Bike saddle/fit in Sydney?

stephaniebeavs

Bike saddle/fit in Sydney?

Postby stephaniebeavs » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:27 pm

I recently bought a new bike/got into cycling (two months ago perhaps?) and since I bought the bike I've been having discomfort with my seat. At first It hought it was probably just because I hadn't rode a bike in ages and was regular soreness getting used to being in a saddle... but as it hasn't gone away yet - I think I can safely rule that out!

I've found that I'm a bit overwhelmed with the best way to buy a saddle however since everyone is a bit different with their sit bones etc! Does anyone know a place around Sydney that can do some sort of saddle fitting?

I've seen online people mentioned a fit where you sit on it and it can measure your sit bones and pressure but not sure where I could go to get that done?

I'm also not looking to spend a fortune on a saddle which may be hard if I go to a place that measures you etc, but any advice would be appreciated. I should also mention I've tried measuring my sit bones at home with the thought of buying a few saddles to see how they feel but all the methods I've looked up haven't worked (sitting on card board etc to measure indentations) I'm assuming because I'm overweight and creating too much of a flat surface.

Thanks guys. :)

Zippy7

Re: Bike saddle/fit in Sydney?

Postby Zippy7 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:41 pm

Before shelling out for a new saddle...
Some questions to help understand what might be causing the issue
Is it uncomfortable from the start of the ride?
Does it get uncomfortable after (say) 10 or 20kms, or an hour of riding?
Or is it only uncomfortable after finishing the ride?
Do you wear padded shorts (with a decent chamois) ?
Do you use chamois cream?
Do you have a gel seat cover?

A bike fit could do wonders, but they take time and cost money :)
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:14 am

stephaniebeavs wrote:I recently bought a new bike/got into cycling (two months ago perhaps?) and since I bought the bike I've been having discomfort with my seat. At first It hought it was probably just because I hadn't rode a bike in ages and was regular soreness getting used to being in a saddle... but as it hasn't gone away yet - I think I can safely rule that out!

I've found that I'm a bit overwhelmed with the best way to buy a saddle however since everyone is a bit different with their sit bones etc! Does anyone know a place around Sydney that can do some sort of saddle fitting?

I've seen online people mentioned a fit where you sit on it and it can measure your sit bones and pressure but not sure where I could go to get that done?

I'm also not looking to spend a fortune on a saddle which may be hard if I go to a place that measures you etc, but any advice would be appreciated. I should also mention I've tried measuring my sit bones at home with the thought of buying a few saddles to see how they feel but all the methods I've looked up haven't worked (sitting on card board etc to measure indentations) I'm assuming because I'm overweight and creating too much of a flat surface.

Thanks guys. :)
Jetcycles are pretty good for that. Some people don't tend to like that shop very much, but I've always found them good.

The right saddle and the right bike fit and properly fitting, comfortable kit is the key.

stephaniebeavs

Postby stephaniebeavs » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:30 pm

Zippy7 wrote:Before shelling out for a new saddle...
Some questions to help understand what might be causing the issue
Is it uncomfortable from the start of the ride?
Does it get uncomfortable after (say) 10 or 20kms, or an hour of riding?
Or is it only uncomfortable after finishing the ride?
Do you wear padded shorts (with a decent chamois) ?
Do you use chamois cream?
Do you have a gel seat cover?

A bike fit could do wonders, but they take time and cost money :)
Hey :)

My saddle is definitely uncomfortable from the beginning of the ride. I've tried angling it down and up etc as well and haven't had any luck. I think it may be because I have the default saddle it came with and it's a cheaper reid bike so the saddle isn't great quality. It also seems to be pretty narrow (and a mens saddle though I know that doesn't always mean as much) while I'm a female.

I don't have a gel seat cover or anything and I haven't used padded shorts yet as I'm waiting for them to arrive but I'm not sure if this will help because it's not so much my sit bones that hurt but the soft tissue further up that is causing the problem and going numb.

stephaniebeavs

Postby stephaniebeavs » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:32 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Jetcycles are pretty good for that. Some people don't tend to like that shop very much, but I've always found them good.

The right saddle and the right bike fit and properly fitting, comfortable kit is the key.
Thanks, i've checked out their website and they sound pretty good. I'm emailing them to see if the standard bike fit would cover a saddle fitting as well or if I'd have to do the saddle analysis separately but either seems liek a good option!

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:43 pm

Specialized have a test saddle program. Find a store that sells Specialized in your area and they should be able to measure your sit bones and recommend a saddle, then provide a test saddle for a nominal fee.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:56 pm

ismseat. the end.
(bought one super cheap off busters_saddles on ebay, couldn't be happier.)
I don't have lady-parts but I imagine it would suit them very well (that was their core early market until triathletes got on board), as you basically sit yourself way forwards on it, and all the force goes straight onto your pelvic bones, not your soft tissue. Takes a little conditioning to this, but probably no different to any new saddle.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:31 pm

A couple of guys I know have used the Body Mechanic in Milsons Point for a bike fit. They've been very happy with the result.
Someone else was going to get a fit done at Turramurra cycles, but I don't know how that went.

Jet Cycles is a Specialized dealer, so you could get the same test saddles at a more convenient Specialized dealer. Some people don't seem to like that shop due to having had poor experiences there :)

In terms of saddles. A guy I know has an Adamo (now called ISM) - he is very happy with it. There is a shop in the Sydney CBD that does a rental/trial for a month? Then you get credit against a purchase if you proceed. I think Cell Bikes has something similar for Selle SMPs?
YMMV
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:39 pm

Zippy7 wrote:A couple of guys I know have used the Body Mechanic in Milsons Point for a bike fit. They've been very happy with the result.
Someone else was going to get a fit done at Turramurra cycles, but I don't know how that went.

Jet Cycles is a Specialized dealer, so you could get the same test saddles at a more convenient Specialized dealer. Some people don't seem to like that shop due to having had poor experiences there :)

In terms of saddles. A guy I know has an Adamo (now called ISM) - he is very happy with it. There is a shop in the Sydney CBD that does a rental/trial for a month? Then you get credit against a purchase if you proceed. I think Cell Bikes has something similar for Selle SMPs?
YMMV
I had an ISM Adamo... No way, never again.

As for bike fits - Pavetheway: http://pavetheway.cc/ - Look no further.

I had two bike fits done by him on radically different bikes, and one of them was a custom build of a bike. Both worked out well, especially the road bike fit.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Pretty sure I read elsewhere that Giant stores have some special saddle measuring jigger. According to Duck, so I figure it's kosher.

kaboose

Postby kaboose » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:07 pm

If your after a bike fit I've heard Steve Hogg is one of the best. Getting a saddle to work is a bit hit and miss I've found, what might work in a certain size (sit bones) in one brand can feel totally different to another

caveboy

Postby caveboy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:28 pm

Tried a few saddles in my time, found out that it takes a lot of minor adjustments to find the sweet spot

slowK

Postby slowK » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:26 pm

If it's mainly a saddle fit that you're after, rather than a full on bike fit (which can cost hundreds of dollars when done properly), then you could look at a Specialized dealer? They have an "ass-o-meter" gel seat thingy to measure your sit bone width, and usually have a range of test saddles (including women's specific ones) to try.

I haven't done this myself, but my LBS offers this.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:53 am

I have also heard good reports from The Body Mechanic and can personally recommend Fusion Peak (also on Sydney's North). Following a bike fit, Aaron from Fusion Peak will let you ride with the saddle to confirm that it suits well - and there is the option to swap over if it isn't good.

Regarding the in-shop service and bike fit - it is about personality and the bike fitters who get recommended by name are the best options. In store bike fitting services may not offer the same level of fit when it comes to everything beyond the maths. I have noticed more stores offering this - but the established and dedicated bike fitters are typically more comprehensive.

Regarding saddle fit - getting the saddle width is good, but other things are out of whack then you are not solving the problem and providing the right basis which would look at saddle height and position (for / aft). Cleats position and ensuring a good pedal stroke along with reach - all of these areas influencing your position on the bike.

The price for a bike fit may be an investment, but I have never spoken to anyone who has regretted this investment - it means that you then chose the right saddle rather than buying and testing different ones.

As homework, along the lines of the suggestion of Zippy7, understand as much as you can about the pain so that you can provide very specific information to get the right guidance and fit to resolve it for you.
Cycling is in my BNA