Buying kids bikes

DL_Ashe

Buying kids bikes

Postby DL_Ashe » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Hi there,

I haven't ridden in years, but would like to get my kids into bikes. They've both ridden Razor scooters for a few years, but bikes are something they've never even asked about... something I want to change. The boys are 7 & 9 years old, and from what I can gather from reading a few posts on here and elsewhere, buying from department stores is a massive no-no.

Money is pretty tight however, so we're looking to just buy one bike in the short-term (budget around $150-$200 max), which they can alternate as the other can have the scooter, until we can save up for a second. Byk looks to be the best one around... and given both boys are new to riding, the 450 looks to be about right? I can't see one cheaper than mid $300s at a glance though (I'm in north-western suburbs of Melbourne).

For boys in the 7-9 bracket with no riding experience, is the Byk 450 the right choice? And any Melbourne based recommendations on places to get them from? I appreciate that $200 may limit my options... and possibly even rule out the Byk entirely... but I can't stretch beyond that on the back of Xmas....

Sincerely appreciate anyone's help & feedback.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Buying kids bikes

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:20 am

Byk is a good brand and your strategy would be to have your youngest on the hand-me-downs.

Two other alternatives - ask around among relatives and friends, particularly those that have slightly older kids and on newer bikes - you may be able to get used bikes for free or a lot cheaper that you otherwise need to pay. While new bikes are nice, they are not mandatory, particularly for kids.

Also, look for second hand bikes. Be wary of the second-hand supermarket bikes (get familiar with some of the names - Huffy, Diamond back, Southern star) and look out for known brands.

As your kids are new to bikes, you can go for BMX style bikes - gears are probably not necessary though for your oldest, in tow or three years the next logical step is a MTB style bike with gears.

ebay can be fairly hit and miss - gumtree is an option (though there are still a few jokers on there), otherwise local groups such as on facebook.

Second hand bikes may need a bit of love and cleaning and lubing the chain, youtube videos will provide plenty of guidance.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

koshari

Postby koshari » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:14 am

You can often see 2nd hand bmx bikes on gumtree from 30 bucks and up. Look for things like aluminum rims.3 peice cranks and aluminium stems ect. Bmx has sub categories such as racer, freestyle and jumper. Jumpers are near bulletproof but heavy. Frestyles will have thick axles to accommodate pegs and gyro brakes. racers have slicker lighter rims and thinner tires but a little more prone to buckles.

On the 2nd hand market find some links and post here for people to comment.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:09 pm

Byks are nice but probably out of budget if new. Might get lucky used though. Reid Viper 20" or 24" might be worth looking at.

stevexg

Postby stevexg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:37 pm

Worth keeping an eye on gumtree. I just picked up a bky 350 for $40, bit rough but nothing a clean and lube won't fix. Much better than the $300 that I was considering for a new one!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:00 am

Whatever you do, make sure you get an alloy frame. Steel frames are heavy and turned kids off riding

koshari

Postby koshari » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:15 pm

jasonc wrote:Whatever you do, make sure you get an alloy frame. Steel frames are heavy and turned kids off riding
horses for courses, i would go crmo on a jumper before ally.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:34 pm

jasonc wrote:Whatever you do, make sure you get an alloy frame. Steel frames are heavy and turned kids off riding
But steel is real! And alloy is harsh! Won't somebody think of the children!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:03 pm

MattyK wrote:
Hey op - Mattyk will pay for ti

koshari

Postby koshari » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:36 pm

jasonc wrote:
MattyK wrote:
Hey op - Mattyk will pay for ti
blimey, i used to ride an old hotfoot 2 1020 hi-ten for years, must have had legs like Hercules back then.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:52 pm

Pick up something like this. You may need to tip in a little extra to give it a clean-up, then whats left out of your $200 stick it aside and that kicks off the savings for the next one.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:06 am

DL_Ashe wrote:Hi there,

I haven't ridden in years, but would like to get my kids into bikes. They've both ridden Razor scooters for a few years, but bikes are something they've never even asked about... something I want to change. The boys are 7 & 9 years old, and from what I can gather from reading a few posts on here and elsewhere, buying from department stores is a massive no-no.

Money is pretty tight however, so we're looking to just buy one bike in the short-term (budget around $150-$200 max), which they can alternate as the other can have the scooter, until we can save up for a second. Byk looks to be the best one around... and given both boys are new to riding, the 450 looks to be about right? I can't see one cheaper than mid $300s at a glance though (I'm in north-western suburbs of Melbourne).

For boys in the 7-9 bracket with no riding experience, is the Byk 450 the right choice? And any Melbourne based recommendations on places to get them from? I appreciate that $200 may limit my options... and possibly even rule out the Byk entirely... but I can't stretch beyond that on the back of Xmas....

Sincerely appreciate anyone's help & feedback.
I managed to pick up an as new Byk E-4503i off Gumtree for $250, so if you keep a lookout you should be able to find something in the $200 price range. Before the E-450 I picked up an E-350 off the forums here for $80, which is what my youngest now has (though we're struggling getting him to ride it because he's stubborn). My eldest turns 8 next month and he's been on the E-450 for a year. I reckon he'll get 1 more year out of it at least, maybe two if he doesn't grow too quickly!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:51 pm

DL_Ashe wrote:to just buy one bike in the short-term (budget around $150-$200 max), which they can alternate as the other can have the scooter, until we can save up for a second. Byk looks to be the best one around... and given both boys are new to riding, the 450 looks to be about right? I can't see one cheaper than mid $300s at a glance though (I'm in north-western suburbs of Melbourne).
The going rate for really nice ByK on Gumtree seems around $200 realistically. The geared bikes, maybe $250.

I scored a single gear girls frame E-450 for $50 that had been stored outside and had some mild surface rust and knicks in the paint. The wheels, tyres, brakes and saddle are all flawless (apart from very mild surface rust as mentioned).
I've washed it, sanded off the rust, given it a lube and will give it to a friend's daughter who doesn't have a bike. Some gloss white enamel paint will fill in the dings and scratches. So cheap ones are out there.

Searching Gumtree within 100km of Melbourne shows quite a few to choose from.

Otherwise the Reid Viper bikes look okay but have they had a price jump to be $300?

Just avoid big fat tyres as they will slow down little legs a lot. And maybe 1 x 8 maximum gearing or they'll get confused by two front shifters.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!