Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

eddyready

Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Postby eddyready » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi Guys,

I checked this bike out last week at the Giant store and wanted to know what others think about this. This bike appears to be different from all the other Giant bikes with the semi-hydraulic brakes. If you are a owner of one, do you like it?

I have out grown my bike frame so looking at purchasing a comfy commute bike and the budget is < 2k. Have begun commuting 3 times a week and will be traveling from SOP to North Sydney.

Ed

Mububban

Re: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Postby Mububban » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:26 pm

This is me and mine:

I'm approaching 1000km on my SL1 and I'm still loving it. The brakes feel great, my opinion may change if they are a pain to maintain/service in future though, who knows. Can't see that semi-hydraulic system taking off unless they can dramatically reduce the size of the handlebar unit.

I've got no other bikes to compare it to but so far so good, I love it. I'm doing group rides and will do ~65km total with no problems or discomfort. I'm only in the slower groups but am keeping up with much much more expensive bikes :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Dugong

Postby Dugong » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Just put a deposit on one, upgrading from my cross city hybrid. Read good reviews about the bike.

Dugong

Postby Dugong » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:52 pm

Now done about 1000 or so kms on one, great bike.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Yeah I'm still enjoying mine :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Ant_S

Postby Ant_S » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:26 pm

Glad to hear you guys are enjoying these Contends. I've put a deposit/lay-by on a Contend SL2 Disc as a new commuter. I wasn't really looking per se but I picked up an end of year model special on 3mth lay-by. So I've got standard mechanical discs, heavier wheels & Tiagra instead of 105 haha but I guess I can upgrade if I want later on. At one of the LBS I visited they only had an M/L size which he weighed on their scales at 10.0kg so the M should be a bit less.

What height are you guys & what size did you go for?

I test rode & lay-byed the Medium on LBS recommendation, but I'm upper end of Small / lower end of Medium for Giant so I'm never sure. I could order the Small instead, but it'd be unridden & unseen..

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:31 pm

Ant_S wrote:Glad to hear you guys are enjoying these Contends. I've put a deposit/lay-by on a Contend SL2 Disc as a new commuter. I wasn't really looking per se but I picked up an end of year model special on 3mth lay-by. So I've got standard mechanical discs, heavier wheels & Tiagra instead of 105 haha but I guess I can upgrade if I want later on. At one of the LBS I visited they only had an M/L size which he weighed on their scales at 10.0kg so the M should be a bit less.

What height are you guys & what size did you go for?

I test rode & lay-byed the Medium on LBS recommendation, but I'm upper end of Small / lower end of Medium for Giant so I'm never sure. I could order the Small instead, but it'd be unridden & unseen..

I'm 6 foot 2 (about 189cm) and ride a Large.

I test rode a Tiagra 10 speed Defy and couldn't tell any difference between that and 11 speed 105.