Road bike...or maybe a cyclocross?

Rock84

Road bike...or maybe a cyclocross?

Postby Rock84 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:46 pm

I'm in the market for a cheap commuter to get me around the suburbs (uni, shops, gym etc). I was thinking just an entry level 'mountain bike', however, although I'm a staunch XC mountainbiker, there is some part of me that wants to give road riding a crack, so now I'm thinking a cheap roady would be nice...I do however enjoy a nice ride through the gravel walking trails, would a roady be appropriate/capable of this? If not, would a cheap cyclocross be better?

I've been eying off these things, (http://www.samsoncycles.com.au/road-bik ... Road-Bikes) but don't know if they are a tad too cheap.

Thoughts, ideas opinions, options?

Duck!
Expert

Re: Road bike...or maybe a cyclocross?

Postby Duck! » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:33 am

Roadies are more capable than people give them credit for, so if you're thinking mainly road riding with less frequent excursion to the gravel, don't rule one out.

As far as the bike linked above, despite their claim of "superlight" aluminium frame, it's highly unlikely to even be considered light, let alone "super light". It's probably fairly robust though. The running gear is very low-end though; mostly steel & plastic (of which the plastic bits will tend to perish with UV exposure, become brittle and break), with fairly loose manufacturing tolerances, so function isn't exactly slick.

Short version: keep looking, you can find better.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:28 pm

With Duck on this one. Road bike are capable on handling gravel, what did they race the Strade Bianche on? Race bikes with 26 to 28mm tyres.

I have both CX and road bikes, I would not take the CX bike just for a few ks of flat gravel walking path, when a regular road bike with 25mm tyres will cope with it. A little more challenging terrain (loose gravel, sand or ruts) is required for me to take the CX bike.

If you want a cheap road bike, best look at this thread http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=90772

Rock84

Postby Rock84 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:04 pm

Thanks guys :)