Re: Wheel weight

Postby techsupport » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:47 pm

Report this post

Postby A_P » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:51 pm
this is considerably cheaper
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... p-prod1289

Hi A_P,

Thanks for that, $15.95 with postage perfect!
Is that a bird or a plane? 8)

A_P

Postby A_P » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:24 pm

wrong.... now you need to find another $94 worth of stuff you want but probably don't really need and you will get free postage on the lot :lol: :lol:

techsupport

Postby techsupport » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:53 am

lol A_P!

Is there a site for torque values for the components? Seat post, handlebar stem, freewheel cassette lock ring..

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:35 pm

techsupport wrote: Is there a site for torque values for the components? Seat post, handlebar stem, freewheel cassette lock ring..
Unlikely, because they're specified by the individual component manufacturers. However, as a general guide seatposts are 5-8NM, stems 6-8NM onto the steerer and 6-8NM onto the handlebar for 2-bolt face plates & 5-6NM for 4-bolt, while cassettes are 40NM.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:25 pm

techsupport wrote: Is there a site for torque values for the components? Seat post, handlebar stem, freewheel cassette lock ring..
+1 to Duck`s advice.

And do not get these torque value info like this pic below.

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

techsupport

Postby techsupport » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:34 pm

Thanks Duck & Bungred Knee, that's a good starting point, I will look up Shimano site for the rest if required.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:23 pm

Duck! wrote:
Unlikely, because they're specified by the individual component manufacturers. However, as a general guide seatposts are 5-8NM, stems 6-8NM onto the steerer and 6-8NM onto the handlebar for 2-bolt face plates & 5-6NM for 4-bolt, while cassettes are 40NM.
Wow. A pro bike mechanic who actually uses a torque wrench.

Can we tempt you to move to Sydney?

techsupport

Postby techsupport » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:43 pm

LOL! I am in Sydney south west

All part of the learning curve LOVE CYCLING!

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:24 pm

techsupport wrote: I will look up Shimano site for the rest if required.
You won't find much there on that front, seeing as it's only the drive components on your bike that are made by Shimano.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:26 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Duck! wrote:
Wow. A pro bike mechanic who actually uses a torque wrench.

Can we tempt you to move to Sydney?
techsupport wrote:LOL! I am in Sydney south west

All part of the learning curve LOVE CYCLING!
TG's dig wasn't aimed at you, it was pointed my way. :wink: And no, I can't be tempted to move to Squidney. :P

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:04 pm

Duck! wrote:TG's dig wasn't aimed at you, it was pointed my way. :wink: And no, I can't be tempted to move to Squidney. :P
Weeelll, it wasn't so much as a dig at you as at all the FIGJAM bike mechanics who reckon they're too good to be bothered with a torque wrench. Why would manufacturers go to the trouble and cost of etching the recommended torque on the component if they didn't intend you to take it seriously?

What was aimed at you was the compliment that you're a very rare bird, a conscientious artisan..

Bummed that you won't come to Sydney :cry: :cry: :cry: but then what cyclist in their right mind would while this current government is in power?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:31 pm

Duck! wrote:
Duck's guide to tension is about as good as it gets. Some components have the torque spec written on them. I've only seen figures written on the components that are the same as what Duck as written as the concern is usually not the component itself but what it is being bolted to, in particular CF.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

techsupport

Postby techsupport » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:48 pm

Took the bike for a run today with new wheels and cassette, so much smoother with 25c tires, much smoother and beat a couple pb's on a short 6.5km test run.

techsupport

Postby techsupport » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:12 am

Wooot!

A change from standard to lightweight aero wheels with continental ultra sport (25c) and a 11/28 cassette. I managed to beat 72 pb's on Strava from previous rides, bike rides faster and smoother, I haven't tried 110PSI yet I have been riding on 100PSI and very happy with ride and performance of bike.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:55 pm

It's a misconception that higher pressure = faster unless you're riding on an incredibly smooth surface. So don't even consider 110in the 25s unless you're of considerable ballast. I'd stick with 100 tops in the rear, and drop the front to about 90.

techsupport

Postby techsupport » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:40 pm

Duck! wrote:It's a misconception that higher pressure = faster unless you're riding on an incredibly smooth surface. So don't even consider 110in the 25s unless you're of considerable ballast. I'd stick with 100 tops in the rear, and drop the front to about 90.
Duck! wrote:It's a misconception that higher pressure = faster unless you're riding on an incredibly smooth surface. So don't even consider 110in the 25s unless you're of considerable ballast. I'd stick with 100 tops in the rear, and drop the front to about 90.
Thanks Duck!

I will try 90 at the front, and I'll stay at max 100PSI.
Oh by the way on subject of pumps, is there a floor standing model you recommend?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:00 pm

I'm a fan of the Topeak Joe Blow range.