i just cant make a decision..

newierider

i just cant make a decision..

Postby newierider » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:31 pm

ok, i will try to cut a long story short.
last christmas i received A LOT of wiggle vouchers, i have a 2013 10 speed scott cr1 pro road bike and i decided to buy the full ultegra 6800 11 speed groupset as my wheels have an 11 speed hub.

after trying out the cassette when it arrived, it was clear that the hub was compatible, but my frame was not, the chain sits too close to the carbon. please no comments about this as i have spent hours on forums, getting in touch with the wheel and frame manufacturer etc etc.. fact is, it doesnt work. partly due to the wahoo trainer compressing the carbon very slightly but the frame design is to blame too.

the bike cost me $2500 as it was last years model at the time rrp $3700, i think its worth about $1500 now, its in really good condition.

here are some options:

1, sell the bike, buy a new frame with the money and build a new bike up.

2, keep the bike and buy a cheap frame ( i dont have much money at the mo), put on the 11sp groupset and use that on the trainer so i dont have to put my better bike on it.

im stuck as my current bike is in pretty good condition..

just thought i would reach out to get some thoughts..

thanks

hamishm

Re: i just cant make a decision..

Postby hamishm » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:34 pm

What group is on your bike at the moment? Maybe you can just sell the 11sp, one more gear isn't very exciting anyway.

newierider

Postby newierider » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:42 pm

hamishm wrote:What group is on your bike at the moment? Maybe you can just sell the 11sp, one more gear isn't very exciting anyway.
hi mate, yeah i did think of that, but im probably gonna want to get a new bike a year from now (im one of those guys!) and the bike will be worth even less and i wont have much money to get a new bike, new baby on the way etc.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:01 pm

Geez, we're deep in first world problems here. Option 2 cos n+1.

newierider

Postby newierider » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:09 pm

P!N20 hahah yup :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:54 pm

And if n+1 encroaches on s-1 then I'll happily 'mind' your spare bike for you
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:47 am

I usually use my classic steel framed road bike on the trainer - only 16 gears but what saves me is that I don't have to ride the trainer up (real) hills or down them. The important thing was to get the geometry identical to my road bike and use the same saddle.

In other words, the bike on your trainer doesn't need to be special or even expensive - as long as you get the right position and can get good training rides.

--

If your Scott already has a running groupset - then you are ahead of the game - put it on your trainer and save your 6800 for your next build.
Cycling is in my BNA

newierider

Postby newierider » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:30 am

thanks guys, i cant really put the scott on the trainer, it has carbon dropouts and ive noticed its started to get damaged from the pressure on the dropouts. looong story but its not a guess.. the trainer has damaged the dropouts. ive spoken to many people, from scott, local bike shops etc..

i have a old aluminium trek bike running sora but ive noticed what appears to be the crank flexing on the downstroke when its on the trainer, though it could be the whole bike flexing.. im not sure its hard to tell.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:11 pm

Get the dropout fixed. That's why the 11-sp. isn't fitting.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

newierider

Postby newierider » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:17 pm

Duck! wrote:Get the dropout fixed. That's why the 11-sp. isn't fitting.
i could get it fixed, but its $250, and as soon as i put it back on the trainer, its likely to happen again.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Not if it's done properly.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.