Bootie call

find_bruce

Bootie call

Postby find_bruce » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:37 am

Waterproof booties that is.

With winter approaching, its time to replace my booties. I don't care if my feet get wet in the warmth of summer, but come winter, wet is cold & miserable. Yes I know I'm soft & it's really not that cold in Sydney & it is much tougher riding where you live.

I currently have a shimano set, pretty much the same as the BBB waterflex - zip up the back, velcro under the sole. I am reasonably happy with them, slow the ingress of water, keep my feet warm enough.

Regular use is a 30 min each way commute. Occasional use is longer weekend rides. Mountain bike spd shoes if that matters.

Any recommendations?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

fat and old

Re: Bootie call

Postby fat and old » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:29 pm

Have two pair. BBB's in black (no hivis available at the time. Similar to thses

https://bbbcycling.com/en/bike-wear/shoecovers/BWS-19

Elastic underneath. Great fit. Get wet, but have not ever been cold. And I suffer from cold feet from 8 degrees down.

Also fancy pink Raphas

http://www.rapha.cc/au/en_AU/shop/overs ... duct/OVS02

Use them whenever I'm going to be on busy roads. Have had motorists comment on them enough times to know they're seen :lol: Same warmth/protection as BBB. More exy.

Hi Vis softshells from Gore

http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... 7C562178AU

For dry, cold days. Again, enough comments to know they're seen. Useless in rain.

Never had a motorist say a word about my black ones

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:28 pm

Tried quite a few, Castelli, Endura, some sort of softshell type I can't remember. Hard to beat the BBB types though for price and longevity though.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:19 pm

Haven`t you heard of Velotoze booties.

Have to roll it out of shoes when walking. I haven`t got it but I`ve used the Torpedo7 wetsuit booties on special years ago and it`s not 100% waterproof.

But I might try the waproo from shoe stores one day soon to see on how do it go.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon May 22, 2017 10:42 pm

Giving Velotoze a whirl this winter

I commute in Giro Privateers (mtb shoes), so not really velotoze friendly. Luckily my 43 shoe size sits on the smaller end of Velotozes Large size (43-46) so its not ridiculously tight. Also means i can spread the velotoze cleat/heal hole around the edge of the privateers, no need to trim.

Still fairly snug around the shoe, and snug against my skin so rain run off should be minimal

Will see how they go

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 23, 2017 6:27 am

They will go well with your batman suit as well.

Surprised that no one has has jumped in yet with the all-time-classic... the plastic bags. I won't put in a recommendation... but I have seen them in action from time to time.

For extra waterproofing however if you have vents in the shoes which let water in, you can tape the inside (remove the sole).
Cycling is in my BNA

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 23, 2017 8:37 am

There was a thread on Weight Weenies that had some good options

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 3&t=143386

The most waterproof/warmest ones I have are some Shimano neoprene ones, but these are a bit squeezy on the feet.

One bad thing about the Velotoze (and similar style) is they are not very cut resistant, so can be throwaway pretty quick.

I'm subscribing to the best defence is good mudguards to start with (and I got some extensions from Rainy Day biking) and good booties/socks as the next line of defence.

The other solution (pending budget) is proper rainproof shoes like Lake CX145.
Last edited by MichaelB on Tue May 23, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Tue May 23, 2017 8:37 am

If your a cheap type, just wrap some aluminium foil over sock before putting on your shoe ... you'd be surprised how well it works

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue May 23, 2017 9:54 am

Jawa wrote:If your a cheap type, just wrap some aluminium foil over sock before putting on your shoe ... you'd be surprised how well it works
Remember to use a thick aluminum foil (yes, they do come in different thickness).

I tried it once, using the aluminum foil we had in our kitchen ..and ended the ride with an absolute mess of disintegrated alu foil in my shoes ! :roll: :lol:

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Tue May 23, 2017 11:37 am

caneye wrote:
Jawa wrote:If your a cheap type, just wrap some aluminium foil over sock before putting on your shoe ... you'd be surprised how well it works
Remember to use a thick aluminum foil (yes, they do come in different thickness).

I tried it once, using the aluminum foil we had in our kitchen ..and ended the ride with an absolute mess of disintegrated alu foil in my shoes ! :roll: :lol:
You used that home brand stuff didn't you?! :P tsk tsk