What Computer for Old Newbie?

fryjohne

What Computer for Old Newbie?

Postby fryjohne » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:58 am

As a late starter to road cycling (I am 60 and started riding 2 years ago) I have had to quickly learn not only a range of new bike riding skills but also update my knowledge on what makes a good bike setup - group sets hierarchy, bike brands, tyres, rider comfort, rider position, etc etc. It can be a mine field out there!

I have found that has been easy compared to my latest study - what bike computer do I need.

Many computers have a whole drop sheet of features so i have tried to narrow my search by what I think I need. Obviously I would need a speedo, average speed, distance travelled etc (pretty much the features they all have). I then thought I would like cadence as I know I should change gears more than I do at present and that may prompt me to do so. Turn by turn navigation would be good - but on new units is outside my price range. So I started looking at second hand. The computer needs to be very easy to set up, ideally with a web site that would allow me to record my rides so i could a yearly total of distances covered.

I have been told a Garmin 800 would be ideal as they are readily available second hand have plenty of support and tutorials available and are a reliable, dependable unit.

Is this a good recommendation and are there others that I should consider? All help greatly appreciated!

ironhanglider

Re: What Computer for Old Newbie?

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:06 am

A mobile phone with an app like Strava in the back pocket.

Nothing on the bike.

Riding into stationary objects whilst fiddling with your computer is no fun. Look at your stats afterwards if you want to.

Cheers,

Cameron

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:17 am

fryjohne wrote:I have been told a Garmin 800 would be ideal as they are readily available second hand have plenty of support and tutorials available and are a reliable, dependable unit.
They are good, I have mine still running from when I started riding many years ago. The turn by turn navigation is handy sometimes, though I've been led astray by it on one occasion when it got confused.
ironhanglider wrote: Nothing on the bike.

Riding into stationary objects whilst fiddling with your computer is no fun. Look at your stats afterwards if you want to.
I take it from that comment that you've ridden into something while fiddling with your Garmin? How would you go taking a drink while riding, or taking off/putting on a gillet? Garmin is about the easiest thing, you just press the start button and don't need to do anything more until the ride is finished. And phones do not tend to be very suitable, they have unreliable battery power and some of them (both Samsung and Apple) have a tendency to explode...

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:38 am

It's pretty hard to beat a Cyclo 500 new for $114 delivered.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/162416657068 ... EBIDX%3AIT

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:41 am

I'm an old fart too. I have a Garmin 810. Love it - so easy to use. And it just works.

Buttons and screen work well with full-finger glove. Turn-by-turn navigation is excellent, and I love the multiple bike profiles.

I have 4 bikes with a variety of electrickery on them, two with power meters. The different bike profiles remember the hardware setup on each so you don't need to fiddle with waiting for it to detect and pair with them each time you start your ride. Just select the bike (eg, CAAD9, Scalpel, Trigger) and activity type (Training, Racing, Aerobic) and you're good. Bikes and activity types are fully configurable and you can set your own names for each.

The fiddling time is spent *before* the ride configuring what you want shown on the screen for each bike, Once that's done, it's not a problem. Changing between each screen is a simple thumb swipe. I googled some suggestions for screen configs and have only made minor adjustments since to move some fields so they are in the same screen position for each bike profile. Generally it's a once-off time investment.

Three of those bikes are mountain bikes. If ever you are going to hit something it would be on narrow twisty rock- and root-strewn single track. Unlike the other hardware on my bars (bell, brakes, shifters, seatpost remote and suspension remote) my Garmin has never caused me to run into a stationary object through distraction. :D

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:32 pm

Why not just a bike computer? I have a Cateye digital wireless, very reliable and has all the info you mentioned.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:18 am

fryjohne wrote:Obviously I would need a speedo, average speed, distance travelled etc (pretty much the features they all have). I then thought I would like cadence as I know I should change gears more than I do at present and that may prompt me to do so. Turn by turn navigation would be good - but on new units is outside my price range. So I started looking at second hand. The computer needs to be very easy to set up, ideally with a web site that would allow me to record my rides so i could a yearly total of distances covered.
You need a Wahoo Elemnt.

I got mine from Bike24. Currently $380 for the base unit or $475 bundled with HR/Speed/Cadence including shipping, at the current exchange rate.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

fryjohne

Postby fryjohne » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:50 pm

Thank you to all who have offered suggestions and advice.
Will investigate all your suggestions and it seems there are many models and brands that would suit me.
A little more research and then I had better stop talking about it and go and buy one!
Thanks again for your input.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:04 pm

for more research, take a look at:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:15 pm

As the owner of many and repairer of even more Garmins, I am biased.

Depends on your riding. I like the huge screen of the "superseded any day now" Garmin Edge 1000. It makes a difference for me on trails. I never need the navigation in town though.

I still have two Edge 705 units, one held together with rubber bands that work a treat. Screen visibility is good (though colour is rubbish) and a touch screen is over-rated if you really are riding.

And as for device convergence, I prefer my phone in my jersey pocket inside a waterproof padded pouch. Safe. :D
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:41 pm

+1 for smartphone.
I have both an iphone and android phones.
I bought and sold a Magellan Cyclo 505, and then bought and sold a Garmin 520.

I used the money to pay for a quadlock mount and Strava for my iphone.
(The universal mount is rubbish and doesnt stick properly to some phones).

The free Strava is fine, but I like it enough to buy a subscription. You don't need to look at the bike computer whilst you're riding - wait until you take a proper break. If you're lost, you can stop and use google maps. Lots of other riders in my group have the bike computers and yet they still follow the ride leader's directions :p
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc