Pedals for mountain biking

Chickenmanic

Pedals for mountain biking

Postby Chickenmanic » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi all,
Just wonder what pedals you would suggest for a large mountain bike doing alot of trails and such.
Im so far not a fan of the idea of clip ons but thats all i got.

mikgit

Re: Pedals for mountain biking

Postby mikgit » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:42 pm

I'd say go for a pedal style called Flats, thats jsut a regular but bigger pedal, easiest to learn wih.

Probably want to google these terms:
Flat pedal
Clips and strap pedal or toe clips
Clipless pedal or SPD

Just for reference so you know what people are taking about
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Chickenmanic

Postby Chickenmanic » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:56 pm

I've heard flats are the beginners choice, I'm just curious if people have recommendations as I've seen some with studs on them and keep thinking wouldn't it ruin the shoe.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:00 pm

well there not necessarily the beginners choice, plenty of experience peopel swear by flats, im an spd guy myself.
Beginner pedal maybe DMR V8 or V12 or a wellgo copy. These all are a copy of the old Shimano DX pedal of the 80's which were great and don't remember them destroyng shoes
More experience riders would go for he bigger studded pedals and then have shoes that go well with them like 510's. (nto saying you can't as a beginner)
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:01 pm

Depends on how experienced you are. Just starting out I'd go flats with flat-pedal specific shoes (like skate shoes but iwth a tacky rubber sole) and knee-shin pads so they don't chew up your shins. It gives you the ability to put your foot down and dab when you feel you might be about to get into trouble. FOr technical trails many prefer to stay with them so they can bail more easily if they need to throw away the bike (eg, Dirt Jumping)

Once you have some experience and confidence with handling ghe bike on loose surfaces and technical trails, most end up going with clipless pedals (aka -clip-ins) unless they are playing at the really technical end of the sport such as Freeride, DJ, or Observed Trials

I much prefer clip-ins as my feet don't rattle off the pedal in the air or over rough stuff, and my foot is in the correct position every time which is better for my pedalling action and keeping my lower back pain free on big rides (eg 50-60km). The downside is you need to maintain them so that your foot doesn't get stuck at an awkward moment.

Chickenmanic

Postby Chickenmanic » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:28 pm

Thanks forthe feedback, I would say I'm used to a bike enough that I would just have to get used to riding again before I tackle the harder stuff, I haven't ridden in the last 3 years but rode plenty as a kid.
I guess I'll look at flat shoes to now, I was just thinking my runners would do the trick for now.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:56 am

runners will do the job, skate style will be better and then mtb specific shoes will be better again. Don't need to spend money if you don't want to.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:51 pm

I recently got an elcheapo 29er
I go on a group ride some Wednesdays with 15 or so riders on it.
Shimano pdm-540 or similar are in almost universal use.
I got some. They are good.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

4 1 3 0

Postby 4 1 3 0 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:33 pm

warthog1 wrote:I recently got an elcheapo 29er
I go on a group ride some Wednesdays with 15 or so riders on it.
Shimano pdm-540 or similar are in almost universal use.
I got some. They are good.
Got some of these on a road bike-Awesome.