Trek Emonda S5 vs Spesh Tarmac SL4 Sport?

Rural Rider

Trek Emonda S5 vs Spesh Tarmac SL4 Sport?

Postby Rural Rider » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:22 am

Cheers folks,

I'm hoping there are some riders who are either owners of and or who are familiar with the above Bikes. I will be buying my 2nd Roadie in a month or so and already had my mind set on a Spesh Tarmac SL4 Sport as my first Carbon ride as I already own a Spesh Allez and really enjoy the frame geometry which is based on the Tarmac. However ... my local LBS is a Trek dealer and I was in again today buying a few bits and bobs and noticed how lovely the Emonda bikes are. Got home and checked some specs and here's essentially the skinny on the two bikes side by side ...

SPESH - TARMAC SL4 vs TREK EMONDA S5 -

FRAME ...
TARMAC - FACT 9r carbon, threaded BB, full internal cable routing, internally integrated seat clamp, 130mm rear spacing
EMONDA - Ultralight 300 Series OCLV Carbon, ride-tuned performance tube optimization, E2 tapered head tube, BB86.5, DuoTrap compatible

FORK ...
TARMAC - S-Works FACT carbon, full monocoque, size-specific taper
EMONDA - Émonda carbon, E2 tapered steerer

WHEELS ...
TARMAC - Axis Elite, QR (House Brand)
EMONDA - Alloy hubs; Bontrager Tubeless Ready rims

TYRES ...
TARMAC - Specialized Espoir Elite, 700x23mm, 60TPI
EMONDA - Bontrager R1 Hard-Case Lite, 700x25c

CRANKSET ...
TARMAC - Praxis Alba 50/34T
EMONDA - Shimano 105, 50/34 (compact)

GROUPSET ...
TARMAC - 11 Speed Shimano 105 group with 11/28 Cassette - except for Brakes.
EMONDA - 11 Speed Shimano 105 group with 11/28 Cassette and 105 Brakes.

BRAKES ...
TARMAC - Shimano Tiagra
EMONDA - Shimano 105

STEM ...
TARMAC - Specialized, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 7-degree rise
EMONDA - Bontrager Elite, 31.8mm, 7 degree, w/computer and light mounts

SEATPOST ...
TARMAC - Specialized Comp carbon, single bolt
EMONDA - Bontrager alloy, 2-bolt head, 27.2mm, 8mm offset

WEIGHT
TARMAC - 52cm 8.28kg
EMONDA - 56cm - 8.87 kg / 19.55 lbs

There are a few pro's and cons going on above - I like the fact that the Emonda sports a complete Shimano 105 Group right through to the Brakes, which is a possible plus over the Tiagra of the Tarmac. On the other end of the scale, the Tarmac retains a Carbon Seatpost while the Emonda has Alloy. I like the fact that the Emonda comes Tubeless ready with 25C Tyres, this beats out the Espoir 23C's of the Tarmac and I believe that the Tarmac wheels will be sluggish by comparison and will need replacing anyway. I have no experience with the Bontrager Wheelset but in this head to head on reputation alone, I'd suspect the Bontrager Wheelset is superior. The Emonda maintains the Shimano crankset as well while the Tarmac has the Praxis Alba. The Emonda has a nice ready to go Stem system w/computer and light mounts.

My gut tells me that head to head, the Emonda might slightly edge out the Tarmac - it is damn close though ... the Tarmac has the Carbon seatpost going for it, but the complete Shimano Group of the Emonda is pretty tough to beat. Another major factor here is colour selection for both bikes. I'm not sold on the Tarmac GLOSS MOTO ORANGE/BRIGHT YELLOW with the only alternate being blanket White. On the other hand, the Emonda has the Trek Black/Viper Red - which I love and would absolutely purchase. I have zero experience of TREK bikes but I'm leaning towards Emonda right now ... What say you all?

Cheers, RR.
2017 Trek Emonda SL6
2016 Specialized Allez e5 Sport

Mububban

Re: Trek Emonda S5 vs Spesh Tarmac SL4 Sport?

Postby Mububban » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:46 am

I thought the Emonda was supposed to be Trek's light weight offering? Almost 9kg is about 1.5kg heavier than I would have thought?!

That Spesh orange is a bit muted for my tastes. The bright yellow/green is much better :D

From what I've read (and one test ride) Tiagra's come a long way to closing the gap to 105.

For my next bike I'll be focusing on wheels as part of my overall budget, whether that's good stock wheels, or buying a cheaper bike and using the balance to upgrade the wheels immediately.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:51 am

Doing a little more reading it appears that the Emonda is classed as a more upright ride and an Endurance bike - apparently quite stiff and short wheel base - the Tarmac by contrast is supposed to be a more all purpose ride, smoother and a commute on Monday and Race on Saturday ride - I can pretty much confirm the feel of the Tarmac based on having essentially the same Bike in the Allez. I suppose I need to go test ride the Emonda and see if I like the feel or not.

RR
Last edited by Rural Rider on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Trek Emonda SL6

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:28 pm

I'd be looking at geometry for the 2 bikes and compare with what you've got now. Particularly the stack and reach values... the weights are for different size frames, which can make a difference, so go into the shops and ask them to put the models on their scales for the same size (quoted weights are often dodgy so nothing like seeing it yourself). The Trek wheels are not particularly light but they are a decent width (17 or 18mm internal width from memory) so keep that in mind, as that combined with 25mm tyres can make a difference in ride quality.

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:10 pm

As I said above, I already know the Geo of the Tarmac as it is exactly the same as my Allez e5 frame basically - the unknown here is the TREK frame Geo. I'll definitely have to go and sit on the Emonda.

RR
2017 Trek Emonda SL6

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:09 pm

Mububban wrote:I thought the Emonda was supposed to be Trek's light weight offering? Almost 9kg is about 1.5kg heavier than I would have thought?!

That Spesh orange is a bit muted for my tastes. The bright yellow/green is much better :D

From what I've read (and one test ride) Tiagra's come a long way to closing the gap to 105.

For my next bike I'll be focusing on wheels as part of my overall budget, whether that's good stock wheels, or buying a cheaper bike and using the balance to upgrade the wheels immediately.
Emonda is the light weight:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... p?t=130299

That one is 52cm 6.3kg, only 200g lighter than my old 54cm 2013 model Giant TCR Advanced SL3. ;) I know they do go down to sub 5kg, depending on the version you get. In any case, I see a lot of Madone 9 series, but not the Emonda. That makes me wonder a bit.
Rural Rider wrote:I will be buying my 2nd Roadie in a month
Do you really need the second one right away? Might be better off waiting until Tour de France time comes around, the sales are usually on then and you might score a much better bike for a good price. Eg, Ultegra Di2 spec.
Last edited by g-boaf on Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:43 pm

Rural Rider wrote:Doing a little more reading it appears that the Emonda is classed as a more upright ride and an Endurance bike - apparently quite stiff and short wheel base - the Tarmac by contrast is supposed to be a more all purpose ride
That seems all backwards to me. Stiff and short wheel base goes with a more aggressive race position, not an upright endurance position.

Do you actually want a race bike? Else look at Roubaix / Domane / Defy.

Sd

Postby Sd » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:26 pm

Are we comparing apples with apples here?

I thought Emonda was their aero bike similar to the Venge, Propel etc

The Tarmac would be compared to the madone, TCR

And when we talk relaxed we'd be talking Roubaix, Domane, Defy

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:27 pm

hamishm wrote:That seems all backwards to me. Stiff and short wheel base goes with a more aggressive race position, not an upright endurance position.

Those comments were direct quotes from the article I scanned that reviewed the Emonda ... so yes, I would have thought the same thing, but since they are stating the Bike has a more upright Geometry then it makes more sense. I'm looking for a Bike that rides well and feels right under me for general purpose riding actually ... I know the Tarmac is a do all Bike because I have the same Frame in the Allez - the unknown for me is the Emonda Geometry which I have not tried yet ... I can only go from what articles and the discriptions of others have said ... was hoping someone here might own one as well?

RR
2017 Trek Emonda SL6

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Sd wrote:Are we comparing apples with apples here?

I thought Emonda was their aero bike similar to the Venge, Propel etc

The Tarmac would be compared to the madone, TCR

And when we talk relaxed we'd be talking Roubaix, Domane, Defy

I wasn't comparing apples to apples ... they appear to be different beasts based on the descriptions of the Geometry I had read in the few reviews I can find. What they are is more in the same price range ... I am comparing components and the fact that they are both Carbon bikes. I'm not fussed that the TREK might be different Geometry - if I ride it and it feels great, then I'll buy it. I might like the fact that the Geo is different to the Allez which is the same as the Tarmac ... I might want two Bikes with different ride geometry to give me different options for riding. That's really the point here ... I am welcoming opinions from people who may be familiar with either or both bikes.

RR
2017 Trek Emonda SL6

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:37 pm

One other thing about Trek, the fit is determined by if you go for a H1 or a H2. The H2 should be more relaxed. The H1 would be more aggressive.

The Trek Project One system does allow you to specify what you want for certain bikes. But annoyingly, customisation such as stem length and angle is absent from this system. You can choose the colour of the stem you want, but not the length and angle. So if you want 130mm stem, forget it. Never mind oddities like 160mm that I've heard of in very limited production.

Emonda:
http://projectone.trekbikes.com/us/en/#model/emondaslr6
http://projectone.trekbikes.com/us/en/#model/emondaslr9

Madone:
http://projectone.trekbikes.com/us/en/#model/madone92
http://projectone.trekbikes.com/us/en/#model/madone95
http://projectone.trekbikes.com/us/en/#model/madone99
Last edited by g-boaf on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:46 pm

g-boaf wrote:One other thing about Trek, the fit is determined by if you go for a H1 or a H2. The H2 should be more relaxed. The H1 would be more aggressive.
There you go ... I think the S5 Is an H2 fit? I need to recheck that!

RR
2017 Trek Emonda SL6

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:05 pm

Rural Rider wrote:
g-boaf wrote:One other thing about Trek, the fit is determined by if you go for a H1 or a H2. The H2 should be more relaxed. The H1 would be more aggressive.
There you go ... I think the S5 Is an H2 fit? I need to recheck that!

RR
Have a look at the configuration links I put above. Closest I can find is the SLR6, which comes as either H1 OR H2 fit.

Edit: No, you are right, only H2 fit.

MacMan

Postby MacMan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:24 pm

Watching with interest. The SL4 is currently my preferred option based on the threaded BB. I keep looking at all the stuff about endurance bikes, then realise that my old hardtail MTBs have the seat miles above the bars. They're far from relaxed riding positions and I just lowered the front end of the bike I have road slicks on.

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:24 am

g-boaf wrote:Do you really need the second one right away? Might be better off waiting until Tour de France time comes around, the sales are usually on then and you might score a much better bike for a good price. Eg, Ultegra Di2 spec.
Just caught this!

No mate, no real hurry and I want to buy at a SALE price anyway - there are a few about right now but I'd be just as happy waiting until TDF time and that will give me more time to go try the Emonda - I'm probably starting to swing back towards the TARMAC in truth - I really like the Geometry of these bikes but there might be something different in the Trek that stands out -

RR
2017 Trek Emonda SL6

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:24 am

Well this is interesting ... from the TREK website ... the Emonda ALR 5 (Aluminium frame) with 105 Group weighs 8.41kg's in the 56cm while the Emonda S5 (Carbon) weighs 8.87kg's in 56cm which is the size I would be looking to buy. The ALR-5 is cheaper than the S5 by a few hundred dollars ... I actually like my e5 Aluminium Allez and would be sorely tempted to just getting the ALR-5 if it's going to be cheaper for the same Group and frame geo!

RR.
2017 Trek Emonda SL6

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:08 am

Rural Rider wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Do you really need the second one right away? Might be better off waiting until Tour de France time comes around, the sales are usually on then and you might score a much better bike for a good price. Eg, Ultegra Di2 spec.
Just caught this!

No mate, no real hurry and I want to buy at a SALE price anyway - there are a few about right now but I'd be just as happy waiting until TDF time and that will give me more time to go try the Emonda - I'm probably starting to swing back towards the TARMAC in truth - I really like the Geometry of these bikes but there might be something different in the Trek that stands out -

RR
My local Specialized shop has 20% off all bikes at the moment...maybe other Specialized shops do too?

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:39 pm

Rural Rider wrote:
hamishm wrote:That seems all backwards to me. Stiff and short wheel base goes with a more aggressive race position, not an upright endurance position.

Those comments were direct quotes from the article I scanned that reviewed the Emonda ... so yes, I would have thought the same thing, but since they are stating the Bike has a more upright Geometry then it makes more sense.
I think you need to find a better article, because upright goes with a relaxed fit and a longer wheel base, not stiffer and a short wheel base.

I would say you need to work out what geometry you want (aggressive race, more relaxed, or endurance) and then find a bike to match. Don't worry about what wheels come with it or what tyres it has (they'll likely be rubbish either way), or what the BB is just yet.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:56 pm

I have a pretty aggressive Giant (race geometry if you want to call it that), and you can set that one up to be upright if you want, it's all the time when you are buying it, or building the bike. Obviously you'll be limited by what the shop has in store. I'm sure some of them will customise it, but I'm sure some other shops will want to sell the bike as is with the minimum changes for fit.

The stem on mine is very low, the steerer tube was cut that way, so it's not possible to change it, but you could just have a big spacer stack there if you don't want to cut the steerer tube very low. That gets you more upright. And then you can use stems which are angled up, rather than down.

But once you get into cutting things (eg, integrated seat posts, steerer tubes), then you are locking down the setup of the bike.

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:40 pm

hamishm wrote:I think you need to find a better article, because upright goes with a relaxed fit and a longer wheel base, not stiffer and a short wheel base.
Here's the article, you can see what they say about the frame and geo for yourself ... http://www.cyclist.co.uk/trek/emonda/61 ... -s5-review
I would say you need to work out what geometry you want (aggressive race, more relaxed, or endurance) and then find a bike to match. Don't worry about what wheels come with it or what tyres it has (they'll likely be rubbish either way), or what the BB is just yet.
I'm looking for a Bike that has a bit of a do it all Frame Geo ... Endurance/Race ... and this is pretty much how they describe the Emonda. A Bike that I can take on Bike Packing trips and something that is equally well suited to putting down some speed when required also.

RR
2017 Trek Emonda SL6

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:52 pm

Rural Rider wrote:
hamishm wrote:I think you need to find a better article, because upright goes with a relaxed fit and a longer wheel base, not stiffer and a short wheel base.
Here's the article, you can see what they say about the frame and geo for yourself ... http://www.cyclist.co.uk/trek/emonda/61 ... -s5-review
I'm looking for a Bike that has a bit of a do it all Frame Geo ... Endurance/Race ... and this is pretty much how they describe the Emonda. A Bike that I can take on Bike Packing trips and something that is equally well suited to putting down some speed when required also.

RR
Bikepacking does not look like Emonda. Perhaps what you want is a mtb or a touring bike. The two extremes seem too far apart.

I can't see the Emonda being any good for off road riding. And nor would you be strapping bottle cages to the front fork with electrical tape, etc. Nor strapping big bags to the Emonda's handlebars, or to its frame.
Last edited by g-boaf on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:56 pm

g-boaf wrote:Bikepacking does not look like Emonda. Perhaps what you want is a mtb or a touring bike.

Seen a few people talking about using the Emonda ALR 5 for touring - there are ways to attach a rack here and there apparently. I don't really want a touring bike (Definitely not an MTB) since the amount of Touring I plan to do is less than the standard ride time I will spend on a Bike when it all adds up.

RR
2017 Trek Emonda SL6

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:59 pm

I think an endurance bike (like a Trek Domane) would be racy enough when required and a lot more suitable for bikepacking than the S5, which Trek classifies as "performance road" (ie race geometry).

That article didn't really say much. Bike reviews never do say much in all honesty.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Rural Rider

Postby Rural Rider » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:31 pm

hamishm wrote:I think an endurance bike (like a Trek Domane) would be racy enough when required and a lot more suitable for bikepacking than the S5, which Trek classifies as "performance road" (ie race geometry).

That article didn't really say much. Bike reviews never do say much in all honesty.
The TREK Domane ALR 5 Disc with ISOspeed looks a really nice ride also ... and as you say may be far better suited to Touring and general duty than the Emonda for sure. It is a few hundred dollars more however and on sale right now at $2,549.00 down from $2999 (Why don't we just call it 3k) - I was trying to keep my budget in the sub $2500 range ... but for $50 more ...

Certainly worth a look ... but the weight of the bike comes in at 56cm - 9.53 kg / 21.01 lbs - compared to the Emonda ALR it is quite a bit heavier. When I think of touring I'm also thinking of keeping a light weight Bike in my plans ...

RR
2017 Trek Emonda SL6