Replacement rear tyre for Giant Tcr

EJ25

Replacement rear tyre for Giant Tcr

Postby EJ25 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi All,

First post and new rider here. After a ride I noticed a cut on my rear tyre (about 1cm long). Now even though it has not lost pressure yet, I'm thinking about preparing for a replacement tyre in the meantime for the inevitable.

Now I've only got a few hundred k's under my belt and I plan on getting a new P-SL 1, 700 x 25c tyre in the meantime.

I've visited quite a few of the LBS's websites and none of them seem to stock this particular tyre on their websites.

Is this something that I have to contact Giant Sydney directly to get? Also, what will be a guesstimate on pricing of the rears?

Regards,
Elliot

paule11

Re: Replacement rear tyre for Giant Tcr

Postby paule11 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:54 am

Can you put up a picture of how bad the cut is you might be able to superglue it and maybe put it on the front

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:00 am

Giant, Specialized and Trek/Botranger branded items cannot be bought on line in Australia - see your local shop. Australians are also being blocked from buying Sram gear from overseas as well.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:16 am

There is no reason to limit yourself to one particular tyre. There are many suitable alternatives out there. Any 700c tyre in 25mm (622-25) will fit.

Cheers,

Cameron

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:18 am

ironhanglider wrote:There is no reason to limit yourself to one particular tyre. There are many suitable alternatives out there. Any 700c tyre in 25mm (622-25) will fit.

Cheers,

Cameron
One suitable alternative being Schwalbe Ones which I run on both bikes in 25mm.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:17 pm

Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

EJ25

Postby EJ25 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:30 pm

Thanks all for the reply. I called them today and confirmed that they don't order oem tyres.

Now that it isn't an option, what are the recommendations for the rear tyre? Noting this is purely recreational and there wont be any racing.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:14 pm

mikgit wrote:here you go, job done:
http://www.pushys.com.au/continental-gp ... roved.html
Mikgit is on the money... +1.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:02 pm

Or Continental Gatorskins for a bit more puncture protection if that's what you're after.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:49 pm

tez001 wrote:Or Continental Gatorskins for a bit more puncture protection if that's what you're after.
yeah probably better, I find that 4000's as much as i like em, tend to puncture a bit easily.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:50 pm

Usernoname wrote:Australians are also being blocked from buying Sram gear from overseas as well.
No great loss there.

Seems a bit silly to be handing market share to their competition, though. Mavic did the same thing a few years ago. Their market share here has never recovered.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:52 pm

^ yeah well mavic have dont it again,can't get it through c r c/wiggle any more.

Only issue with sram not being available, is rockshox and avid v brakes.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:41 pm

paule11 wrote:Can you put up a picture of how bad the cut is you might be able to superglue it and maybe put it on the front
most definitely do NOT put it on the front, put your best tyre on the front.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:02 am

But it depends on the severity of the cut as to whether you need to replace... if it is deep, this is where you need to consider your safety. If it is light, e.g. 1mm, use superglue as suggested and regularly check it. If you notice it getting deeper and longer then it is starting to fail and needs to be replaced.

A set of Continental GP 4000 IIs in (700c 25mm) to replace front and back are much better tyres than the standard Giant ones (Giant have their own brand is that it is cheaper). Vittoria are also a good brand.

With tyres, you will find that you can get them online for sometimes less than half the price than in a local bike shop.
Cycling is in my BNA

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:53 pm

I had a situation where I bought a brand new set of Schwalbe One's. Rear tyre punctured 3 times in 2 weeks. Threw it in the bin today and bought a Schwalbe Durano for the rear. Feels solid.

It depends on where you ride. I ride in suburban Melbourne roads which are ridden with rubbish and so puncture protection it seems is more important than suppleness for now in my case.

If you want a supple tyres but susceptible to cuts Schwalbe Ones are great, otherwise Schwalbe Durano or Gatorskin if you want something hard wearing so you're not wasting time changing flats roadside!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:28 am

Defy The Odds wrote:It depends on where you ride. I ride in suburban Melbourne roads which are ridden with rubbish and so puncture protection it seems is more important than suppleness for now in my case.
I've finally had my first real puncture in half a decade (double gee was the last one). Armoured tyres are a complete waste of $$ and make riding crappier, all other things being equal. If you have an occasional puncture problem, use replaceable valve tubes and "Stans".

If you want a supple tyres but cheap (and slightly armoured) Maxxis Refuse or Conti Ultra sport do the job for a fraction of the price of 'Tator skins or Schwalbe anything.

Otherwise anything labelled "open tubular" will be seriously nice, if exxy. (especially Compass or Grand Bois) :D :D

Put the new tyre on the front, the old on the rear.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:08 am

Thoglette wrote:
Defy The Odds wrote:It depends on where you ride. I ride in suburban Melbourne roads which are ridden with rubbish and so puncture protection it seems is more important than suppleness for now in my case.
I've finally had my first real puncture in half a decade (double gee was the last one). Armoured tyres are a complete waste of $$ and make riding crappier, all other things being equal. If you have an occasional puncture problem, use replaceable valve tubes and "Stans".

If you want a supple tyres but cheap (and slightly armoured) Maxxis Refuse or Conti Ultra sport do the job for a fraction of the price of 'Tator skins or Schwalbe anything.

Otherwise anything labelled "open tubular" will be seriously nice, if exxy. (especially Compass or Grand Bois) :D :D

Put the new tyre on the front, the old on the rear.
I haven't been riding that long, but I changed to Schwalbe One and punctured rear tyre 3 times in a couple of weeks. Not fun.

I'd rather a sturdier tyre as I'd prefer to spend less time roadside and more on the bike.

Alot comes down to your experiences and mine dictate I need a tougher tyre.

Besides the Durano is still pretty supple considering it is much more puncture resistant than the ones according to online tests... I am yet to put it to the test

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:06 am

Defy The Odds wrote:It depends on where you ride. I ride in suburban Melbourne roads which are ridden with rubbish and so puncture protection it seems is more important than suppleness
You should try Mildura in January. Grape picking season brings tractors and B-Doubles dragging all kinds of thorns out onto the gutterless roads. Sealant is not just a luxury.

I'll +1 on the Maxxis Refuse tyres though

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:34 am

trailgumby wrote:
Usernoname wrote:Australians are also being blocked from buying Sram gear from overseas as well.
No great loss there.

Seems a bit silly to be handing market share to their competition, though. Mavic did the same thing a few years ago. Their market share here has never recovered.
Depends how you define how they haven't recovered because there are other things where that make them a pain to deal with.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Usernoname wrote:Giant, Specialized and Trek/Bontrager branded items cannot be bought on line in Australia - see your local shop.
You'll find that's not just Australia; parts from those brands can only be bought through their authorised dealers, wherever in the world they happen to be.

The Giant tyres are made by Kenda. They're not bad, but they're not amazing either.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Not Conti Ultra Sport. They are truly terrible.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:11 pm

Defy The Odds wrote: I haven't been riding that long, but I changed to Schwalbe One and punctured rear tyre 3 times in a couple of weeks. Not fun.

I'd rather a sturdier tyre as I'd prefer to spend less time roadside and more on the bike.

Alot comes down to your experiences and mine dictate I need a tougher tyre.

Besides the Durano is still pretty supple considering it is much more puncture resistant than the ones according to online tests... I am yet to put it to the test

If you got 3 punctures in a couple of weeks, you got to ask yourself if you are pinching the tubes when putting them on, or the rim valve hole has a sharp edge that bites the tube, or there was a piece of metal or glass left in the tire between punctures, or the rim tape is installed poorly.
If none of the above, then yep you might be riding too light a tire for the rubbish on your rides.

If the OP is only a recreational rider, and rides a lot of dirty routes, I'd recommend a tire no lighter than 230grams.
Here's a list I made up a few years ago

Brand Model Description grams AUD

Michelin Lithion 2 230 16
Vittoria Corsa Open Corsa Evo Tech Professionals choice 230 46
Vredestein Fortezza Quattro Tricomp 230 33
Michelin Krylion Carbon Endurance 5000km 235 27
Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 Tech All Rounders 240 27
Vittoria Open Pave Evo CG 240 50
Vredestein Fortezza TriComp 240 30
Vredestein Fortezza Senso Extreme Weather 246 37
Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick Value 250 16
Schwalbe Lugano Entry Level 255 19
Vredestein Freccia TriComp 270 24
Maxxis Re-fuse Kevlar 62A 280 30
Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Tech Value 290 19
Vredestein Fiammente DuoComp 290 19
Specialized Armadillos All Condition Very durable and heavy 323 40

The Specialized Armadillos are highly regarded for puncture resistance but they are very heavy.
The Vredestein Fortezza Senso Extreme Weather at 246grams is also highly regarded.
But don't be afraid of buying a sub $25 tire. Even the best tires get damaged riding routes with lots of rubbish on them.
I'd also suggest you buy a 25mm wide tire rather than 23mm. It should be a bit more comfortable and durable on rough surfaces.

Try Ribble, Evans, and Wiggle for the keenest prices online, but keep in mind shipping fees if you don't spend to their thresholds.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:56 pm

rodneycc wrote:Not Conti Ultra Sport. They are truly terrible.
I must confess I've been using the 630 (27" x )sized tyres , which are a fine inexpensive tyre.

But the 622s (700C) seem to only have detractors. I wonder what's going on here?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:51 pm

The Conti Ultra sport "race" 23mm tyres are the harshest tyre I have ever had the displeasure of using. Yes maybe the larger ones are better but the 23mm were not even worthy of putting on a $350 Aldi road bike I reckon.

For me it was a very quick education of good tyre selection and how much difference in ride quality good tyres really do make. So the moral of the story is if you have a very nice carbon framed bike then don't stick crap tyres on it or you may of well purchased that $350 Aldi alloy road bike because thats the exact same ride feeling replication you will get using those tyres.

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:54 pm

I distroyed the standard front giant tyre on my current model TCR and the rear was ready for replacement anyway. As I didnt have any spare road slicks and had to order the new tyres, so I put on some 28c vittoria rubino pro techs I use for my 29er mtb so I could keep riding it. It suprisingly rides very nicely for a set of cheap puncture resistant tyres.
So I'm starting to get very excited thinking about how nice it will be once the 25c conti GP4000's I ordered arrive in the next few days :)