Choosing first (real) bike

ntt

Choosing first (real) bike

Postby ntt » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:10 pm

I'm looking to get a bike for some light usage. Mostly for things like getting groceries, recreational rides (bike paths) and possibly commuting (no more than 40km per week).

I currently have an old mountain bike (Trek 3700) which is at least 8 years old, and cost around $400 when it was purchased. However, I didn't do a very good job of looking after it and it has a few issues - the chain slips often when shifting gears, and the front brakes aren't currently functional.

One option I have is trying to get this bike fixed up, and possibly changing the wheels so it is more suitable for the roads. But I'm not sure if it is worth the cost of fixing up the bike (don't know exactly how much it would cost).

Another option could be purchasing a hybrid bike. However, I don't want to spend too much money on the bike, because I'm not that confident about riding on the roads, so there is a chance the bike may not be used as regularly as I'd like ... If I really get into cycling I'd be happy to upgrade the bike in a couple of years time.

What do you guys think is the best option? Fixing up the mountain bike, getting a 2nd hand bike, or splurging on a new one?

Ross

Re: Choosing first (real) bike

Postby Ross » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:55 pm

Fix up existing bike. You will most likely mistreat an upgrade bike as well so you would be just throwing money away buying another one. Probably cost you $2-300 if you take it to a bike shop to get fixed. You probably need new chain and cassette and maybe chainrings/crankset plus f & r brake pads and maybe brake and possibly gear cables.

Buy some slick tyres for your MTB, it will be much better to ride on sealed paths and roads. No point in buying a second wheelset unless you plan on riding off-road regularly, say on weekends and commute on sealed paths and roads to work during the week.

CKinnard

Re: Choosing first (real) bike

Postby CKinnard » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:02 pm

You might get away with a $30 chain and two new tires $50, new brake pads $10.

Give it a good clean before you try to re-tune the gears... and check the wheel hub bearings and crank/bb bearings. If you didn't use it more than 200 hours, and you kept it stored indoors, then the headset, hubs, bottom bracket, derailleurs, cables may not need servicing.

Until you know you are going to enjoy riding, spend as little as possible. And until you are familiar with where you are going to ride it, you want to reduce the pain of having it stolen. (talking from experience)

The other option is if you look around for an enthusiast who does up old bikes, he might give you $100-150 for yours and sell you a restored one for $250-$300.

Also, some of the thrift shops sell used bikes in variable condition similar to the Trek for under $100.