New bike delivered scratched

Photon

New bike delivered scratched

Postby Photon » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:30 pm

I recently purchased a new bike and had it delivered to my house, upon unpacking it I noticed that it had a scratch around 4cm long on the side of the downtube. After contacting the seller they offered to refund 2.5% of the purchases price (only around $40 on a ~$1600 bike), that wasn't really enough to settle the matter for me though. So at the moment I am wondering if I should accept or just return the bike.

On one hand I paid for a bike in new condition and feel that it should be blemish free, and don't feel that 2.5% off is enough of a discount to accept a bike with damage, superficial though it is. It is also a matte black bike which seems a little more difficult to fix.

On the other hand to return it I will have to take the time to disassemble and repackage everything, then play the waiting game and hope that next time it is in perfect condition. After which I may end up kicking myself when I almost inevitably scratch it myself some way down the line.

Just wondering what others would be doing in this situation.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New bike delivered scratched

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:12 pm

Consider making a counter offer. If it is just a cosmetic scratch can you live with it for $X?

It may be cheaper for the seller to proceed with a settlement if they factor in both the fixed costs (shipping) plus the admin. Obviously a hassle for you so if you can settle, make them an offer, otherwise you will have to pack it all up and play the waiting game.
Cycling is in my BNA

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:22 pm

Same from me as AUbicycles. Exept to say flat black would have to be the easiest paint to match up.

My bike is gloss black and so easy to hide marks and scratches. I know how you feel with a new bike, it is a letdown alright. But go the dollar deal, get the paint matched,they can put it into a can and then next week when the thing falls over you will have the paint to fix both scratches.

For a thin thin line try masking it, spray a bit of paint into the cap and feather touch it with a fine brush or even a cotton bud.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Photon

Postby Photon » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:36 pm

Thanks for the speedy replies, I was thinking of a counter offer but I honestly have no idea of what would be reasonable. I thought that whatever it would cost to get it professionally fixed would be a reasonable refund amount, but I figure that would be quite a bit more than $40.

IamGroot

Postby IamGroot » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:47 am

Did you purchase the bike from an online bike store and if so do they state their terms and conditions relating to deliveries and returns.

Photon

Postby Photon » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:45 am

That's right Groot, as I said they are willing to replace it which I would 100% do if there was say a dent or anything broken. The scratch obviously won't effect performance, it is more the principle of the thing.

Andoland

Postby Andoland » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:11 pm

My canyon came with a scratch on it. They offered to refund some money (a lot more than $40) if I kept the bike, refund in total and return the bike or replace the bike. I liked the bike and wanted it so opted for a replacement. My view was that I paid for a new bike so that's what I wanted. The scratch was only small but was in a very visible area. If it was somewhere inconspicuous I would have taken the money.