Schwalbe One alternative

Defy The Odds

Schwalbe One alternative

Postby Defy The Odds » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:16 pm

I bought a set of Schwalbe One 25c tyres about a month or so ago based on Wiggle reviews saying they were a race tyres with good puncture protection.

In the last 2 weeks I have had 3 flats and gone through 2 tubes (rear wheel only)

I punctured again on Thursday and repaired the puncture with a patch, pumped up tyre and was fine, deflated again.

On closer inspection, the Schwalbe had cuts all over it and I am sick of repairing and replacing tubes.

Can anyone recommend a tough alternative. I am over replacing tubes and repairing them so often that I just want something solid that won't puncture as often, Happy to lose some suppleness.

It's a shame as the Schwalbe One is actually a good tyre with awesome grip and really gives you confidence but it just isn't great for the second rate roads I ride on in western/Northern Melbourne

DG1984

Re: Schwalbe One alternative

Postby DG1984 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:02 pm

I just replaced mine with Conti GP 4000 II's. I was getting rear flats too, and the reason I replaced them was on inspection after a ride LOTS of cuts, some right through to to the tube (didn't pierce, thankfully).

It seems like they deteriorated very, very rapidly. I inspected them before the ride and there were no cuts. Through Lane Cove NP too, so not like it was a gravel road or anything.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:21 pm

DG1984 wrote:I just replaced mine with Conti GP 4000 II's. I was getting rear flats too, and the reason I replaced them was on inspection after a ride LOTS of cuts, some right through to to the tube (didn't pierce, thankfully).

It seems like they deteriorated very, very rapidly. I inspected them before the ride and there were no cuts. Through Lane Cove NP too, so not like it was a gravel road or anything.
Well I feel a little better knowing it's not me doing something silly.

How are you finding the Conti's in comparison?

I'm not happy though I just bought them. Did you replace the rear only or the set?

Speaking of which, what is the go with having 2 different brands/types of wheels? Is it "un-cool" ?

LG

Postby LG » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:26 pm

Probably uncool as I have schwalbe one on the front and gatorskin on the rear of one of my bikes.
LG = Low Gear

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:30 pm

my schwalbe one tubeless didnt last long.... a couple of rides and in the bin ... punctured most rides
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:35 pm

You know what really gets to me is I purchased these based on the multitude of reviews on Wiggle claiming their puncture protection is pretty good. I honestly think they must be riding manicured roads because my experience has been horrible.

Reading some of the replies though it seems this is a common trait.

I might keep the front tyre but whack a Gatorskin on the back. Or a GP4000 ? Which would be better?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:11 pm

Roads in EUR are much better by and large. None of that crappy chipseal they insist on using here.

I found the Conti 4000s tended to cut up a bit as well, but very rarely did it ever result in a puncture.

At the moment I'm using a pair of Conti Gatorskins in 25c that were bequeathed to me by a mate who went tubeless. Not the fastest rolling, and not quite as good as the 4000s in the wet, but the damn things won't die :lol:

No punctures yet, either.

DG1984

Postby DG1984 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:34 am

Defy The Odds wrote:
DG1984 wrote:I just replaced mine with Conti GP 4000 II's. I was getting rear flats too, and the reason I replaced them was on inspection after a ride LOTS of cuts, some right through to to the tube (didn't pierce, thankfully).

Well I feel a little better knowing it's not me doing something silly.

How are you finding the Conti's in comparison?

I'm not happy though I just bought them. Did you replace the rear only or the set?

Speaking of which, what is the go with having 2 different brands/types of wheels? Is it "un-cool" ?

Finding way more grip, especially on declines (haven't done anything outrageous, but fast cornering is better - hopefully not just a placebo!).

I replaced the entire set, figured it wouldn't be long until the front did the same thing and didn't want to spend any more money on tubes.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:59 am

Defy The Odds wrote:I bought a set of Schwalbe One 25c tyres about a month or so ago based on Wiggle reviews saying they were a race tyres with good puncture protection.

In the last 2 weeks I have had 3 flats and gone through 2 tubes (rear wheel only)

I punctured again on Thursday and repaired the puncture with a patch, pumped up tyre and was fine, deflated again.

On closer inspection, the Schwalbe had cuts all over it and I am sick of repairing and replacing tubes.

Can anyone recommend a tough alternative. I am over replacing tubes and repairing them so often that I just want something solid that won't puncture as often, Happy to lose some suppleness.

It's a shame as the Schwalbe One is actually a good tyre with awesome grip and really gives you confidence but it just isn't great for the second rate roads I ride on in western/Northern Melbourne
Did you find what caused the punctures? Do you check your tyres after a ride and pick out glass/wire?

I've had the opposite of your experience with Schwalbe One 25s. Two punctures in 15,000km, both a rear and around a year ago.

The Continental GP4k provides no better puncture protection than the Schwalbe One and has weaker sidewalls.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:25 pm

I checked my tyres each time. One was a tiny shard of glass, the other I'm not suse as there wasn't anything visible but theven thread/wire was showing it had cut right through. That for me was the last straw.

As I wanted to keep the brand of tyres uniform, I just purchased a Schwalbe Durano which from all accounts is much better wearing and decent grip. Upon first feel it has a good sticky texture to it and the bonus is good wet weather capability supposedly.

Online puncture tests show good results.

Time will tell I guess...

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:36 pm

Move to where I live. [**touch wood**] I've not had a penetration puncture in over 15,000km of riding various bikes and tyres where I ride.

My point is that my experience says it's not necesarily the tyre that dictates the puncture rate (and subsequent loss of sanity when the rate gets ridiculously high) it's the amount of road litter like car crash and yobbo glass, truck tyre steel belt wire shreds, tradie's spilt nails and screws etc that dictate the puncture rate.

If your not racing and outright speed is not compulsory then try a heavier kevlar belted tyre like Vittoria Pave or Veloflex Master or other equivalents in a wider size with less pressure. I rode plenty on the Schwalbe R.1 tyres both 23mm and 25mm - the forerunners to the current Schwalbe race tyres, they are wafer thin and very much a disposable consumer item compared to a heavier rough road tyre - I count myself brilliantly fortunate not to have picked up a puncture on those tyres.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:59 pm

Defy The Odds wrote:I checked my tyres each time. One was a tiny shard of glass, the other I'm not suse as there wasn't anything visible but theven thread/wire was showing it had cut right through. That for me was the last straw.

As I wanted to keep the brand of tyres uniform, I just purchased a Schwalbe Durano which from all accounts is much better wearing and decent grip. Upon first feel it has a good sticky texture to it and the bonus is good wet weather capability supposedly.

if they are still ride-able, don't bin them yet. Sometimes you just get unlucky. Try them again after a few thousand kms on the duranos. I am fairly sure you will want to try supple tyres again sometime in the future.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Unfortunately relocation is out of the question, for now !

Where I ride, broken glass (especially) and tyre wire are very very common. Since riding I have noticed that our roads are in terrible condition and getting worse. People have no regard for the roads we all use daily.

Anyhow yes I agree that the roads are in bad shape and to blame, but I purchased the tyre because quite a few reviews said that puncture protection on the Schwalbe One is excellent, I would call them poor in that regard.

Great tyre if you ride clean roads.

Beach Road in Melbourne is good, but the suburbs are completely different.

I just fitted the Schwalbe Durano and noticed a couple of things:

1. For a dual compound tyre it actually feels very sticky. I really like this as it already feels like a tyre that can corner well

2. Was quite alot easier to get on the rim than the ONE.

Time will tell I'll be riding the same route I got my last 3 punctures so we'll see how they hold up

eeksll wrote:
Defy The Odds wrote:I checked my tyres each time. One was a tiny shard of glass, the other I'm not suse as there wasn't anything visible but theven thread/wire was showing it had cut right through. That for me was the last straw.

if they are still ride-able, don't bin them yet. Sometimes you just get unlucky. Try them again after a few thousand kms on the duranos. I am fairly sure you will want to try supple tyres again sometime in the future.
To be honest I don't want to risk using the same tyre. 3 punctures to me means the tyre is either a lemon or unlucky either way down the track I think you're right I will want supple tyres but will get them again once the durano wears out

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:30 pm

I actually went back to the Schwalbe ones for better puncture resistance after using Vittoria Corsas for commuting :lol:

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:44 pm

I moved to Michelin Pro 4 Endurance 25c from Schwalbe Ultremo recently on one of my bikes. Admittedly I have only used a set for around 1000km but they have been faultless. I had read many good things about them, plus they are available at the moment for under $40. I have used GP4K 25c in the past and they are kind of wooden feeling compared to the Michelin, possibly due to the Pro 4's running slightly wider. I have purchased 10 of them as being an older model they are bound to disappear soon enough. I had a set of Schwalbe One's but ended up selling them once I came across the Michelin's...worth a try in my books :-) I have used Schwalbe Durano on the commuter for the last few years and they have also been a great tyre.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

lone rider

Postby lone rider » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:47 pm

I thought there's different types of One's, I know Ultremo always had different versions with better puncture protection and One's were the replacement of them. Had no problems with Ultremo's with V-Guard and am finding the same with Durano's, am also a fan of the rubber compund Schwable use as opposed to some other brand ive tried.

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:55 pm

lone rider wrote:I thought there's different types of One's, I know Ultremo always had different versions with better puncture protection and One's were the replacement of them. Had no problems with Ultremo's with V-Guard and am finding the same with Durano's, am also a fan of the rubber compund Schwable use as opposed to some other brand ive tried.
A couple of interesting things I have uncovered from your post.

Firstly, it seemed odd that my rear tyre had a very discoloured/yellow "Schwalbe" writing on the sidewall which indicates that possible it was an old tyre that sat around for some time perhaps degrading the quality of the rubber?

Secondly, I went and investigated Schwalbe One's and there is in fact only one (no puneed intended) kind, however this year they have released a new model with a different tread pattern (no longer complete slick) to the previous one. I am not going to discount Schwalbe as a brand because I love the feel of their tyre.

Having a Durano on the back, I feel much more confident in not getting punctures anywhere near as much as I used to. Having said that, I'll be riding the usual route and see how I go...

I am confident I will end up on a full set of Schwalbe One's on a lighter set of wheels down the road at some point they just roll so well and grip is awesome !

beardi

Postby beardi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:36 pm

I've been on duranos for years. They offer great puncture resistance and have reasonable weight/grip. Much prefer them to gatorskins in the grip stakes. Since going tubeless i've been loving the Schwalbe S-ones - a bit big for a lot of bikes but a phenomenal all rounder in all conditions

Defy The Odds

Postby Defy The Odds » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:52 pm

Update:

Went for a ride this afternoon with the Durano on the back. I must say I am very very impressed. Grip was great along some tight turns, never felt like the back was going to give way. The tyre actually feels very supple considering it is marketed as a commuting tyre.

Tyres inflated to 105 psi each.

One thing I did notice was with just eye measurement, the Schwalbe One was actually fatter than the Durano in the same 25c. I believe this gives the One'she a little more comfort too... or could be more supple sidewalls perhaps.

Either way I am very happy with this combo of One at the front and Durano on the back...

FYI I will be upgrading later on to 2017 One's front and back on a set of carbon clincher at some point to keep for summer/clean roads but theven Durano for me is a 5 star tyre as it is !

2sharp

Postby 2sharp » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:20 pm

I flipped over to Schwalbe One's after a shocker of an experience on some Maxxis' - 4 flats in a day, and frequently on other occasions.
I'll jinx myself here but not a single one on the Ones so far ~1800km
Love them.