recommend flat bar shifters - 2 x10

Top_Bhoy

recommend flat bar shifters - 2 x10

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:38 am

After much deliberation with myself and before I spend too much money, I'm going down a different path from which I originally intended. I'll give away/sell off current parts from my existing hybrid but intend to keep the a SLX M675 hydraulic brake set - for no other reasons than I have it, it is only 6 months old and it works well. :D

The intent now is to use road components (Tiagra/105) to build a flat bar bike but keep the SLX M675 hydraulic brakes. I was originally thinking of using SLX/XT shifters but reading-up, these are unlikely to go well with a Tiagra/105 drivetrain. If there isn't any issue in using the SLX brake set with this type of set-up (I don't see one but open to knowing about it), can anyone recommend a suitable set of flat bar shifters compatible with a 2 x 10 Tiagra/105 drivetrain?

Cheers

find_bruce

Re: recommend flat bar shifters - 2 x10

Postby find_bruce » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:52 am

Anything you can do, I can do slower

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:46 pm

find_bruce wrote:Do you mean something other than Tiagra 2x10sp Flat Bar Shifters or Dura-ace 10 Speed Thumbshifters?
Thanks, I can't open your links but I think I found what you linked to. Not sure why my searches didn't find it but yes, something like that Tiagra is what I am thinking.

Aside from replacing the chain and cassette every so often, a question to myself now is do I go for the 10s and hope it will be supported for at least 5 years or pay that bit extra and start of with 11s. The equivalent 11s Shmano shifter is the SL-RS700. More decisions....its quite a complicated decision with the fast rate of change as a result of technology turnover.

koshari

Postby koshari » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:28 am

do I go for the 10s and hope it will be supported for at least 5 years or pay that bit extra and start of with 11s. The equivalent 11s Shmano shifter is the SL-RS700. More decisions....its quite a complicated decision with the fast rate of change as a result of technology turnover.
7 speed is still supported, i dont think you will have any problems supporting 10 speed for a very long time.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:01 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:
The intent now is to use road components (Tiagra/105) to build a flat bar bike but keep the SLX M675 hydraulic brakes. I was originally thinking of using SLX/XT shifters but reading-up, these are unlikely to go well with a Tiagra/105 drivetrain.
It's not "unlikely", it's dead cert that beyond 9-sp*. MTB & road shifters & derailleurs do not play nicely together.

10-sp. will be around for a while, but if you're thinking about possible future upgrades then a mix of 4700 Tiagra & "11-sp." 105+ will be a good way to go. Shimano mucked around with cable pull ratios with the introduction of 11-sp, and 4700 Tiagra, although still 10-sp. uses the same cable pull ratio as 11-sp, rather than the ratio used with old 10-sp. and everything else. What this means if you go 10-sp. now with 4700 shifters, if you go 11-sp. down the track you won't need to replace derailleurs, just shifters, chain & cassette.

*10-sp. road except 4700 Tiagra works on the same cable pull ratio as 7/8/9-sp. so can be mixed with MTB bits, but that's not really the combination you're looking for.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.