New bike advice

Justinjd79

New bike advice

Postby Justinjd79 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:04 am

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice on a new bike.

I commute from about 10km each way into Sydney CBD from the north side. Currently I have a 2016 Giant Fastroad Comax 1, does it's job, but just can't find the love for it. Not a fan of the gearing on it though and feels sluggish, but the flat bars a perfect for CBD vision and the hydraulic discs are beautiful.

I used to have a Cannonade Supersix hi Mod Di2 CX which everything was great except the riding position killed my lower back after about day 3.

I don't really do long rides anymore as I commute daily, but each year I'll do Syd2Gong and that type of thing which is when drops would be handy.

First world problem I know, but any tips? I was looking at things like the 2017 giant Anyroad Comax with the hood brakes, but I guess the mechanical brakes are a bit sh*te..

Cheers all,

Justin

RonK

Re: New bike advice

Postby RonK » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:43 am

Justinjd79 wrote:I was looking at things like the 2017 giant Anyroad Comax with the hood brakes, but I guess the mechanical brakes are a bit sh*te..
Well - if you choose to believe that you had better be prepared to stump up a lot more money for hydraulic.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:05 am

Sure you can't modify the bike you have as an option ? Better tyres, change the cassette for better gear ratio. Maybe even some better wheels.

I'd be looking at your tyres first and foremost and pay attention to tyre pressures. This can make a big difference.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Justinjd79

Postby Justinjd79 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:29 pm

Yeah I was thinking that, modifying what I got. But I have a lack of love for this bike overall, and a serious case of Upgradeitus.

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:11 pm

My tip is try some better tyres and play with pressure and swap in a different cassette dep. upon where you decide the gearing is holding you back ie) taller or shorter gearing than present. These adjustments are relatively

Any commuter bike is going to feel sluggish compared to a SuperSix Hi Mod now matter how well spec'd it is...............
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:11 am

Justinjd79 wrote:Yeah I was thinking that, modifying what I got. But I have a lack of love for this bike overall, and a serious case of Upgradeitus.
What's your budget? Will you sell the Fastroad to help fund the next purchase or keep it for casual rides?

We all know that there's no cure for upgradeitis once you've been infected. You can delay it but there's no cure but to submit :D

But if you find the Fastroad too slow, I'm not sure you'll get much joy from the Anyroad apart from the drop bars. They both run Shimano 105, the Anyroad has 11-32 for hills but the Fastroad already has 11-28 so not a huge difference. The Performance PR or PX wheels will be very similar I imagine. The Fastroad runs 25mm tyres stock but the Anyroad has fatter 32mm. Mechanical discs will work just fine.

If the Supersix Evo was great except for the aggressive racing riding position, get an endurance road bike. Faster everything than the Anyroad, but the same comfortable position. And you can still tuck down low for headwinds etc.

I've got a bad back too and super tight hamstrings, but I can get low on my endurance road bike and I absolutely love it. I doubt I'll ever get a real racey bike and imagine I'll stick with endurance bikes for my purposes.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Justinjd79

Postby Justinjd79 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:53 pm

Thanks everyone for the great information.

I will sell the Fastroad. I guess I would spend up to 4k on a new bike if I found one that blows my mind. Good point with the Anyroad too. Will look into the endurance. How are mechanical brakes in the wet? I love the hydraulic brakes, especially when things get a bit hairy in the rain.

Justinjd79

Postby Justinjd79 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:54 pm

Sorry one more thing, whats the difference between endurance road and just road? Will check them out tonight.

mmel

Postby mmel » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:21 pm

Justinjd79 wrote:Sorry one more thing, whats the difference between endurance road and just road? Will check them out tonight.
I don't think there's any hard and fast rules, but endurance bikes have a longer headtube with a more upright position, easier gearing and more likely to come with disc brakes, whereas road-race has a shorter headtube with more aggressive/aerodynamic position, higher gearing and as for now no disc brakes until UCI holds a ecumenical council and passes a new holy decree allowing them.

liamw11

Postby liamw11 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:25 pm

Have you had a look at a Giant Defy Advanced Pro? Some pretty good deals on 2015 & 2016 models, Ultegra with Hydraulic discs.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:22 pm

I have a also have a bad back and neck, and ride a fast road comax 2016.

Dropping the tyre pressures on the bike absolutely transformed the bike for me, much more comfortable to ride. Now running 65f and 100r, (weight of me and the bike 80kg).

Worth trying .... but sounds like you have been bitten by upgradeitis pretty bad :D

I know what you mean about the brakes. The performance of the brakes on mine is just sensational in terms of modulation, and it would be hard to take a step backwards from that point of view.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:43 pm

mmel wrote:
Justinjd79 wrote:Sorry one more thing, whats the difference between endurance road and just road? Will check them out tonight.
I don't think there's any hard and fast rules, but endurance bikes have a longer headtube with a more upright position, easier gearing and more likely to come with disc brakes, whereas road-race has a shorter headtube with more aggressive/aerodynamic position, higher gearing and as for now no disc brakes until UCI holds a ecumenical council and passes a new holy decree allowing them.
Additionally, Endurance bikes tend to be a little shorter in the top tube, a little longer in the rear stays, and sometimes have a slightly slacker head tube angle than race bikes.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

chrisbikeguy

Postby chrisbikeguy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:28 pm

Hi mate,

I bought a FELT F5. I was merely commuting 15km and experienced the same issues on a Giant Anyroad.

Could not be happier!!

Justinjd79

Postby Justinjd79 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:25 pm

Thanks for all the info everyone! Those Felt F5 look great. I think I'm going to go with an endurance as I keep having flashbacks to the back issues I was having commuting on the CX. I can't wait to get rid of this Giant Fastroad, damn thing rides like a slug with bricks on it.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:17 pm

Justinjd79 wrote:Thanks for all the info everyone! Those Felt F5 look great. I think I'm going to go with an endurance as I keep having flashbacks to the back issues I was having commuting on the CX. I can't wait to get rid of this Giant Fastroad, damn thing rides like a slug with bricks on it.
Highly suggest you try a test ride first. The giant fastroad looks like a lightweight flat bar road bike, translation: I don't think your going to get any "feels faster feeling" going to a road bike.