Which torque wrench do you have

Duck!
Expert

Re: Which torque wrench do you have

Postby Duck! » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:28 am

Ant_S wrote: Mind you I mostly work on steel/alloy frames & bikes so it isn't critical like carbon.
Frame material is largely irrelevant except for the seapost clamp. You can easily damage aluminium components by overtorquing.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:58 am

Mind you I mostly work on steel/alloy frames & bikes so it isn't critical like carbon.
This. I only purchased a small Ritchey torque wrench 8 years ago when my son bought a carbon framed bike to race on. I don't know how accurate it is over time but it gives some kind of a guide. In the many years of previously working on bikes I'd never used nor needed a torque wrench on steel or aluminium components. Regular checking of screws and bolts prevented any undoing. As Duck posted you can damage aluminium by over tightening but it's a bike not a piece of heavy machinery so you learn to be careful.

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:34 am

Duck! - as I was writing that I knew someone may well call me out on the alu part as I understand it can be touchy. However I still feel somehow less nervous with aluminium bars, stems, steerers, seat posts than I would with carbon..

The ally framed bike I had was pretty thick as ally goes so wasn't too bad, however with seat post clamp I am always careful as I know a lot of alu frames crack around there from over torqueing (see quite a few online). Luckily mine was 7Nm max at that point and doing mine to 5Nm on the key was always fine with no slippage at my weight.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:56 pm

I bought a Lifeline ine from wiggle... great for the price

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:08 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:I bought a Lifeline ine from wiggle... great for the price
Have this one too and for the price you cant complain. Not sure of the accuracy but never busted anything nor had components slip.

I know these have been around for quite some time, anyone have experience with its longevity?