SpeedX launches bike with integrated power-meter at CES Las Vegas

Ross

SpeedX launches bike with integrated power-meter at CES Las Vegas

Postby Ross » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:06 am

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/22m-sp ... gas/020514
In 2014 the first SpeedX smartbike was launched on Kickstarter. Then came the SpeedForce bike computer that raised $450,000 on Indiegogo. And in March 2016, SpeedX launched the Leopard smart bike, which became the most funded road bike project on Kickstarter with over $2.3 million in pre-sales.

“With the SpeedX Unicorn we’ve pushed limits to develop a one-of-a-kind lightweight road bike. We introduce our in-house built technology 9vibration damping] to enhance more comfort when riding along with our built-in power meter with 99% accuracy, and a completely redesigned SpeedForce running on Android OS,” said Raggy Lau of SpeedX’s CMO.

The Unicorn's integrated power meter is claimed to remain charged for 400 hours and has been tested against SRM where it is said to have recorded 99 percent accuracy. The bike also has SpeedForce, a integrated cycling computer with a 2.2-inch touchscreen.

The Unicorn Di2 is on Kickstarter for £2914 but has a retail price if £3565. The Unicorn X eTap is on Kickstarter for £4615 but has a claimed retail of £5917.

2wheels_mond

Re: SpeedX launches bike with integrated power-meter at CES Las Vegas

Postby 2wheels_mond » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:36 am

I wouldn't be surprised that if, given the reviews of the original, backers are somewhat more wary this time around.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:11 am

why would you pay that much money for a bike from an unknown supplier and not even see it in the flesh/test ride it vs an whole host of known brands that yiou can see/feel/touch/try for a similar price.

Sure, some of the 'integration' is neat, but it gets so rapidly overtaken by electronic improvements in a yearly fashion, it would be so obsolete so quick.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:26 am

I agree, electronics integration is an issue as it can reduce the lifespan of the bike when superseded.

Surprised to see that the SpeedX community is turning sour with the company unable to pinpoint projected delivery for some customers. I have supported a few kickstarter projects and regular communication is key - when the projected delivery date slows... let the community know asap and explain exactly why.

I didn't realised that the SpeedX wasn't completed shipped before the Unicorn project has been announced. Still would be keen to ride a SpeedX and see how it performs.
Cycling is in my BNA

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:17 am

Makes me even more wary about such projects.

Sometimes, they do work though, but this one doesn't appear to be. Interesting to see how the fundraising for the Unicorn goes ....