletter discount is really cheap even for those!

photochromic makes some difference but not a huge amount. prefer them on my everyday wearing sunnies but cycling doesn't matter much. when it gets dark it gets dark, a little light change isn't going to matter. just take them off or change with yellow night vision sunnies (which don't get any better when its pitch black)

then there's also the 'marketing bs' which i'm sure oakley is guilty of, but they do spend more on research so the difference might be negligible but you'll never know unless you try them for an extended period of time OUTDOORS. trying on sunglasses in a store is completely pointless for anything other than fit and look and a sales douche telling them how much they 'suit you' to justify their 50% markup

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:35 pm

battler2 wrote: ....
the road version is here
http://www.this link is broken/oakley-evzero-p ... unglasses/
and to be honest I'm not sure they are polarised either.
polarisation is good but darker, so as low light hits you see less. also not as good in picking out bits of glass on the road as the reflection is mitigated
- but damn, 107.32 plus newsletter discount is really cheap even for those!
Thanks for the feedback, but the link provided shows a price of A$178, not the $107 you mentioned ???? Or are you referring to the M2's ?

I already have a pair of Bolle photochromic, and they are good for the low light conditions, so covered there.

I'm really after the full daytime riding ones.

Leaning towards the Oakley M2's though. A full A$70 cheaper than Chain Reaction

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:45 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Do you have a pair ? If so, which ones ?

Any comments vs Polarised vs non-polarised ?
I've used several of their models, the current one I have is the wasp. I find they don't fog easily, and are very well ventilated, and for a reasonable mid range price fit well and last a decent amount of time. In terms of polarzied vs non-polarized, I find I only use polarized glasses on full summer blazing days. Otherwise it's photochromatics for me as they are much better in dappled sunlight. I go for the light night range (75%-25% transmission), as I can do everything from night time MTB rides to normal day rides in them.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

battler2

Postby battler2 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:51 pm

MichaelB wrote: Thanks for the feedback, but the link provided shows a price of A$178, not the $107 you mentioned ???? Or are you referring to the M2's ?
GBP

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:00 pm

+ 1 nice fit ,price range is Okay .Reasonably robust I purchased my pair 12 months no issues.
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:03 pm

(AT) rangersac - interestingly, the Tifosi prices at Wiggle are cheaper than the link you provided (aside from the shipping), but I can overcome that.

I think it will be either the Oakley M2 XL (AT) $105, ot the Tifosi Dolomite (AT) $85 ot Tifosi Tyrant (AT) $79.

What a dilemma .....

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:58 pm

Love my Salice 006 Sunnies as an alternative to Oakley's. I have 3 pairs, The RWP which are the Polarflex being the best of them (I also have a RW without the polarize and a CRX which are Photochromic). Got mine for about $100 off ebay new but I think the RW are about $115 (at places like Pushys and Cell) and the Polarflex about $130-140 from Vision Direct.

http://www.salice.co.uk/product/006

I'd pick something like this...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SALICE-SALIC ... SwaB5Xp9Gt
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:39 pm

I'm over 50 and for a few years now have needed 1.5diopter reading glasses.
I carry them around in my pocket when riding with protective glasses.
However, I realized on the w/e its time to integrate.

A mate told me about this guy's sports glasses.

http://www.neweyeco.com/?doing_wp_cron= ... 0791015625

Great. He's a local at Redcliffe.
I went up to the shop earlier this week, and he was in, and was very helpful....so I bought two pairs for $60 out of good will for his good service.

What I tried on in the shop was not the same quality reader as he put in the packet. When I went back he was ruffled, said they were all the same, and essentially dismissed me as if I wasn't there.

Long story short. The product he sold me is rubbish. If you need reading capability in your sunnies, go to an optometrist and get an off the shelf pair fitted with corrective reading lenses in the lower half. Good vision is too important.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:54 am

Thanks for the advice guys, ended up going for the M2 XL Oakleys from Wiggle.

When they arrive, hopefulkly the Radelaide weather is suitable for them !!!

thatmdee

Postby thatmdee » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:33 pm

I'm currently looking for some sunnies and having great difficulty deciding.

I'm primarily after something for cycling, plus maybe a little running and other outdoor activities on the side. I would like photochromic lenses with a nice wide range allowing me to cycle in the daytime without squinting and at night for protection against bugs, wind etc.

I originally looked at Tifosi with light night lenses, however looking at the light transmittance range and some reviews on Amazon, I'm a bit worried they won't go dark enough in the day.. They are however reasonably priced.

I then jumped up and looked at Oakleys.. But they all seem too large.

I've finally started looking at Rudy Project Tralyx. These seem to have a good range, and are a bit more minimal /euro style.

I would just get the Tifosi if I knew they would be sufficient in the day time.. Do I really need to jump up to $200+ for what I'm after?

The main thing is I can ride safely at night with clear lenses, with sufficient tinting in the day time to stop squinting and eye strain.. If possible, I don't want to change lenses over.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:58 am

key thing with most photochromics that i saw is they don't go dark enough to match the sunnies you would use in bright daylight.

Have two pairs - one photochromic (night/early rides) and full on sunnies (day)

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:37 am

MichaelB wrote:key thing with most photochromics that i saw is they don't go dark enough to match the sunnies you would use in bright daylight.

Have two pairs - one photochromic (night/early rides) and full on sunnies (day)
+1. for me photochromics for Melb winter and a normal pair of polarized for summer. And I usually change them around daylight savings time change.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

thatmdee

Postby thatmdee » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:05 pm

I just bought a cheap pair of Fluid Covert glasses with photochromic lenses for $40 at Anaconda.

They seem to take the edge off the sun, but will see what they're like at night. I'm not expecting much for the price though.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:30 pm

thatmdee wrote:I just bought a cheap pair of Fluid Covert glasses with photochromic lenses for $40 at Anaconda.

They seem to take the edge off the sun, but will see what they're like at night. I'm not expecting much for the price though.
The Fluid range of sunnies is 50% off right now. The model I tried sat a bit too low on my big nose personally. I prefer a frame with no top rim which is hard to find, except for the above linked Oakleys, or some Bunnings safety glasses that are only mildly tinted
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:03 pm

I have had 2 pairs of fluid photochromatic sunglasses. Both barely change the tint at all.

First pair was nice solid grip, comfortable, sat a bit off the face and didn't fog up. Happy with them so got another pair, but the plastic above the lens bent when I was opening them to put it on my face.

Pretty much treat them as clear glasses.

As someone who often goes out in my glasses (not tinted) I have never noticed any eye strain or need to squint.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:24 pm

eeksll wrote:I have had 2 pairs of fluid photochromatic sunglasses. Both barely change the tint at all.
I have Shimano and they work quite well. Obviously they also cost more than the cheap Anaconda ones.

thatmdee

Postby thatmdee » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:17 pm

eeksll wrote:I have had 2 pairs of fluid photochromatic sunglasses. Both barely change the tint at all.

First pair was nice solid grip, comfortable, sat a bit off the face and didn't fog up. Happy with them so got another pair, but the plastic above the lens bent when I was opening them to put it on my face.

Pretty much treat them as clear glasses.

As someone who often goes out in my glasses (not tinted) I have never noticed any eye strain or need to squint.
Agree with this. They're almost clear in daytime and I can't even notice any change at night. I think I'll be returning them.. Not worth the sale price of $40 let alone the original price of $80.

IamGroot

Postby IamGroot » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:05 am

I like the safety sunnys you get from any decent safety shop.

thatmdee

Postby thatmdee » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:01 pm

30% Black Friday sale on erudy.com.au.. Code still works!

I'm thinking of picking up some custom Rudy Project Tralyx glasses with photochromic lenses, coming to $209.

My only concern is field of view may be obstructed by the frame at the top when riding in the drops..

EDIT: I ended up ordering a custom pair (all white parts) of Rudy Project Tralyx sunglasses with the 9 - 74% photochromic black lenses for $209.30 delivered. I thought for that price with photochromic lenses and being able to customise -- it was a good buy. We'll see!