Dual Sus Mountain Bike - Polygon, Giant, Kona, Avanti etc

benderz

Dual Sus Mountain Bike - Polygon, Giant, Kona, Avanti etc

Postby benderz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:53 pm

I am a beginner mountain biker and have started looking for dual sus bikes. As I am just starting out I am hesitant to drop thousands on a bike, but also don't want it to fall apart beneath me. My knowledge is minimal so was looking for some feedback or advice on the following bikes, thanks in advance :

Polygon Siskiu D6
The cheapest, but too cheap? Thinking it will get me started but if the parts are cheap it may cost more in the long run. $1200

Polygon Siskiu D8
Looks much better than the D6, but also a lot more expensive. $2000

Giant Anthem 3
Similar price to the Polygon D8 but a known and tested brand. $2100

Avanti Torrent 7.1
No idea about this one as randomly found when looking at the Giant. $2100

Kona Precept 130
Another random bike that I found on bike exchange. $2000

silentbutdeadly

Re: Dual Sus Mountain Bike - Polygon, Giant, Kona, Avanti etc

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:48 pm

D6 is a bargain but very heavy. The D8 version has a better suspension system and is a kilo and a half lighter...and still a bargain! A mate has the D8 and it's not a bad thing at all.
Anthem is not as well equipped as the D8 and a similar weight - excellent and well tested warranty though. Torrent is a different bike to the previous three - much longer suspension travel for more vertical and challenging trails - well equipped for the price though. Precept sits firmly in the middle travel wise of all of them but has by far the most poorly specced driveline (good suspension though) for the money of all the bikes.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:22 pm

With a duallie, go for suspension platform over drive/brake components. Those parts can be upgraded rela

tively cheaply fown the track, but an inefficient suspension platform is something you're stuck with.

The Maestro system in the Anthem is widely recognised as being one of the better platforms on the market. There is an exceptionally in-depth, independent blog floating around the web that analyses just about every rear suspension platform ever made. Unfortunately I can't remember what it's called, but if you google suspension linkage design you should be able to dig it out.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

benderz

Postby benderz » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:49 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Silentbutdeadly there is also the Polygon Siskiu D7 that seems to be in the middle of those. Any thoughts on that?

Duck! I found this and this. If these aren't what you were referring to, they were interesting nonetheless. I actually thought there were only 2 rear suspension types I was looking at!

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:18 pm

Found it: http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com.au/

Its default language is Spanish, but it'll come up with a request to translate box to make reading it easier.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

benderz

Postby benderz » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Thanks Duck!, was an interesting read about Giants setup.

I also found an older Polygon Siskiu review for the 2015 model:

In this post I will analyze the Polygon Siskiu 2015, a model of "initiation" in which Polygon uses a different suspension to the other models of MTB: A monopivot with rods with 120mm travel and wheels 27.5 '' . This model is similar to the Giant Stance, or the new FX Lapierre Raid case, are designed for beginners and so you have to interpret the results from a point of view a little different than usual.

As you can see in the table excel and previous graphics system Siskiu the Polygon has a fairly low pedaling efficiency. If we see it from a "Professional" view the system is pretty bad, but a picture of this kind has to be optimized around a small dish of 3x10 so the system is not bad at all ... The Pedal- kickback as is logical remains at a minimum level, while the Brake-squat (86%) remains at a fairly high level, which in this case can be considered as an advantage.

In the graph we see how the LR is the type Progressive-Regressive (2.65-2.25-2.5) system. We are talking about a box XC-Trail with 120mm of travel that will receive a very peaceful use so that in principle the LR is impeccable: It has a fairly sensible initial stretch to roll back and a regressive final stretch that takes advantage well all the tour. As to cushion the box uses a SR Suntour LO-R 190x51mm, it is a standardized measure and has locking regulation, so in principle can give a good result.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:28 pm

benderz wrote: Silentbutdeadly there is also the Polygon Siskiu D7 that seems to be in the middle of those. Any thoughts on that?
Good middle ground. Duck is right though. Duallies are all about efficiency (especially in XC) and the Anthem's suspension platform is certainly efficient...moreso than the Siskiu. But if the trade off is $600 in your pocket then perhaps you can life with a little inefficiency?
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle