Shimano - sending LBS' broke

warthog1

Re: Shimano - sending LBS' broke

Postby warthog1 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:54 pm

Tim wrote:I'm sometimes surprised I've topped the half-century mark thinking of past chemical and substance ingestion, voluntary and involuntary.
Still, I'm fitter than 98% of men my age but not silly enough to think I won't pay in some way sooner or later.
"Voluntary and involuntary". Too true :oops:
I must be silly then, I'm hoping I get away with it :)
I'm sure you're right though. The cardio-respiratory function is almost certainly below what it otherwise would have been.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

silentC

Postby silentC » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:35 pm

In my younger years I worked in a joinery. There was no such thing as PPE and on most days you could see the dust floating in the air like a mist. All we had were paper masks, which were next to useless. It came home to me one day when I was walking down the street and tripped on a crack in the footpath. I stumbled and came down a bit hard on one foot, and that dislodged something that had been accumulating in my sinuses that I'd rather not mention. I gave notice the next week. I got a job as a builders labourer and went from sawdust to gawd knows what accumulated in the carpets and ceilings of an old building we were converting to a private hospital in Hornsby. Thank god I discovered I could program computers. Now I only have to worry about the stress!
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:13 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Tim wrote:
I wasn't making much in those days...nor many days since. :?
I was a timber floor sander and finisher. About the most unhealthy job on the planet.
Asbestos? I know what it tastes like. :(

Well mate, I hope your cycling has helped flush that sh 1t out.
My Danish bosses in a previous job used to cut it with a 9 inch grinder sans mask years ago and describe coming home with dusted hair and face.
They are still kicking years later to my knowledge.
I was a bulk fuel tanker driver years ago too, similarly I got to suck down petrol fumes daily. Glad I left that.
That's the thing.. it's all about odds. I reckon that most children born in the 70's or before would have been exposed to asbestos to some extent.

:cry:

djw47

Postby djw47 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:52 am

Comedian wrote:Plus, they have a very close relationship with Giant.
I suspect that if it were not for the close relationship Shimano have with bike manufacturers, Shimano would be making their own frames and taking over the entire bike market.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:33 am

djw47 wrote:
I suspect that if it were not for the close relationship Shimano have with bike manufacturers, Shimano would be making their own frames and taking over the entire bike market.
I suspect you're at least in part right. I'd be pretty darn sure they've done the numbers and probably think that if it causes the competition to switch components then they would have to achieve complete domination to end up ahead. Maybe that's too much of a risk for them.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:30 pm

djw47 wrote:
I suspect you're pulling ideas from where the sun don't shine.... Shimano have been in the bike bits game for close to 100 years - even preceding Campagnolo by about a decade. If they were going to try to stake a claim in the frame manufacturing market they would have done so a long time ago.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:54 pm

Duck! wrote:
djw47 wrote:
I suspect you're pulling ideas from where the sun don't shine.... Shimano have been in the bike bits game for close to 100 years - even preceding Campagnolo by about a decade. If they were going to try to stake a claim in the frame manufacturing market they would have done so a long time ago.
Neither us will ever know the inner workings of the conglomerate. :mrgreen: I don't fear Shimano but I do fear that they will wipe out competition in the industry and I believe they would really like to get that done.

If you want to listen to an insider have a listen to Mike Burrows. In particular about 25 minutes in where he terms "the shimano effect"

http://thebikeshow.net/burrows-on-the-bicycle-part-one/

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:03 pm

Comedian wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
Tim wrote:
I wasn't making much in those days...nor many days since. :?
I was a timber floor sander and finisher. About the most unhealthy job on the planet.
Asbestos? I know what it tastes like. :(

Well mate, I hope your cycling has helped flush that sh 1t out.
My Danish bosses in a previous job used to cut it with a 9 inch grinder sans mask years ago and describe coming home with dusted hair and face.
They are still kicking years later to my knowledge.
I was a bulk fuel tanker driver years ago too, similarly I got to suck down petrol fumes daily. Glad I left that.
That's the thing.. it's all about odds. I reckon that most children born in the 70's or before would have been exposed to asbestos to some extent.

:cry:
I've done the angle grinder on asbestos trick :? , but the old man spent his life blowing brake drums clean of dust with air and never had the issues with asbestos (then again he died at 47....prostate cancer back when that wasn't talked about and men died needlessly.). There's still people living in Wittenoom

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-05/w ... ee/7793902.

I figure I'm a walking time bomb tbh.