What is the appeal/advantage of bib knicks?

Mububban

What is the appeal/advantage of bib knicks?

Postby Mububban » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:47 pm

I need new knicks and am wondering - why do people like bib knicks? Are they better or just different? What's the appeal?

I never seem to have an issue with plumber's crack when wearing normal kicks, so why are the suspenders necessary?

Thanks
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

eeksll

Re: What is the appeal/advantage of bib knicks?

Postby eeksll » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:56 pm

It keeps the shorts pulled up "tight" so that the pad does not move when you sit > stand > sit.
It also does this without having to have tight elastic around the waist.

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:00 pm

Speaking for myself ... I just bought a pair of Bib Knicks and the main reason is just the extra comfort of not having the front of your shorts working down or rolling down. I have 3 pairs of shorts and they are all pretty comfy but I wanted a pair of Bib Knicks for longer rides where everything is better held in place and keeps shape ... including the chamois.

RR
2017 Trek Emonda SL6
2016 Specialized Allez e5 Sport

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:01 pm

Recent convert to bibs. I find they keep the chamois in the correct place better.
I like them so much the old knicks will now be confined to emergency wear (slow in the washing) once I get some more.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:26 pm

I'm a convert. They are just so much more comfortable. They keep the padding where it needs to be, and they don't cut in around the waist, rolling up and letting my belly spill out the front. (Note: if you're not fat, then this may not apply to you.)

I still have some short knicks, and one pair of baggies, but they're just for commuting and light duties now.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:52 pm

Converted to bib knicks after a long January ride and getting a 1 inch wide sunburn strip across my lower back (several inches north of plumber crack territory, but I still don't like getting burned).

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:08 am

Thanks everyone. I might give them a go.

Anyone else in the "tall and thin" category who can suggest sizing?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:06 am

Depends what brand gear you're looking at...... "Consistency of sizing" is an oxymoron as far as clothing manufacturers go.

As per the above though, comfort around the waistband may vary depending on how much belly you carry - I don't have one, so cutting in isn't really an issue for me, but others may vary. Pulling the leg grippers up an inch or so to relieve the stretch, whether bibs or normals, reduces the downward pressure & helps keep the chamois where it needs to be. The downside of bibs is that they're rather inconvenient when nature calls, because you have to just about completely undress.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:16 am

madmacca wrote:Converted to bib knicks after a long January ride and getting a 1 inch wide sunburn strip across my lower back (several inches north of plumber crack territory, but I still don't like getting burned).
That suggests your jersey is too short.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

thatmdee

Postby thatmdee » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:10 am

I've just gone to bib shorts in the last couple of weeks, however a different brand so my comparison may be a bit apples/oranges.

I've been using the Netti pro nix from Rebel.. I found the waistband cut in a bit, and I kept having to adjust the fabric and chamois. In particular, the fabric would bunch up and the fit wasn't great. I've just changed over to some cheap dhb classic bib shorts, and even though they're only cheap, the difference is huge. They hold everything in place well, the chamois doesn't move, and no more waistband to worry about.

The Netti pro nix were $60, the dhb classic bib shorts were $74.95 .. To me now, it's an absolute no brainer and I'll be buying a couple of more pairs of the bib shorts for an extra $14.95 instead of the nix..

Not sure how often people are washing their cycling kit, but I don't want to waste water.. I figure say 4 pairs of the classic bib shorts should be enough, and I may look at 1 - 2 pairs of higher end bib shorts for when I start with longer rides.

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Meh, I've tried bibs and shorts, I prefer shorts

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:58 pm

I went to bibs a few years ago. The chamois stays in place, no bunching in awkwards spots, and much reduced chafing.

For mountain bikers, much less chance of catching it on the saddle at an awkward moment if you run a high saddle on your XC bike as most do. For general trali riding I use them under my chamois-less NZO trail shorts.

Downside is you need to lose the jersey if you need to stop somewhere for Number 2, or if you are female (although I've heard of devices available that eliminate this issue so you can be 'one of the boys' if you don't mind carrying one in a jersey pocket. They get good reviews too :shock: ).

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:04 pm

Duck! wrote:
madmacca wrote:Converted to bib knicks after a long January ride and getting a 1 inch wide sunburn strip across my lower back (several inches north of plumber crack territory, but I still don't like getting burned).
That suggests your jersey is too short.
Possibly it was, but I have very fair skin (at the peak of summer, I can burn in as little as 10 minutes), and bib knicks gives me peace of mind.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:17 pm

of course it depends on fit, there is a higher chance bib shorts will fit than just shorts. I just got some bib shorts with company logos and the pad moves around.

But if you have shorts that work for you then I am not sure going bib's are going to do anything for you.

I dont have any issues stretching my bib shorts down to take a No 1. But for No 2's ... as already stated above.
thatmdee wrote:... I've just changed over to some cheap dhb classic bib shorts, and even though they're only cheap, the difference is huge. They hold everything in place well, the chamois doesn't move, and no more waistband to worry about.
work colleague got some dhb shorts and he said they fell apart real quick. 20 odd rides, so maybe give them a bit more of a working over before diving all in. PLus they will probably go on special ... :mrgreen:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:05 am

I find bib knicks more comfortable because you don't have a thinner style elastic around the waist, instead the straps, braces are boarder and you get a more relaxed overall fit which equals comfort, particularly for long distances.

The higher sides and backs (and even front) of bibknicks also gives a little more material when the temperature is cool - think kidney protection for motorcyclists.

Moving chamois was never really an issue for me.

I would always buy bib knicks over knicks, the only thing to remember is base layer then bib knicks then jersey. I always wear a base layer (thick / warm in winter and light in summer).
Cycling is in my BNA

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:15 pm

For a bigger guy, bibs are heaps better than knicks/shorts.
As mentioned above, the elastic in the shorts cuts into your gut, and thats just uncomfortable. Bibs give your belly some freedom, and they hold your chamois in place.
It felt odd at the beginning, but now I'm accustomed to this lycra thing.

If you can, wait for the better brands to go on sale and try them. I got a pair of Rapha bibs on sale for $90 (sure they are discontinued Team Sky, but they were cheap). Presumably they'll stop sponsoring Wiggo's team or Canyon later this year. I also snaffled a pair of Cuore bibs for $65 on sale, they are amazing value at that price (there was only 1 left). I wouldn't touch the entry level models from Netti or Craft again (I haven't tried their better models, but the entry level are not good for me)
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:31 pm

Yep, keeping the chamois where it is supposed to be is the main reason, which includes not having the crotch slip downwards and catch on the front of the saddle when going stand to sit.

A little history.
Preceding bibs, cyclists wore heavier woolen knicks that would get even heavier when it rained, making them harder to keep up with a drawstring. So they started attaching braces to hold them up.
When lycra came out, the concept endured.
Further, original lycra wasn't the same quality as today's.

Personally, I don't have an issue with quality shorts slipping these days, and they are a lot easier to toilet with...and that's important on all day rides.

hooman

Postby hooman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:15 am

Went out this morning. Guy in front of me wearing shorts...slowly dropping...exposing a hairy Plumber's crack!

Sorry, it was a disgraceful sight.

Please consider others, wear bibs!

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:45 pm

hooman wrote:Went out this morning. Guy in front of me wearing shorts...slowly dropping...exposing a hairy Plumber's crack!

My experience yesterday too. Bibs all the way!
Bikes Bikes Bikes

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:22 pm

hooman wrote:Went out this morning. Guy in front of me wearing shorts...slowly dropping...exposing a hairy Plumber's crack!

Take care, though. Some bibs have a mesh panel above the waist line that can sit too low on the rear and show too much.

Greedy

Postby Greedy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Converted to bib knicks a few months back. Snowy's had Santini brand with Snowy's branding going out for $20. Good, comfortable and cheap. Win!
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:22 am

i often swop between knicks and bibs. in fact, i've used knicks for most of my long rides (6hrs or above).

i'm struggling with my commuting bibs' chamois now (an entry level CRAFT and a no-name brand). i believe this is due to regular wear & tear after 18months of weekly-use - i.e. padding broken down and now very soft, lycra stretched quite a bit more.

[personal experience:- i love my castelli evoluzione knick so much that i decided to spend a bit more to try their aero bib which cost almost twice the price. they're both the same size, L. however, i find the bib to be uncomfortable. the suspenders pull up really tight around the groin area. quite disappointing. i'm hoping they'll stretch a bit more with time.]

my $0.02- the *fit* is more important to me than whether it is a bib or a knick.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:52 am

caneye wrote:[personal experience:- i love my castelli evoluzione knick so much that i decided to spend a bit more to try their aero bib which cost almost twice the price. they're both the same size, L. however, i find the bib to be uncomfortable. the suspenders pull up really tight around the groin area. quite disappointing. i'm hoping they'll stretch a bit more with time.]
Could you cut the suspender straps and stitch in an extra inch or two of elastic or recycled lycra?

rapunzel

Postby rapunzel » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:24 pm

For females, bibs are annoying for toileting - getting undressed when you have to go is a draaaaaaag. And when you find yourself part of the way up Hotham searching for a little shelter to hide your bare bottom... well, even less appealing! I know some brands make them with a release to pull down without taking off the suspenders - but given that I have no gut for a waistband to cut into, women's waistbands tend to be wide and flat anyway, and I don't seem to find them uncomfortable or shifty like others here.... shortsshortsshorts. I own some bibs, but do not go out of my way to get them.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:50 pm

Mububban wrote:I need new knicks and am wondering - why do people like bib knicks? Are they better or just different? What's the appeal?

I never seem to have an issue with plumber's crack when wearing normal kicks, so why are the suspenders necessary?

Thanks
They are just more comfortable without the waistband and they don't move about. As far as fit goes (someone else asked), it varies between the different brands and even the different lines from each brand.

In Cuore, I can say that the Silver line kit is a bit more of a relaxed fit than the Gold line. So in silver line I can wear XS or S size, while in the gold line small fits comfortably. It depends on your build what you go for I guess. I've seen fairly solid guys wearing the Castelli Body paint speedsuit in racing which is very tight fitting and shaped to fit properly only in the tucked down position on the bike.