Thoughts on the Trek Madone 5.2

user2357

Thoughts on the Trek Madone 5.2

Postby user2357 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:35 pm

Hello, I ordered a brand new Ultegra 6800 bike from chain reactions but cancelled it because I think I can get better value from used bikes.

I'd like some opinions on a used 2015 Trek Madone 5.2 being sold here http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-detail ... 1126999310

I looked around and it seems like the price of this bike is $3500 new.

I contacted the seller and he said this: If he keeps the original Bontrager Race wheelset (done less than 100kms, cost $300 new) then he is happy to sell for $1800. If he replaces them with Bontrager Paradigm Elite then he will sell for $2100 and if he puts on the Giant SLR then he will sell for $2400. There is also the option for Giant SLR Aero but it is too expensive so I wouldn't go there.

I read that there are basically only two complaints about this bike: 1 being the design of the BB and 2 being the stock wheelset (Bontrager racing). Are they actually that bad? Is it worth paying $300 more for Bontrager Paradigm Elite (which cost $350 new).

Over all, what do you think? Also this shop is like 15 minutes from my house so I can easily go inspect it/pick it up.

I also managed to drive the price for this bike http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/351880454989 down to $1500 + shipping. Is it worth it at this price?

I also can get http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-detail ... 1127285303 for $1400, is that good? Apparently it has a good frame.

I asked a somewhat similar question before, but now I'm learning more and I kinda know what I want to get better.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Thoughts on the Trek Madone 5.2

Postby Duck! » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:52 pm

The bottom bracket - Trek's proprietary BB90 format - is a pig (I'd use a stronger word but the forum censor won't let me) of a thing, because the frame tolerance to accommodate the direct-fit bearings is dreadful, and there's no fixing it.

"House brand" OEM wheels are typically a bit heavy, but there's usually nothing fundamentally wrong with them.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

user2357

Postby user2357 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:10 pm

Duck! wrote:The bottom bracket - Trek's proprietary BB90 format - is a pig (I'd use a stronger word but the forum censor won't let me) of a thing, because the frame tolerance to accommodate the direct-fit bearings is dreadful, and there's no fixing it.

"House brand" OEM wheels are typically a bit heavy, but there's usually nothing fundamentally wrong with them.
Hmm that's disappointing. Why would they do something like that? So is it a nono?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:19 pm

I would avoid it unless you enjoy loose cranks and load creaking.

slowK

Postby slowK » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:32 pm

If you go the Madone, you should factor in replacing the terrible Bontrager direct mount brakes that come stock (it's hard to make out what this bike has - I don't recognise the white brakes in th epics). Ultegra direct mounts are much, much better.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Personally, I think that Madone is overpriced - plenty of better options out on Ebay, Facebook buy/sell groups - even on runout stock from bike shops. It's a mid-tier bike and as others have suggested, there are issues with a few aspects of that model.....

The Specialized is a decent rig at a good price and that particular seller is a VERY discerning bike enthusiast who stocks good pre-owned products. No affiliation to him, but have bought from him previously.

The CAAD10 (which is a cracking rig) is a sz56 frame - are you sure which bike size you need - best to get the PROPER size....

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

user2357

Postby user2357 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:00 pm

Damn, I won't get it then. Don't feel like spending $2000 and still have to replace things. Might as well go for a brand new Vitus.

My biggest problem with the specialized it is that it is 10 speed.

How about http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-detail ... 1121234785 for $2000? Seems like a decent bike.

Sorry for being annoying but you guys know so much and without telling me about the BB90 on the Madone I would've bought it.
Last edited by user2357 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

user2357

Postby user2357 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:06 pm

macca33 wrote:Personally, I think that Madone is overpriced - plenty of better options out on Ebay, Facebook buy/sell groups - even on runout stock from bike shops. It's a mid-tier bike and as others have suggested, there are issues with a few aspects of that model.....

The Specialized is a decent rig at a good price and that particular seller is a VERY discerning bike enthusiast who stocks good pre-owned products. No affiliation to him, but have bought from him previously.

The CAAD10 (which is a cracking rig) is a sz56 frame - are you sure which bike size you need - best to get the PROPER size....

cheers
Proper size for me is like 55 since I'm in between 54 and 56.
So what do you think of the CAAD? What's good/bad about it at $1400? It is using 105 so is $1400 too much?

user2357

Postby user2357 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:08 pm

DECISION TIME: Any thoughts on this supersix evo: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/summer-h ... 1126514049 for $1850?

I talked to the owner and he said he replaced the rear wheel with a dura ace c24 and it no longer rubs against the frame. The old wheel got untrue and the tyre starting rubbing against the frame near the BB.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:17 pm

Not keen on the Madone as above, The Tarmac is sight unseen and you really would need to test ride a 54 tarmac before buying for that size. And the CAAD10 is slightly overs in price and slightly showing its age that model now the CAAD12 is around (which I've heard is the greatest alloy bike ever).

Any reason you are going so race oriented? I thought something like the below might be more suited?? Its got $1500 written all over it (and you get extra's!).

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kincumbe ... 1127015969

The Supersix is very aggressive again and I'd avoid SRAM 10 speed. So that's another no from me...

Take your time... Don't rush the purchase or you may regret it.

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/gear/c ... d-2-50287/

Edit: Oh and btw if you are looking at Defys and TCRs Id be going a size ML in a defy (56.0 TT ) or a M in a Tcr (55.5 TT). The ML TCRs are actually a bit bigger like a 57 TT .
Last edited by rodneycc on Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:36 pm

user2357 wrote:
macca33 wrote:Personally, I think that Madone is overpriced - plenty of better options out on Ebay, Facebook buy/sell groups - even on runout stock from bike shops. It's a mid-tier bike and as others have suggested, there are issues with a few aspects of that model.....

cheers
Proper size for me is like 55 since I'm in between 54 and 56.
So what do you think of the CAAD? What's good/bad about it at $1400? It is using 105 so is $1400 too much?

Only dismissed the CAAD10 as it was sz56 - other than that, they are fantastic rigs - I own one! In saying that, $1400 is also a bit overpriced.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

cyclebee

Postby cyclebee » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:59 pm

Bear in mind that, with new, you get the benefit of warranty (lifetime on a Trek frame), while second hand, warranty is not transferable. U should beat the price down further if u can. Try half RRP.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:45 am

user2357 wrote:.My biggest problem with the specialized it is that it is 10 speed.
Why is this a problem? :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:57 am

rodneycc wrote:Not keen on the Madone as above, The Tarmac is sight unseen and you really would need to test ride a 54 tarmac before buying for that size. And the CAAD10 is slightly overs in price and slightly showing its age that model now the CAAD12 is around (which I've heard is the greatest alloy bike ever).

Any reason you are going so race oriented? I thought something like the below might be more suited?? Its got $1500 written all over it (and you get extra's!).

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kincumbe ... 1127015969

The Supersix is very aggressive again and I'd avoid SRAM 10 speed. So that's another no from me...

Take your time... Don't rush the purchase or you may regret it.

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/gear/c ... d-2-50287/

Edit: Oh and btw if you are looking at Defys and TCRs Id be going a size ML in a defy (56.0 TT ) or a M in a Tcr (55.5 TT). The ML TCRs are actually a bit bigger like a 57 TT .
I have a Giant Defy with SRAM 10 speed and haven't really had issues. May I ask why you would avoid? Just curious...

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:50 am

Yeah just a personal preference I suppose and I may not be the greatest source of advice when it comes to with Sram 10 speed (as my experience is pretty much limited to a 5-10min test ride around the carpark with sram force about 3 or 4 years ago!).

Its more the articles I've read and forum topics I've read. Oh and Duck! always banging on about how many unreliability issues SRAM in general has with the older stuff. That's as good as advice you get and good enough for me! :-)

Btw I have Sram Red 22 aerolink brakes on my Lynskey and not a great fan of them either with the odd way they align! Give me Ultegra or DA brakes any day.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:44 pm

Duck! wrote:The bottom bracket - Trek's proprietary BB90 format - is a pig (I'd use a stronger word but the forum censor won't let me) of a thing, because the frame tolerance to accommodate the direct-fit bearings is dreadful, and there's no fixing it.

I picked up a 2012 Madone 5.2 in amazing nick at a great price :)
So far, am very happy. Did 30kms on it on sunday - before i got the chance to fine tune the geom - so am super keen to get it out next weekend. (It is a WSD, so the geom did need a decent tweak, but not really a problem as i have shortish arms). Also took the Race wheels off for my old fullcrum racing 1, which brought the weight down a few hundred grams to under 8kg - which is kindof the benchmark for my wallet and legs.

I'd read about the BB issues and I gave the bike a half-decent power test before purchase but everything on it seems awesome.... From various reports it's obvious that some bikes at least have real BB problems. But after watching a few Hambini technical videos, i kindof reckon problems may be bike-specific, and if you have a in-spec BB, it shouldn't be so much of a hassle. Anyway, i'm pretty sure i'll stress it out more than the previous owner, laugh. So I'll see how it goes. Seeing what Hambini does with BB's is inspiring that any problems can be fixed - at a price of course.

Also, it's the first time i've had a 6700 specced bike. .. First impreshes are, I like it. Plenty. :) Nice feel on the hoods in my small hands, and i like the affirmative gear shift as compared to 6600/7800/6800. Cross chaining the compact/28t is a bit dodgy but i'll see if i can sort that out. I might buy some shifters blocks/spacers so i have a better brake hold from the drops - not sure if the 5mm or 10mm are the way to go.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:02 pm

It's possible that Trek might have made a few sets of tooling for the bottom bracket assemblies, with varying degrees of tolerance, which could explain why some frames have worse-fitting BBs than others. Doesn't change the fact that it's still a schitt design with a higher than average chance of it causing you grief eventually.

On the 6700 front, when you change gear cables, be sure to use good quality teflon/PTFE-coated cables. The routing through the shifter guts and along the bars isn't the most free-running design, and with uncoated cables makes the shifting very heavy, laggy and difficult to tune. The earlier 6600 and later 6800 shifter generations both have a significantly better shift action.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:46 pm

It's certainly dodgy design to compromise BB strength/longevity for weight saving ... which i think is/was Trek's idea with BB90. But they're still using it with new $10K bikes, so it's obviously not a faulty design if manufactured correctly.

This bike has Jagwire L3 out-ies.. dunno if they are the originals though.