Black Friday and Cyber Monday Overload

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Black Friday and Cyber Monday Overload

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:34 am

Anyone else get overloaded and fatigued with all of the announcement and deals.

I didn't purchase a single thing - but Chain Reaction Cycles went stupid with their emails. I am not much of a c r c customer, but the ridiculous amount of promotional emails has turned me into an unsubscriber.

Bike Exchange also started going ballistic and I have unsubscribed... had to do it three times in fact as they didn't think I meant to click the button the first two times, but it eventually worked. And then there is the spam and dodgy businesses (also spammers) who ramp it up.

So did Black Friday and Cyber Monday convince you to buy or have you been unfazed?
Cycling is in my BNA

CXCommuter

Re: Black Friday and Cyber Monday Overload

Postby CXCommuter » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:34 am

Totally agree. The markdowns were not that special by and large and those that were were the cr@p that no one wants.
c r c etc seemed to just take normal priced items and label them as being black...

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:48 am

Yep me as well. Was turned off by all the marketing which seemed unnatural and so American I guess (next thing we will be having thanksgiving!). Almost got caught up in all the hype and bought a Rapha jersey but instead put that money to hiring out a Trek Domane SL 6 for the day from one of the local LBS's and thoroughly enjoyed a 60km bike ride instead. Easily the better decision with more riding and less collection of junk or stuff I just do not need.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:16 am

Yep,me too.
And PBK have done it too.
It's a big turn off for me and I'm not buying for time being.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:37 am

I agree, certainly in regards making it a whole month of marketing crap. I have also unsubscribed from their email list. Wiggle weren't much better, but had some reasonable specials on PRO and Fizik saddles which were at least below normal price.

I think Bikebug actually deserve a special mention in this department, not as many emails, and a lot more genuine specials that I've noticed.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:05 pm

rodneycc wrote:...hiring out a Trek Domane SL 6 for the day from one of the local LBS's and thoroughly enjoyed a 60km bike ride
I see a blip on the new-bike radar Rodney.
Buying the jersey might have been cheaper long term. :D

slowK

Postby slowK » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:06 pm

rodneycc wrote:Yep me as well. Was turned off by all the marketing which seemed unnatural and so American I guess (next thing we will be having thanksgiving!). Almost got caught up in all the hype and bought a Rapha jersey but instead put that money to hiring out a Trek Domane SL 6 for the day from one of the local LBS's and thoroughly enjoyed a 60km bike ride instead. Easily the better decision with more riding and less collection of junk or stuff I just do not need.
Hey rodneycc,

How did the Domane compare to the rest of your stable? You have some amazing bikes, would love to hear your thoughts on them (especially Ti vs carbon).

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:16 pm

Yeah it's a big load of crap. I couldn't figure out what it was and then I got told it was the following day after Thanks giving, WTH, we live in Australia, not America! :roll: :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:43 pm

I'm not on those mailing lists.

I was with a female friend doing a training course and we were in the shopping mall for our lunch break and she wanted to buy in Lora Jane. Being an instructor I could get a sizable discount (they like instructors to wear their clothes so to market them). I signed up, she got the discount and was happy. I was receiving an email from Lora Jane every second day. Fortunately the unsubscribe link worked a treat
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:42 pm

It must work on some people. While I do love a bargain I tend to buy what I need, when I need it, from the best value provider at the time.

Once upon a time sales were a special thing. I almost made a special trip to a shop I have a gift voucher for a few weeks ago but ran out of time. A few weeks later and the shop has had a couple more sales with similar discounts so I know I'll get the same items for the same price soon anyway.

Don't get me started on any of the hardly normal super sales they have every weekend with unbeatable deals.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:25 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:Yep,me too.
And PBK have done it too.
It's a big turn off for me and I'm not buying for time being.
I've been keeping an eye on prices for Ultegra crankset lately looking for bargains and went through PBK's ~70 page Black Friday "specials" list to find they were~ $20 dearer than Wiggle's every day price! Still way cheaper (~$80) than Pushys though.

That's not the first time PBK have done this, regularly they send out email about specials on tyres that are just regular price and often dearer than opposition stores' everyday price. Occasionally there are genuine bargains but more often than not there aren't.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:35 pm

Totally over black friday. I would have had over a 100 emails the last week from various retail sites I have bought from, and the bike ones seem to the worst. Normally in the past I have had a lot from USA outlets, which is understandable. However, this year most were from Australian or UK sites. Not very impressed, and I have unsubscribed from a lot of sites

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:36 pm

Tim wrote:
rodneycc wrote:...hiring out a Trek Domane SL 6 for the day from one of the local LBS's and thoroughly enjoyed a 60km bike ride
I see a blip on the new-bike radar Rodney.
Buying the jersey might have been cheaper long term. :D
Yeah Tim that though had crossed my mind. But the story goes that I had my eye on a Trek Domane SLR 6 with di2 and Fulcrum zeros for only $2300 for sale down the road on Gumtree. I had only just bought the Lynskey and thought Holy crap I can't buy another bike so soon (and the Lynskey was very soon after I just bought another just before it). So I was thinking this is crazy thinking and I happened to walk past a bike shop hiring out Domane SL 6's which was very similar and thankfully the desire to buy disappeared. The hiring process was fantastic. The bike was brand new pulled off the floor and we just pulled off the saddle and pedals which I supplied my own. A quick fit on the trainer and I was out the door in 5 mins. I'd love to do the same thing to all brands if I could and wouldn't buy another bike again. I was really in my element - loved it!.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:54 pm

slowK wrote:
rodneycc wrote:Yep me as well. Was turned off by all the marketing which seemed unnatural and so American I guess (next thing we will be having thanksgiving!). Almost got caught up in all the hype and bought a Rapha jersey but instead put that money to hiring out a Trek Domane SL 6 for the day from one of the local LBS's and thoroughly enjoyed a 60km bike ride instead. Easily the better decision with more riding and less collection of junk or stuff I just do not need.
Hey rodneycc,

How did the Domane compare to the rest of your stable? You have some amazing bikes, would love to hear your thoughts on them (especially Ti vs carbon).
I was first put onto Domane's by on guy on here (rjk) who I haven't seen post for a hell of a long time actually. Great bloke. Was one of the Steel is Real guys and had a Salsa Cassarole (or whatever you call that model - I'm not really up with Salsa's). So he went out and bought himself his dream bike a Trek Domane Project 1 with DA Di2. And I always remember this Steel is Real guy changing his mind on the whole Carbon scene 360degrees and though wow that must be some bike.

Then in 2014 one of the respected magazine's did a comprehensive comparison of the latest endurance bikes on the market. There was a Bianchi Infinifo CV, a Lynskey R255, Giant Defy, and a Trek Domane 5.2 and couple of others. And the Trek Domane was voted the best in what I thought was a pretty impressive field.

So What did I think of it? I was very wary of Duck's advice on here with the BB90 damaging the frame over time. That was the big put off for me with all Trek's. That and the God awful seatmast/seatpost with the side clamp.

But I jumped on the bike and tried to have an open mind. Its a hire bike right? Nothing to lose at all. The first 5 mins were very telling. Just the smoothest thing I'd ever ridden including steel/Ti/carbon/Alloy. Those iso-speeds front and back really do work. Very impressed even on the big hits. I thought it would act like my Bianchi Infinito CV but no - very different. The Bianchi only filters out the very fine vibrartion on the road (i.e road buzz) which is perfect for the road really but not really good for shared paths/rail trails like the roughest sections of the Dandy Creek/Eastlink path where you have tree roots etc. This is where the Trek Domane really is brillant. It would make a fantasic commuter with someone that uses a lot of shared paths (like I do). In some ways its a little like the Specialized Roubaix but I'm not a great fan of the Zert inserts. And the whole frame of the Roubaix is very flexy (and the slowest in my fleet).

So Domane vs my two Ti bikes? Well I would have to say after the first hour in the saddle the Domane was well in front. The smoothness of the ride and the bike setup for me with a Selle SMP saddle was just awesome. Anyone who know the Dandy Creek path and that area would know there is a good series of good hills from the creek along the major roades from Rowville to Heathmont (Wellington Rd, Ferntree Gully Rd, High Street Rd, Burwood Hwy, Boronia Rd and Canterbury Rd). So that was my route for the day, up and down each of those hills. About 60kms and a great workout.

I did have an issue after about the first hour and a half however and had to stop. Remember what I said above about the side clamping seatpost/mast. Bloody thing had slipped and the angle changed which took me another 3 stops to adjust with a mutitool I carry but I never did get it exactly right again until I got home and measured up with a tape measure again and level (got it adequate but not as good as that very first initial setup and first hour on the bike). I remember Steve Hogg mentioned about being wary of side clamping seatposts and Selle SMP saddles. I'm now convinced they do not mix (especially if you are not right in the middle of the rail and clamping slightly to one end like I had). The seatpost again had loosened by the time I got the bike back to shop after I had tightened it to 10Nm with a torque wrench at home.

So sort those seatpost issues (which are Proprietary mind you so no easy solutions) and they have a real winner. Becaue of those issues I'd probably just lean towards my Ti bikes especially the Lynskey Helix which is just wonderful. And as for Speed and allround ability I'm still a fan of my Giant Defy SL and TCR SL which are the whole box and dice and bang for your buck to boot. I would of loved (and should of) put on my Fulcrum zero's or Shamals on for a ride to see how they acted on the bike for speed and hill climbing ability. The stock wheels where still pretty good however.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:01 pm

I too was inundated with 'Black Friday' sales from all manner of sellers, including cycle retailers etc.

Recently though, I reorganised all my mail filters and now have a folder specifically for 'eshopping' with sub-folders for each category, of which 'cycling' is one of them. I've noticed that since doing this, my (top level) inbox only receives a few emails per day, and the amount of spam I get pretty much goes unnoticed, and is much easier to purge when I feel the inclination to do so.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:11 pm

tcdev wrote:I too was inundated with 'Black Friday' sales from all manner of sellers, including cycle retailers etc.

Recently though, I reorganised all my mail filters and now have a folder specifically for 'eshopping' with sub-folders for each category, of which 'cycling' is one of them. I've noticed that since doing this, my (top level) inbox only receives a few emails per day, and the amount of spam I get pretty much goes unnoticed, and is much easier to purge when I feel the inclination to do so.
This. A little time spent setting up folders and rules makes life easier later
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:57 am

Mulger bill wrote:
tcdev wrote:I too was inundated with 'Black Friday' sales from all manner of sellers, including cycle retailers etc.

This. A little time spent setting up folders and rules makes life easier later
My gmail account does this and gets it right most of the time. I don't even need to set it up. I sign up to all stuff like that with the gmail account to help reduce the spam in our usual email account.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

slowK

Postby slowK » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:00 am

[edited because I stuffed up the quoting]

Thanks Rodney - great feedback. Agree - my Infinito is great at reducing road buzz, but big hits still come through. A titanium bike or a Domane would be high on my list for my next bike. Cheers!

caveboy

Postby caveboy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:16 pm

Yes I keep having to delete spam in my inbox

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:30 am

When I use to get an email once a month I was quite happy with it, but they changed to weekly so I unsubscribed from all of the bike stuff sites
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:12 pm

How long does Black Friday go for? Just saw a banner ad saying "Black Friday Final Week".

Thought the whole idea of it was one day of sales.

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:30 pm

rodneycc wrote:
So Domane vs my two Ti bikes?
I want a Ti bike but I believe I will regret it somewhat after riding my Domane. I do 20km on concrete path on my commute everyday and that is the reason why.

march83

Postby march83 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:47 pm

I put some Castelli and Pearl Izumi items in my cart at jenson usa the other day to check the postage options. Postage was not good enough so I closed the tab and didn't buy. Within hours I had received an email reminding me that Castelli and Pearl Izumi were 20% off, but these were the only brands in the email. Too spammy, too creepy, unsubscribed.

I know T7 do a similar thing which is not uncommon - if you put something in your cart but don't complete the order they will "remind" you a few hours later that you "forgot" to finish the order.

I've pretty much un-subbed from everyone now - my attention is too valuable to waste on emails from vendors i'm only half interested in. FOMO is the only thing that kept me on their mailing list but I think it's healthier to just get over that.

Still browse ozbargain every day though...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:09 pm

Wriggle & its subsidiary have built a very large business based on successful marketing. I expect that someone will be doing an analysis on sales v lost opportunity from people unsubscribing to the onslaught of junk.

In my case, have they lost anything? Yes I unsubscribed for much the reasons plenty have listed above, but I don't think I have ever bought based on a promo email - I need X & Y, who has it in stock & emmachisit? I will still do that regardless of unsubscribing & as long as their availability, & prices inc delivery remain good, I am likely to still buy.

Far more damaging from my perspective is the gradual creep of restrictive distribution based on location so that the Australian distributor can continue to price gouge. Be interesting to see what happens with Brexit in that regard
Anything you can do, I can do slower

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:51 pm

Patt0 wrote:
rodneycc wrote:
So Domane vs my two Ti bikes?
I want a Ti bike but I believe I will regret it somewhat after riding my Domane. I do 20km on concrete path on my commute everyday and that is the reason why.
You got to remember Ti can be pretty heavy as well. So its not going to be the speed and climbing machine like the Domane could potentially be or the Defy is.