Cheap but reliable and comfortable bike for fitness

p75213

Cheap but reliable and comfortable bike for fitness

Postby p75213 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:34 pm

I am looking to purchase a cheap bike for fitness. There is no local bs or a second hand market so my only option is online. I am thinking either the Reid Harrier single speed or Reid Condor drop bar. Any opinions on these bikes?

https://www.reidcycles.com.au/harrier-477683.html

https://www.reidcycles.com.au/condor-road-bike.html

Thoglette

Re: Cheap but reliable and comfortable bike for fitness

Postby Thoglette » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:26 am

What sort of riding do you anticipate doing? Gears and drop bars add a whole pile of flexibility - and make hills and headwinds bearable.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

koshari

Postby koshari » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:20 am

Thoglette wrote:What sort of riding do you anticipate doing? Gears and drop bars add a whole pile of flexibility - and make hills and headwinds bearable.
indeed,

indeed, even just a 1xX setup gives you the flexibility of gearing without the often confusing front derailleur adds to novice riders./

relatively speaking 500 bucks is entry level for a half decent bike so something like a giant cs2 for 599rrp. comfort is aided by more generous tires (32mm range) and upright geometry.

p75213

Postby p75213 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:19 am

My preference is the condor because of the gears and drop bars. I have ridden road bikes in the past so know what to expect. The bike would only be ridden for a few months of the year while I am in a somewhat remote location.