<$500 budget, road bike for training/commuting

Ozymandias

<$500 budget, road bike for training/commuting

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:23 am

I realise this sort of topic has probably been done to death, so forgive me for posting my mildly different version, but help would be much appreciated.

I'm keen to grab a road bike and start commuting (at the moment only 8k flat but soon to be around 13k hills) but hopefully also bigger rides as a form of cross training for my main sport of choice, running. Unfortunately, my budget of $500 or less - as I've discovered from my internet travels - is measly at best and won't really get me to the RRPs of most 'reputable' brands (so far as I can see), but I'm okay with this as long as I'm buying something that I won't immediately hate/isn't total junk. I figure when I work out if I'm gonna be really into it is when I can drop more money on a better bike.

From what I've found, these are three that seem to fit the bill: Totem Rapid, Reid Aquila, and KHS Flite 150. Thoughts?

I've also been perusing Gumtree and a few reasonable looking specimens have popped up, but sizing is a concern, and so is the quality and condition. The thing that attracts me to a new bike is the guarantee of something in good nick and often with a free service or few.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: <$500 budget, road bike for training/commuting

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:37 am

If you really know what you are looking for, gumtree can be good but you are right, a guarantee goes a long way and peace of mind to get the right size.

All of these are fairly comparable bikes - Totem is the new house brand from Cell Bikes. Reid has had a good run in the entry level segment and KHS however is a lesser known brand in Australia and tend to be stronger in off-road. The think with Bike Exchange is that they are 'kind of' a middle man - the bike shop uses Bike Exchange as a referral / shopping provider so essentially so a customer you are buying online and may not have the same benefit as buying instore - particularly in respect to warranty or getting input / responses.

If you are in Sydney or Melbourne, Cell Bikes has stores there which is a good option if you need service. Reid Cycles has stores in major cities across Australia.

My recommendation is to purchase instore - get your questions answered and when buying, get the bike fully checked (that everything is tight) and ensure that the wheels are true (straight) and the gears are shifting well - always better ensuring it is spot-on. Reid tend to do a few deals on cheap accessories as well - I suggest some lights, you will need a helmet but can start off with sneakers (clip-ins and cycling shoes are not absolutely necessary when you get started).

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:39 am

If you want something you won't hate, either spend more, buy 2nd hand (after lots of test riding/size research), or accept something pretty crude. OK, if it's just for solo training I guess you don't need top end/light weight fancy etc, just reliable. But it has to feel good and make you want to do it...

If shopping used, find a friend who knows bikes to help inspect (or post links up here and we'll give opinions)

Option B: I'm not sure how a single speed would go for running cross-training, but I can imagine it might help (works your strength up hills and your leg speed down hills...) You can get some great single speeds for $500.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks for the replies! I forgot to mention I've been into 99Bikes and they had a Pedal Pursuit (in house brand, I think) which seems of similar quality to the others I posted. I think I will definitely head into a couple of shops and try a few out, see what I like, and keep checking Gumtree every now and then.

I did want to ask though, what are you really getting with a 'better' road bike? The obvious ones to me would be less weight and a stronger frame, but beyond that, what's the reason for spending more? I guess the groupset would be better but do you get smoother or faster changes or something? Sorry for what seems like a ridiculous question, it's just that I've had a few people steer me towards spending more to start off with and being a total novice I don't really see what's wrong with the ones I've seen so far.
MattyK wrote:I'm not sure how a single speed would go for running cross-training, but I can imagine it might help (works your strength up hills and your leg speed down hills...) You can get some great single speeds for $500.
I had considered that! Only thing is I want to use it for commuting in Brisbane and I suspect I'd arrive at work dripping with sweat if I went for a single speed.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Ozymandias wrote: I did want to ask though, what are you really getting with a 'better' road bike? The obvious ones to me would be less weight and a stronger frame, but beyond that, what's the reason for spending more? I guess the groupset would be better but do you get smoother or faster changes or something? Sorry for what seems like a ridiculous question, it's just that I've had a few people steer me towards spending more to start off with and being a total novice I don't really see what's wrong with the ones I've seen so far.
It's like comparing a (for argument's sake) Hyundai to a BMW. Both will get you from A to B perfectly well, one will just be more refined/smoother/more efficient/last longer/etc. The biggest difference is still the motor though...

StevOz

Postby StevOz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:33 pm

Also a good idea to lookout for those occasional specials, just got a email today from a store I have bought some parts online from before in the past and to me bang for buck this looks a nice deal...

https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/boa-r ... ano-claris

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:35 pm

Ozymandias wrote:Thanks for the replies! I forgot to mention I've been into 99Bikes and they had a Pedal Pursuit (in house brand, I think) which seems of similar quality to the others I posted. I think I will definitely head into a couple of shops and try a few out, see what I like, and keep checking Gumtree every now and then.

I did want to ask though, what are you really getting with a 'better' road bike? The obvious ones to me would be less weight and a stronger frame, but beyond that, what's the reason for spending more? I guess the groupset would be better but do you get smoother or faster changes or something? Sorry for what seems like a ridiculous question, it's just that I've had a few people steer me towards spending more to start off with and being a total novice I don't really see what's wrong with the ones I've seen so far.
MattyK wrote:I'm not sure how a single speed would go for running cross-training, but I can imagine it might help (works your strength up hills and your leg speed down hills...) You can get some great single speeds for $500.
I had considered that! Only thing is I want to use it for commuting in Brisbane and I suspect I'd arrive at work dripping with sweat if I went for a single speed.
What do you get for your money?

Lighter. A nice benefit when climbing, and accelerates better when racing. Largely irrelevant on the flats.
Stiffer. More of the effort you are producing goes into propelling you forward instead of being wasted twisting the frame. Really only applicable at high power levels (ie. sprinting, short sharp climbs).
More gears. Gives you small gears for steep climbs, while still offering enough choices to maintain optimal cadence at a wide range of speeds. More important for longer rides.
Crisper shifting - especially under load. More important when climbing or sprinting
More sophisticated frame design reduces road vibration while maintaining stiffness. Becomes important as distance increases.

While many of these benefits are real, you really need to be racing to get the full benefits. More ambitious recreational riders (ie. alpine climbs, regular century riders will get some benefits from a higher end bike. If you are just riding 1-2 hours at a time for general fitness, then there isn't a huge benefit you gain.

The best upgrade for any bike is the tyres - when the stock tyres on your bike wear out, replace them with a really good pair (eg. Conti GP4000S). Good tyres last longer, roll faster and are lighter, and give you a much more comfortable ride than the rubbish that is typically fitted to an entry level bike. Tyres are a consumable, so you aren't throwing out a perfectly serviceable but heavy component.

hermiesan

Postby hermiesan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:28 pm

Good day mate,

I'm similar shoes and I've just had a success story with my recent purchase.

I've purchased a giant defy 1 2009 model with sora/claris running gear in very good nick from gumtree.

It only costed me $400 and it comes with a set of moon meteor lights (worth around $75) with cycling computer.

What I'm trying to say is that don't shy from buying something older but it reasonably good condition, you never know that you might find something good.

My commute is 30km one way ( all flats) or 15 km with hills.

bane

Postby bane » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:48 pm

The Aldi road bikes were pretty decent and I saw them last week at my local for $300.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:25 pm

All your replies have been really helpful, thanks all! Just wanted to get your opinions on what appears to be a pretty good buy: a Colango CX3.0 for $450. The sizing appears to be right on (56cm frame and I'm 5'10").
Thing is, they've converted it to have flat bars. I don't mind that necessarily, but I imagine I'd eventually want to switch them out. How difficult/expensive would that be?
I also imagine it would be difficult to attach a pannier if I wanted to?

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:47 pm

Here's my H.O.
You will suffer from upgraditis a few months after you start cycling.
So. Buy secondhand. You will probably sell this bike for nearly the same price you bought it and therefore have a clean slate to search upwards.
If you are mostly commuting - my opinion - get a flat bar roady. 99% of other commuters I see with drops only get to the hoods anyway.
You can get the decent drop bar roady when upgraditis sets in.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Opinions on this one? Sizing is probably correct but seems like he's asking a bit much.

Trek 1200 52cm Road Bike Commuter Touring 2001 Vintage Excellent on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/11384649 ... source=sms

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:32 pm

Ozymandias wrote:Opinions on this one? Sizing is probably correct but seems like he's asking a bit much.

Trek 1200 52cm Road Bike Commuter Touring 2001 Vintage Excellent on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/11384649 ... source=sms
They're dreaming. Real value about half what they're asking.

Ozymandias

Postby Ozymandias » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:02 pm

For anyone interested, I ended up purchasing a Reid Osprey drop bar today for just under $600 (including helmet, lock, lights, etc, etc.). Bike itself marked down from $600 to $430, and from reading others' experiences of it, it seems to be pretty solid for the money. In the end I realised I didn't know what I was looking for with used and I wanted the security of a brand new one anyway.
Keen to start riding and getting into it, thanks for everyone's help!

Garethbmw

Postby Garethbmw » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:14 pm

In same vain but second hand very difficult for small sizes Reid looking good might buy moly frame and build up