TRS (tourist refund scheme) for a bike at Brisbane Airport

camero_yo

TRS (tourist refund scheme) for a bike at Brisbane Airport

Postby camero_yo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:04 pm

Hey,
So I just bought a new Canyon Spectral al 5.0. I have previously used TRS in the past for items such as laptops and cameras.
I was wondering if anyone has had any success with claiming bikes back in particularly the Canyons as they started shipping to Aus not to long ago.

If so how do you go about claiming it back?

Cheers!

Top_Bhoy

Re: TRS (tourist refund scheme) for a bike at Brisbane Airport

Postby Top_Bhoy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:28 pm

success with claiming bikes back in
Its not clear, perhaps you can clarify; did you purchase the bike overseas and bring it back with you into Brisbane airport?

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:35 pm

Unless you can fit it in your hand luggage it ain't gonna happen... The TRS desk is after immigration.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:42 pm

first i heard of this ..... but the website does make provisions for oversized luggage (and even gives the example of snow skis, golf clubs etc ... although not bicycles) . Nothing in the "what cannot be claimed section that remotely categorizes a bicycle (although there are issues if you bring it back in to the country and exceed your duty free limit). I say go for it (and then tell us if it works) 8)

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/Tou ... -traveller
Go!Run!GAH!

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:10 am

I can't see the point. Unless you are prepared to risk a false declaration on the way back, you will have to return the refund.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:21 am

Hah, that'll be why they were bringing out a new TRS brochure (because I was looking for info in the last month)! Previously you had to take stuff on the plane in your hand luggage because you had to show it at the TRS desk, there was none of this taking it to an ABF office malarkey. Cool, makes the scheme more useful...
Anyway, what's the advantage? Apparently they can depreciate things when you bring them back in because they are used and that depreciation is quite generous. Like 20-30% after a months use. So if you were going to use something overseas anyway, and it was expensive enough, it'd be worth it. ie $6000 worth of camera gear, you'd only pay GST on $4000 coming back in. $180 is worth it...

march83

Postby march83 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:08 am

Trevtassie wrote:Previously you had to take stuff on the plane in your hand luggage because you had to show it at the TRS desk, there was none of this taking it to an ABF office malarkey.

This is definitely not a recent change to policy and has been available in Sydney for a long time. I did this with a snowboard in 2007. At Sydney airport there is a TRS office prior to check in (downstairs near arrivals) where you can go and get your claimed items and receipts sited and your refund processed, then you go back upstairs to departures and check your luggage as per usual.

Trevtassie wrote:Anyway, what's the advantage? Apparently they can depreciate things when you bring them back in because they are used and that depreciation is quite generous. Like 20-30% after a months use. So if you were going to use something overseas anyway, and it was expensive enough, it'd be worth it. ie $6000 worth of camera gear, you'd only pay GST on $4000 coming back in. $180 is worth it...
and if it's not an expensive item you don't bother declaring it because it's within personal allowance OR if you're brave you don't declare an expensive item and don't pay anything at all. I'm sure a lot of people very quietly do the latter.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:34 am

Trevtassie wrote:Anyway, what's the advantage? Apparently they can depreciate things when you bring them back in because they are used and that depreciation is quite generous. Like 20-30% after a months use. So if you were going to use something overseas anyway, and it was expensive enough, it'd be worth it. ie $6000 worth of camera gear, you'd only pay GST on $4000 coming back in. $180 is worth it...
There is nothing new about this - I did it years ago with digital cameras I bought in Singapore.

But what would be the point? Instead of paying Australia Tax, I would buy the same camera in Singapore, Hong Kong, Dubai for $3000 and still claim depreciation on the way back.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:05 am

march83 wrote:...if you're brave you don't declare an expensive item and don't pay anything at all.
How brave is brave? Since it's on record that you claimed a GST refund on the way out.

march83

Postby march83 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:30 am

brave and foolhardy are interchangeable terms in this instance ;)

tbf, i don't know anyone who's actually been caught, but I can't say I've researched very broadly.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:42 am

march83 wrote: tbf, i don't know anyone who's actually been caught, but I can't say I've researched very broadly.
Customs have more important jobs to do than monitor every gst claim. A long time ago I did the correct thing by reporting it. Officer asks where the item is, I show him and he takes a quick glance and says it doesn't look that expensive. Got told to move along.

I've found that for general items they don't really care. In theory they can match gst claims, but rarely do in practice. The customs officers don't workfor the ATO so they care little for this in practice. In reality though certain things like gold and anything that they might suspect has linkages to organised crime or laundering and they will be onto it.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:58 am

If you return as part of a group( maybe limited to family) you can pool your trs allowance. I do it every year. There are forms at the trs counter you can fill in for over size items.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:17 am

march83 wrote:brave and foolhardy are interchangeable terms in this instance ;)

tbf, i don't know anyone who's actually been caught, but I can't say I've researched very broadly.
Well - odds are you would get away with it. If you are game to try.

But one certain way to draw attention is to look nervous as you make your (false) declaration. :wink:

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:33 am

Must have been getting screwed in Brisbane and Melbourne. The TRS in BNE is in the departure lounge, was the same in Melbourne.
Wonder how they know if you even take the item overseas if you can get it looked at before you check in?

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:49 am

Trevtassie wrote:Must have been getting screwed in Brisbane and Melbourne. The TRS in BNE is in the departure lounge, was the same in Melbourne.
Wonder how they know if you even take the item overseas if you can get it looked at before you check in?
The BNE TRS kiosk is in the airside departure lounge.