Looking for a bike under $50 any recommendations?

Lockster

Looking for a bike under $50 any recommendations?

Postby Lockster » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:05 am

I'll be using this bike for riding around my suburb and also riding 5 minutes to the shops

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a bike under $50 any recommendations?

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:13 pm

For $50 you won't get a new bike. Look for second-hand and a bike that doesn't make too many wierd noises when you test ride.

Best option is a bike without gears - this means there are fewer things that can go wrong mechanically.
Cycling is in my BNA

Warin

Postby Warin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:37 pm

$50? How much is your grocery bill??

Either spend more money ...
or wait for the council clean up and get a bike from that, you will then need to replace things ..
like the chain.. probably some sprockets... and get a rear rack. And those will probably exceed $50.

koshari

Postby koshari » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:44 pm

I bought a bike recently for $20. Tires and tubes alone pushed it over 50. Mind you the wheels are a very rare size these days being 28" 1 3/8 at 45 bucks a pair.

As others have said. Kerbside or tipshop would be your options but at that pricepoint most will need some work.

Otherwise gumtree occasionally has clunkers at that pricepoint. I bloke i work with got a ready to ride very nice giant hybrid on ebay for 40 bucks a couple of weeks ago but he had to travel a bit to collect it.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:28 pm

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:08 am

Lockster wrote:I'll be using this bike for riding around my suburb and also riding 5 minutes to the shops

Hi Lockster and welcome,
Pretty tall order and no named area.

A guess I can only reply in kind..... :)
You want a fifty dollar bike and I have one for sale for $49-00 so your in luck.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:27 am

I've got one you can have for $30. Good quality Apollo mountain bike, but it does need a couple of tyres and a REALLY good service.

You should be able to find something on the electronic eucalypt for your budget, but you'll probably need to be handy with tools and spend a dollar or two extra to get is up to a reliable service level.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:22 pm

I am forever finding pretty decent bikes just left on the street or footpath. Probably one a week. Up until my dad passed away a couple of weeks ago I would throw them in the back of my van and take them to my his place. He would then pick the best frame, take wheels off one, pedals and seat off another, combine all the good bits and pieces from 4 or 5 bikes into one decent bike, and then give it to someone who needed it via his church contacts.
Keep your eye out. You can build your own. Most of the abandoned ones I found had nothing worse than a flat tyre.

adktz

Postby adktz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Where are you located? There are bike-coops in some cities which might have bikes needing some work to get going but will be in your price range. They offer tools and advice to fix them up.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:19 pm

@DD, yep, found myself a nice bike on hard rubbish a while back. Flat tyres, missing seatpost, but otherwise totally functional, tyres like new, brakes needed a quick align and balance, 3x5 gears indexed nicely and everything.

Then I cut it up and made it into a couple of truing stands, and taught myself to true the wheels (had really low spoke tension!) :D