Shipping new frameset from UK to Aust:- <$1k AUD : Customs etc

owly

Shipping new frameset from UK to Aust:- <$1k AUD : Customs etc

Postby owly » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:46 pm

I've read some older posts from a few years back on here re the subject, but want to be doubly sure I wouldn't get hit with other costs/GST/duties etc.

Q. If the online cost of the new frameset plus shipping to my door, comes to under $1k AUD at the online transaction stage (lets say $970), will I be charged any additional costs/small costs at the border/customs/local courier, which would then find myself paying a few hundred more because I've fallen over some $ cut-off point?
MUFC :twisted:

mikgit

Re: Shipping new frameset from UK to Aust:- <$1k AUD : Customs etc

Postby mikgit » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:04 pm

you shouldn't, I man you never now till it happens, but you shouldn't.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:09 pm

The price is based on the date the frameset lands into Oz NOT when ordered. Therefore, with such slender margins (eg $30), you will be hoping the GBP and AUD are stable between ordering and it landing into Oz. Should the GBP weaken, the AUD cost will increase and you risk going over the threshold. Not really much you can do about this other than keep your fingers crossed and delivery is swift. Not sure whether you would be charged if the AUD value exceeds the threshold by say $10 (perhaps others have experiences of this situation) but when it is tight, I would likely assume the worst case.

Edit: I misread the OP and see that this is the confirmed price but I'll keep my post up for reference material. It all becomes a bit moot in 2017 anyway - when all imports are to have GST applied.

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:49 pm

If you love the frameset and just have to have it then do your darndest to get it even if that means paying a small amount of 'tax'
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

The shipping costs are added - so if the total value + shipping costs exceeds $1000 on your overseas order, then you may be eligible.
Cycling is in my BNA

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:32 pm

If the total invoiced cost is <$1000au, no duty or gst is payable. Unless you are considering the frame I am :wink: .

owly

Postby owly » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:17 pm

I wasn't quite sure if the shipping costs were included in that figure, so thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks everyone.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:07 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:The price is based on the date the frameset lands into Oz NOT when ordered. Therefore, with such slender margins (eg $30), you will be hoping the GBP and AUD are stable between ordering and it landing into Oz. Should the GBP weaken, the AUD cost will increase and you risk going over the threshold. Not really much you can do about this other than keep your fingers crossed and delivery is swift. Not sure whether you would be charged if the AUD value exceeds the threshold by say $10 (perhaps others have experiences of this situation) but when it is tight, I would likely assume the worst case.

Edit: I misread the OP and see that this is the confirmed price but I'll keep my post up for reference material. It all becomes a bit moot in 2017 anyway - when all imports are to have GST applied.
If the GBP weakens then the AUD cost will fall.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:34 pm

AUbicycles wrote:The shipping costs are added - so if the total value + shipping costs exceeds $1000 on your overseas order, then you may be eligible.
You will be. I got slugged those costs on a Cervelo P5 frameset from Garmin-Sharp a few years ago. Even with those costs, I was way ahead. Same package here would have been $7000. I got it for less than half that.

For me, UPS paid the customs fees, then I paid UPS. Although it cost a bit extra, the process was trouble free. Arrived in a couple of days from Boulder, Colorado.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:14 pm

biker jk wrote:If the GBP weakens then the AUD cost will fall.
Yes, a faux pas on my part. The important part being conveyed remains valid eg small currency fluctuations between the item being purchased and it landing in Australia could turn out to be an expensive surprise if insufficient margins are used in the calculations.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:52 am

g-boaf - did UPS charge you their rubbish premium Australian processing fee? I admit that I still have a grudge against UPS following a commercial order where I paid the complete UPS shipping cost upfront and then UPS Australia added an additional fee - UPS Au played dumb and gave me the run-around, essentially cornered me to pay to release the delivery and of course never to phone calls or emails questioning their dubious fees.

My view is that if I pay for shipping / postage, then this should cover the complete charge for the delivery service. If a company like UPS want to cash processing fees, then calculate it at the beginning and not half-way through the process.

Sorry for going off-topic, but it is a demonstration how companies can easily lose a lot of business (and how companies can attempt to scrap a bit off the top).
Cycling is in my BNA

HenryCharlie

Postby HenryCharlie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:25 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:
biker jk wrote:If the GBP weakens then the AUD cost will fall.
Yes, a faux pas on my part. The important part being conveyed remains valid eg small currency fluctuations between the item being purchased and it landing in Australia could turn out to be an expensive surprise if insufficient margins are used in the calculations.
If the invoice with the shipment is in AUD then the exchange rate won't be taken into account. i.e. if the invoice says $970AUD, you would be okay as I believe it's <$1000 Paid not <$1000 at time of arrival in Oz. I just imported a tent into Oz from the UK and they took the invoice price, not the value of the goods at time of arrival in Oz.
I overtook some people going uphill once.

battler2

Postby battler2 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:40 pm

just order, and stop worrying about it.

gbp has been stable around 60 lately and it won't plummet by the time your frame gets here.

i did the same not long ago and was about $20 under.

i think some bicycle parts are completely exempt from GST but its hidden somewhere in a manual on customs site that's hard to find. might have been wheels, but could be frames too.

owly

Postby owly » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:58 am

I was determining which of two framesets I was going to purchase.
Ended up choosing the Australian co. frameset.

rotherwhite

Postby rotherwhite » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:48 pm

Hi
Bought a Ribble from UK in Apr 16, approx cost $1800. It came through Perth with no Tax, Gst, or any extras to pay.....

I think it is pot luck as to what comes through and what gets pulled up.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:01 am

rotherwhite wrote:Hi I think it is pot luck as to what comes through and what gets pulled up.
The luck of the draw!
Cycling is in my BNA