Kickstarter

hamishm

Kickstarter

Postby hamishm » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:53 pm

CyclingTips has an interesting podcast about bike projects and Kickstarter. I think one of the panelists mentioned there are something like 60 new cycling-related projects listed every day?!
https://cyclingtips.com/2016/11/cycling ... velopment/

Does anyone follow Kickstarter for cycling related stuff? Care to share any good finds?

One of the panelists on the podcast was responsible for the Fix It Sticks, which seems like a pretty cool tool idea. Now at http://fixitsticks.com/original

Another was responsible for this portable torque wrench: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... nav_search

koshari

Re: Kickstarter

Postby koshari » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:15 pm

i think Kickstarter was a novel idea when it started but IMO its full of underperformer/pipe dreams these days.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:26 pm

koshari wrote:i think Kickstarter was a novel idea when it started but IMO its full of underperformer/pipe dreams these days.
No doubt but there's no reason why there wouldn't be good projects on there still. The T-Ratchet portable torque wrench linked above, for example.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:09 pm

hamishm wrote:No doubt but there's no reason why there wouldn't be good projects on there still. The T-Ratchet portable torque wrench linked above, for example.
Mine was posted this week - should have it soon. I do run a eye over Kickstarter projects, but watch Massdrop more.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:28 pm

I don't get why established companies such as Knog need to crowdfund new products. They should just go to the bank and get a loan like 99% of businesses do. Crowdfunding should only be for amateur/beginner startups IMO.

Even Cycling Tips have got in on the action of late, to fund a travel video.

I thought crowdfunding new (cycling) products might of slowed down with the recent demise of Brim Bros power cleats but it still seems to be powering along.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:24 pm

Ross wrote:I don't get why established companies such as Knog need to crowdfund new products. They should just go to the bank and get a loan like 99% of businesses do. Crowdfunding should only be for amateur/beginner startups IMO.

Yeah I feel the same, although I'm not sure I'm being fair. Feels like getting funding from Kickstarter is risk free for the supplier, compared to borrowing from the bank or using the profits from your last project, where you are putting your own money on the line. I guess that's why they do it.

And yeah crowdfunding for a couple of pro riders to go on a cycling holiday, hmm...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:47 pm

I am surprised that there are 60 new cycling product entries a day - it means that the Kickstarter Search function is broken or flawed.

If a brand already has successful products (on or off kickstarter) then this helps make them more trustworthy when it comes to deciding whether to back. Silca is a fairly old brand, reinvented since the purchase and move from Italy to the US - but they have been reliably producing bicycle pumps, so their kickstarter campaign gives backers more certainty of delivery.

I actually asked knog the questions - why kickstarter. I have my own answer which I will add below but this is what they said for the launch of the knog Oi! bike bell.
Christopher (BNA): As an established brand, why go to kickstarter?

Sam (knog): This is something we considered very carefully. We understand the intent of Kickstarter and are huge fans of the crowdfunding model for individuals and start-ups. Our answer is: time. There are obvious marketing benefits to Kickstarter – reaching a new audience, demonstrating demand etc – but we are a product design company. As such, we love making products and want to get them in people’s hands as soon as we possibly can. Since our core products are locks and lights, the totally new bell tooling and testing would require a much longer lead time without the pledges gained from our new Kickstarter supporters.

Of course I’m assuming we’ll have some, because we’re confident that this is a great product. But if the worst should happen, there is yet another benefit of direct feedback and dialogue with consumers so we can constantly improve.
It is important not to underestimate the marketing value. They have a very suitable product, perfect for kickstarter as it is innovative and looks cool - and in contrast to money for advertising and creating publicity, there is a big community of individuals, influencers and media who are now talking about the product. When the product is suitable, the reward for the brand is incredible. Unless kickstarter blocks this, it is a real option for the right brands with the right products.

For followers and fans of a brand, perhaps the kickstarter approach may affect the credibility among some (i.e. bandwagen approach or selling out?) but it also reaches new audiences and the connection with kickstarter is a positive among many.

Thanks for the tip on Massdrop. Another crowdsourcing platform is indigogo.

I enjoy browsing the platforms but am selective about what I commit to backing - a really awesome brand is the Everyday backpack and Everyday messenger. I saw that the brand was already successful in delivering and the products were spot-on for my needs and are simply excellent.
Cycling is in my BNA

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:52 pm

RonK wrote:
hamishm wrote:No doubt but there's no reason why there wouldn't be good projects on there still. The T-Ratchet portable torque wrench linked above, for example.
Mine was posted this week - should have it soon. I do run a eye over Kickstarter projects, but watch Massdrop more.
Mine rocked up today
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:05 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Mine rocked up today
How is it?

I'm not sure I need one personally, but then my main bike is titanium apart from the fork and seatpost, and I haven't got any parts where the torque is too critical, so feel has been good enough.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:07 am

hamishm wrote:I'm not sure I need one personally
I created a useful diagram to help you answer the question of whether or not you need it. In fact, you may find it useful for anything you are considering purchasing.

Cycling is in my BNA

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:51 am

hamishm wrote:
How is it?

I'm not sure I need one personally, but then my main bike is titanium apart from the fork and seatpost, and I haven't got any parts where the torque is too critical, so feel has been good enough.
I did that boo boo and didn't get the torque bit. Just got the main T-handle and that is good enough for me anyhow. Just wish they sold the torque extension individually
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

2sharp

Postby 2sharp » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:20 pm

Ross wrote:I don't get why established companies such as Knog need to crowdfund new products. They should just go to the bank and get a loan like 99% of businesses do. Crowdfunding should only be for amateur/beginner startups IMO.

I thought crowdfunding new (cycling) products might of slowed down with the recent demise of Brim Bros power cleats but it still seems to be powering along.
And they managed to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! it up hard. I ordered my Knog bells months ago and received them today. Last week I saw a box of them in the LBS. I could've bought one, cheaper (due to not paying postage) right then and there and had it in my hand sooner than the one I ordered in July.

(and then they turn out to be not that loud)

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:47 am

Baalzamon wrote:
hamishm wrote:
How is it?

I did that boo boo and didn't get the torque bit. Just got the main T-handle and that is good enough for me anyhow. Just wish they sold the torque extension individually
My first attempt at ordering was a mistake as I didn't read carefully enough and I ordered just the T-handle part. I re-read the description and cancelled the first order and then ordered the T-Ratchet and Ti-Torque set. Mine should arrive tomorrow. I think a portable torque wrench and bit set is a fantastic idea.