Carbon wheels under $1000?

Morose

Carbon wheels under $1000?

Postby Morose » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:28 am

Can anyone recommend a set of decent carbon wheels for under $1000? (Cheaper = better for keeping the wife happy)

I mainly do group rides 32 to 36km/hr and dont focus on hill riding.

I dont want to buy rubbish and would rather stick with the Shimano RS21 i currently have if $1000 is unrealistic.

These are to go on a 2016 Giant tcr pro 0 running 25mm gp4000 s2's.

Also im 105kg if that needs consideration.

I am happy to buy second hand too.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

MichaelB

Re: Carbon wheels under $1000?

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:53 am

Save your money and ride harder.

IMHO, they will only make you faster by making your wallet lighter.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:12 am

Wiggle had some nice Cosine carbon wheels for under a grand (45 and 55mm depth), but they seem to have pulled them from the market about a month ago. No idea why, they seemed to get good reviews. That said I think they had a 90kg weight limit...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:08 am

MichaelB wrote:Save your money and ride harder.

IMHO, they will only make you faster by making your wallet lighter.
Depends on how fast you ride.
There are fast bunches here and they most certainly do make a difference as the speed gets higher.
I've argued this numerous times on here before though and really cbfed
All I will say is I have some zipp404s that I got for a bargain price hardly used and they are by far the best thing I have bought for a bike :|

Here is an option, haven't used them;

https://www.yoeleobike.com/carbon-wheel ... ad-db.html

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels ... 069-4.html
Dogs are the best people :wink:

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:19 am

Probikekit have some good prices at the minute.
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:31 am

warthog1 wrote:
There are fast bunches here and they most certainly do make a difference as the speed gets higher.
The 1st point is true.

Haven't yet had the pleasure of trying a set of 50mm wheels, so can't provide evidence.

Still think that 90% of us don't do that sort of speed most of the time and the end result is of little benefit compared to the $$ spent.

Mind you, if you have it ($$ that is), why not !!
Last edited by MichaelB on Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trainspotter

Postby trainspotter » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:36 am

You'll find a good pair of 50mm aero rims will help with faster riding on the flat. As weight won't be an issue you could look for some with alloy braking surfaces and carbon wrap rather than a full carbon which you'll battle to find a decent set of in your price range.
Wiggle have Campag Bullet 50 carbon clinchers for under $1000.00 at the moment, otherwise there's a Shimano RS81 C50's at about the $900 mark.
Both are pretty good wheelsets at the price point. I have a pair of Bullet 50's myself and loved them (till I upgraded to Bora Ultra's :D ), and a mate has the RS81's on which he takes great pleasure in winding up the group to 50km/h plus when the mood takes him.
Other than those two online options, I doubt you'd find anything else with carbon fibre in that price range. Maybe ask your LBS if he can price match, otherwise gumtree/ebay/etc. for second hand.
I'd offer you my old Bullet 50's, but they've Campag hubs so wouldn't suit.

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:03 pm

I have some !!! Chinese Spam Brand !!! c60. I got X-ray spokes and novatech hubs, cost about 600 delivered from memory with a promotion they were running at the time. They are on an Aeroad and my other bike is a Domane with std wheels. First impressions are they about 6kmh faster. They are noticeably easier to hold at 40kmh.

Brand that warthog mentioned
Last edited by AUbicycles on Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin Says - afraid the 'word censor' has captured the Chinese brand listed above as a spammer - they were using unethical approaches to promotion (i.e. forum spam) so their name has been blocked.

Velt

Postby Velt » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:09 pm

You can get fulcrum racing quattro carbons off pro bike kit for $1054 with code COMPO10. You'll have to pay duty and gst when they are imported on top of that though.
You can get the prime rr-28 wheel set off chain reaction for $997. If you want deeper than that you'll have to go a little higher.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:11 pm

MichaelB wrote:
The 1st point is true.

Haven't yet had the pleasure of trying a set of 50mm wheels, so can't provide evidence.

Still think that 90% of us don't do that sort of speed most of the time and the end result is of little benefit compared to the $$ spent.

Mind you, if you have it, why not !!
You need to preface your comments then :|
Sure if you are riding around at 25-30 km/h they are not money well spent.
If you are trying to roll through for a turn at 40+km/h they are money well spent.
I have also done a reasonable amount of tting in the past and I can say they make a measurable difference that extends, the further the tt is.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:17 pm

warthog1 wrote: ...
I responded based on the OP's stated riding speed
Morose wrote:...
He is not riding at 40km/hr+ where I have read and many people assert that they make a difference once over that speed.

He is also not stating anything to do with TT's.

There are also overtones from the OP re 'how much can be spent', indicating that its not like there is money flowing everywhere and its a discretionary purchase.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:20 pm

MichaelB wrote:
warthog1 wrote: ...
I responded based on the OP's stated riding speed
Morose wrote:...
He is not riding at 40km/hr+ where I have read and many people assert that they make a difference once over that speed.

He is also not stating anything to do with TT's.

There are also overtones from the OP re 'how much can be spent', indicating that its not like there is money flowing everywhere and its a discretionary purchase.

Oops :oops:
Sorry Michael you are not needing to preface your comments. I am needing to read the OP :roll:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:22 pm

warthog1 wrote: Oops :oops:
Sorry Michael you are not needing to preface your comments. I am needing to read the OP :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I want deep dish wheels too, but I can't even afford to ask for permission :mrgreen:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:24 pm

I can't say I fessed up to how much they were :oops:
I asked forgiveness rather than permission too.
That was probably worse than the financial penalty. :(

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:59 pm

Most aero wheelsets tend to have a lower spoke count, and at 105 kg, that is gonna spell trouble. Many wheelsets tend to have a max rating of 90kg.

I'd save your money for now and shed a few more kgs before considering aero wheels. (Nothing personal intended - it's just the physics of wheelbuilding).

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:07 pm

madmacca wrote:I'd save your money for now and shed a few more kgs before considering aero wheels. (Nothing personal intended - it's just the physics of wheelbuilding).
Good call, wise words ...

RR
2017 Trek Emonda SL6
2016 Specialized Allez e5 Sport

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:41 pm

You may or may not know that deep wheels make almost zero difference in a bunch, but nevertheless you have a nice looking bike there, no doubt it deserves some deep carbon wheels to complete the look. Why not give yourself a little target to aim at, either in dropping a few kilos or some sort of performance target. I think if you stretched the budget to $1200 you'd have a lot more options. Its a $5000 bike?
Many years ago I gradually persuaded the wife to agree that I could upgrade my bike if I was promoted to racing A grade at our club. It took me probably a year but eventually, after winning 11 B grade scratch races I was promoted, the week before we had a holiday in the US. I came home with a Trek OCLV carbon. Mind you, on the stock wheels I managed to win a hell of a lot of races, become hill climb champ, and time trial in excess of 40kph - if only I'd had deep carbon wheels !!
You know the problem though with buying speed is that eventually you will get caught out. There comes a point where a carbon bike and carbon wheels must give way to some horsepower. I havent ridden now for many years but give me a TCR with Zipps and I could probably hang on in the club bunch ride, but if they put the smack down in a sprint or up a hill, well I'd be out the ar$e. Point being, why not look at improving the HP as an incentive to getting the wheels.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:42 pm

MichaelB wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
The 1st point is true.

Mind you, if you have it ($$ that is), why not !!
I have some, and they help at 50km/h+, but everywhere else there is no point. The rest is just down to the abilities of the rider. Less weight, more power, and handle the bike like a demon.
trainspotter wrote:which he takes great pleasure in winding up the group to 50km/h plus when the mood takes him.
Winding up the group for how long though?

I have 24mm wheels and I can get that bike moving along very quickly.

50mm wheels are great until some guy comes along on a mid range bike with normal alloy wheels and rides away from the group effortlessly. Wheels can only do so much until you need sheer brute strength in your legs, good cardio fitness and light weight.

Morose

Postby Morose » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:34 pm

Thank you all very much for your input. I have decided to indeed make it a goal to get down to 95kg and faster groups before looking into carbon wheels.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:52 pm

They make a difference in being more aerodynamic and needing less watts to hold a given speed. Yes you wont will accelerate faster but and they certainly make a difference over 40. Age and speed :lol:

Or even under according to our own Alex ;)

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/2014/ ... ts-ii.html

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/2015/ ... rt-ii.html

Death_defying

Postby Death_defying » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:30 pm

Get some dura ace c24's :)

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:53 pm

Derny Driver wrote:You may or may not know that deep wheels make almost zero difference in a bunch, but nevertheless you have a nice looking bike there, no doubt it deserves some deep carbon wheels to complete the look. Why not give yourself a little target to aim at, either in dropping a few kilos or some sort of performance target. I think if you stretched the budget to $1200 you'd have a lot more options. Its a $5000 bike?
Many years ago I gradually persuaded the wife to agree that I could upgrade my bike if I was promoted to racing A grade at our club. It took me probably a year but eventually, after winning 11 B grade scratch races I was promoted, the week before we had a holiday in the US. I came home with a Trek OCLV carbon. Mind you, on the stock wheels I managed to win a hell of a lot of races, become hill climb champ, and time trial in excess of 40kph - if only I'd had deep carbon wheels !!
You know the problem though with buying speed is that eventually you will get caught out. There comes a point where a carbon bike and carbon wheels must give way to some horsepower. I havent ridden now for many years but give me a TCR with Zipps and I could probably hang on in the club bunch ride, but if they put the smack down in a sprint or up a hill, well I'd be out the ar$e. Point being, why not look at improving the HP as an incentive to getting the wheels.
Derny - I like the way of putting new wheels as an incentive/reward.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:00 am

With your weight, I would recommend an aluminium track

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:39 am

defy1 wrote:With your weight, I would recommend an aluminium track
I agree with this one. Maybe some Dura Ace C50s or Swissside Hadrons when you get to 95kgs with the alu track.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:35 am

Morose wrote:Thank you all very much for your input. I have decided to indeed make it a goal to get down to 95kg and faster groups before looking into carbon wheels.
Good on you. Head over to the training forum and you'll find plenty of advice. Usually we just said do the kms and elevation, don't worry about speed and the rest will usually take care of itself.