Wheel advice for Fatty fat fats

Adrian.B

Wheel advice for Fatty fat fats

Postby Adrian.B » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi guys,

I am after advice and opinions on what is the best wheel for heavy rider.

I started out riding last march and I've dropped 18 kgs now. Now at 98kgs.

I live in the hills so a lot of my riding is quite challenging, lots of climbing ( good for loosing weight).

But I'm destroying wheels. I've have a Fondriest TF2 which is perfect for me at the moment, the fulcrum Racing 5's that came with it have been trued 3 or 4 times and the last time they noticed I had split the rim between spokes! (They had done about 3500km's). My LBS put a Campag khamsin asymmetric on the back (covered the fulcrum failure under warranty) but I've destroyed it in about 300kms! Seems like a spacer or bearing has failed!

Anyway I'm sick of it and I want to get something better.

I'm thinking either Fulcrum a Racing Zero or the Campagnolo Shamals! I know both nearly the same thing but after opinions from folks that may be slightly heavier and have used these!

Or if anyone else has another suggestion! Not keen on handbuilt as trying to keep costs around the $1500 mark.

Any advice appreciated.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Wheel advice for Fatty fat fats

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:18 pm

G'Day Adrian, welcome outside.

Grats on the weight loss but seriously mate, you're not THAT big compared to some. :wink:

But if you are trashing wheels you should be looking at something solid like THIS
Quality hubs, excellent rims and enough spokes to spread the load, once you've dropped a few more kgs then treat yourself to the fancy stuff :D

Cheers
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Adrian.B

Postby Adrian.B » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:27 pm

Thanks Shaun. I know, I see heaps bigger guys getting around so I know there's wheels out there that can take it.

Thanks for your advice, researching them now.

And yes, 88kgs is my goal weight! Once I get to there, new bike and wheels for me :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:12 pm

Adrian.B wrote:I'm thinking either Fulcrum a Racing Zero or the Campagnolo Shamals! I know both nearly the same thing but after opinions from folks that may be slightly heavier and have used these!
These are racing wheels, not training wheels. Probably a poor choice if you are heavy and already destroying wheels. Campagnolo Eurus would be a better choice - and if you break them you'll have to revisit Shaun's suggestion.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:19 am

You can get custom built wheels for under the price limit, that you have set. :wink: This bloke has been building wheels for years and has a good reputation. :idea:

http://craftworx.com.au/road-wheels-4.html

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Adrian.B

Postby Adrian.B » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks Foo,

Thanks for the link, looking into it now.

So many options. You just get to the stage where you don't want to make a wrong choice and have to get another wheel set in 6 months time.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:38 am

I'm 108 kgs, and that's after losing a few over the last 18 months - so I think that you're a lightweight : - )

I have Mavic Aksiums on my bike, and I have not had a problem with them.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:17 am

Or Prolite Garda's. Ive used these on my commuter and they have been rock solid.
Then when you get to the early to mid 80's you can look at some fancy wheels.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:55 am

foo on patrol wrote:You can get custom built wheels for under the price limit, that you have set. :wink: This bloke has been building wheels for years and has a good reputation. :idea:

http://craftworx.com.au/road-wheels-4.html

Foo
Crafty builds my touring bike wheels. His workmanship has been first-class.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:10 pm

RonK wrote:
Adrian.B wrote:I'm thinking either Fulcrum a Racing Zero or the Campagnolo Shamals! I know both nearly the same thing but after opinions from folks that may be slightly heavier and have used these!
These are racing wheels, not training wheels. Probably a poor choice if you are heavy and already destroying wheels.
Agree. Generally, more expensive wheels are lighter and more aero, but actually weaker (lighter materials, lower spoke count). Shamals have just 21 spokes on the rear - you should be looking for 28 or even 32. You will probably have more success looking at the budget robust trainer, 'winter' or touring wheelset at the moment, and delay purchasing the lighter wheelsets for the moment until you have shed a few more kegs (nice progress to date, btw).

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:20 pm

Velt

Postby Velt » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:48 pm

Zipp Course 30's I'd say. Wide, robust (they're used for gravel and cx as well) and Zipp (If that's your thing).

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Mavic Open Pro hand-built onto Shimano Ultegra or 105 hubs with 32 DT Competition spokes.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.