You've gotta have patience to buy anything in Australia...

Zippy7

Re: You've gotta have patience to buy anything in Australia...

Postby Zippy7 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:15 pm

Good on you for cancelling.
If you didn't, it would condone the appalling behaviour and attitude, and the next customer would experience that too. In these cases, the best way to speak is with your wallet.
I know the feeling. I've made many a conscious decision to spend a few $$$ more locally (not just bike related), but then experience loads and loads of frustration with post sales service.
Good luck with the refund process.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Wed May 03, 2017 9:59 am

OK, I caved, a bird in the hand and the really sad look (and disbelieving) on the faces of my LBS when I said the boss of SCV had cancelled my order, won me over. Mostly it was touching the shiney.... should have phoned up to get my refund.
I'm sorry, I should have had will power.
But I am gonna pull all the Surly stickers off, fugem...

Anyway, the new Troll has a Gnot Boost rear triangle. If you are going to use a 135mm QR with Tuggnuts you'll need a tandem skewer (185mm). I'm not sure how a QR would go without TNs, the slot is 12mm so there wouldn't be a lot of meat for the ends to bite into. The other option might be to buy small mudguard washers to put between the end and the drop out. You definitely wouldn't wan't to run a 135mm QR Rohloff or SS without Tuggnuts.
Also the front fork has a ludicrous amount on braze-ons, 9 on each leg, so worthwhile trying to find some black plastic blanking plugs, "it looks like a porcupine" said my partner.... I'm off hunting at a panel beaters supplier to see what they have in little plugs.

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Wed May 03, 2017 10:42 am

set screws with loctite?

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Wed May 03, 2017 10:49 am

Blakeylonger wrote:set screws with loctite?
Yeah, that'd work... bought some yesterday for another job, if only I'd known....
Might try for the black plugs first, see what they have, then some set/grub screws...

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Wed May 03, 2017 12:24 pm

Well there you go, why getting a new frame 10 days before you leave is a PITA. Surly have changed the lowrider rack bolt spacing from the old model to the new model. Old model 140mm like my partners, rack fits fine, new model 165mm, nope, without a kludge won't fit.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed May 10, 2017 5:29 pm

My turn now. I've been researching a CX bike to buy and settled on a particular make and model that I want to buy. It's actually last year's model so there's not many around. A couple on Bike Exchange but problem with them is they are interstate in Brisbane or Melbourne which is many hundreds of kms from where I live in Canberra. They won't leave the bike in the box and freight it to me, I have to physically go to the shop and they will "set it up" for me which I don't want as I plan to replace the main "setup" parts; seatpost, saddle, handlebars and probably stem. And I need it setup to be the same measurements as my other bikes. My mechanic here in Canberra will do all that for me when I get the other bits I want.

I found the manufacturer's/distributor's Australian website and they list the bike on there as available and have an optiuon to buy it direct through them but again they won't freight it, they will send it to the nearest shop in their chain for me to collect and get setup on. Closest shop is Sydney, which is slightly better than Brisbane or Melbourne but only just.

So I emailed them asking confirmation that the bike is in stock, price is what's listed on website and asking if they would freight it to my local shop that sells that brand but isn't a part of thier chain. Crickets...

How long does it take to reply to an email with 3 simple (I think) questions? I tried calling before I sent the email and all I get is an automated answering system that doesn't have any option to speak to a human being regarding their products.

If I'd ordered from WIggle or similar o/s shop it would be halfway here by now.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Wed May 10, 2017 6:18 pm

Yeah, ordered a 185mm skewer from Velogear on the second, cancelled it yesterday because it wasn't sent yet and won't arrive before I go, and lo and behold, it's suddenly shipped today... still won't arrive in time, had to stump up $15 for an airbag to my LBS.

open roader

Postby open roader » Wed May 10, 2017 8:36 pm

I've raved on here somewhere on BNA about how my former LBS guy told me to go right ahead and buy (a groupset) online from O.S. because the wholesale price the AU distributor quoted him for the same groupset was over $200 more than I could purchase them for retail overseas............ this was 8 or 9 years ago.

Alas, very little I read in this thread convinces me that much, if anything at all, has changed.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed May 10, 2017 10:38 pm

I can almost cope with the price gouging . . . almost, but the fact that Australian distributors can't deliver their goods, often for months, really takes the cake. Why do they exist if not to have stock held locally for quick deliver (presumably the supposed advantage of being local)?

If I can get something quicker (much quicker) and I get access to a better range of products from a supplier who is on the other side of the world there is something seriously wrong. This doesn't just apply to bikes and bike parts it seems to apply to everything: books, records (try and support my local record shops but you run the risk that it will sell out overseas before any even get here), hifi gear etc.

However, the one that really takes the cake is when you buy a computer programme which you download from the company server wherever, and the price for Australia is much higher, that makes no sense except if they are just charging "what the market will bear" (speaking of which, where does that market price come from anyway, there's no constraint on the supply side, each unit is not produced, it adds nothing to the supply cost).

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 10, 2017 10:43 pm

I went to Atelier de Velo in the CBD today hunting down some Contintal GP4000 rubber as my Gatorskins are down to the thread on the rear.

I was unexpectedly met with a rant about how they won't stock Conti because they sell to the on-line retailers who undercut everybody.

So I ask, "OK, what *do* you have?"
"Schwalbe"
"Where?"
"Over there."

So off I trot. Schwalbe Ones priced at a few pennies change from ninety bucks :shock: .

Back I go to the hipster behind the desk.

"Dude, I can buy those on-line at $60 or less. I was prepared to pay a premium but if you're going to rant to a customer about their product choice, at least be consistent!"

I get back to my desk in the office and order a pair of Contis from Bike Bug - an Australian online retailer - for $47 each. They will be here tomorrow. They have them at the same price in-store. Undercutting bricks and mortar stores, yeah? Nah. :roll:

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed May 10, 2017 11:02 pm

Interesting Trailgumby, Bike Bug are near me and I pass there when I shop at Prahran Market. Their prices are close to wiggle too. I notice wired Durano Plus are quite cheap, any disadvantage to wired tyres given I don't care about weight and never carry a spare tyre anyway?

If they can get close to online prices at a bricks and mortar store then . . .

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu May 11, 2017 12:11 pm

trailgumby wrote:I went to Atelier de Velo in the CBD today hunting down some Contintal GP4000 rubber as my Gatorskins are down to the thread on the rear.

I was unexpectedly met with a rant about how they won't stock Conti because they sell to the on-line retailers who undercut everybody.

So I ask, "OK, what *do* you have?"
"Schwalbe"
"Where?"
"Over there."

So off I trot. Schwalbe Ones priced at a few pennies change from ninety bucks :shock: .

Back I go to the hipster behind the desk.

"Dude, I can buy those on-line at $60 or less. I was prepared to pay a premium but if you're going to rant to a customer about their product choice, at least be consistent!"

I get back to my desk in the office and order a pair of Contis from Bike Bug - an Australian online retailer - for $47 each. They will be here tomorrow. They have them at the same price in-store. Undercutting bricks and mortar stores, yeah? Nah. :roll:
I however have had good dealings with Atelier de Velo. Last I dealt with them they were extremely helpful in getting the parts I needed.

Bike Bug are pretty good too.

If you want Conti tyres, go to 99 Bikes.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu May 11, 2017 12:58 pm

S'funny...I've had nothing but useful dealings with SCV. Wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Mind you I haven't bought a frame from them. Mostly small parts especially Wheels Manufacturing and Absolute Black product - local RRP is pretty much the same as the US price plus shipping especially for the Wheels stuff.

I sympathise with their decision to sea freight - hell of a lot cheaper per item for freight and customs management. If I was running a distro (and dealing with manufacturers minimum order quantities) then I'd do the same thing.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Thu May 11, 2017 1:49 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:S'funny...I've had nothing but useful dealings with SCV. Wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Mind you I haven't bought a frame from them. Mostly small parts especially Wheels Manufacturing and Absolute Black product - local RRP is pretty much the same as the US price plus shipping especially for the Wheels stuff.

I sympathise with their decision to sea freight - hell of a lot cheaper per item for freight and customs management. If I was running a distro (and dealing with manufacturers minimum order quantities) then I'd do the same thing.
That's all very well, but what about telling the customer the product is going to take 12 weeks, not 7 or 8? I know sea freight, I've sent numerous containers and breakbulk from China and the USA, they would have known within a couple of weeks of the order it wouldn't make the cut off to make 7 or 8 weeks. If fact, I've found out at the time I was ordering, the US distributor wasn't taking orders for some Surly frames, because supply was tight. Air cargo is not super expensive on multiple items, I've got water pumps air cargo from Taiwan, because it actually worked out cheaper than sea freight, by the time all the handling charges were added.

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu May 11, 2017 2:29 pm

Trevtassie wrote:Nah, I was told that black would take a while, given Maroon has taken 12 weeks I reckon I'd die of old age before a black one showed up.
I know you have it now, but they wanted you to pay full price for something in a different colour than what you ordered, and didn't tell you they didn't have black and just shipped a maroon one and hoped for the best?
Trevtassie wrote:And I just realised it has "Gnot Boost" 145mm rear frame spacing, so I've got buy some extra spacers to run a 135mm hub...
Is this your stuff up by not knowing or theirs for not making the difference public?

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu May 11, 2017 3:18 pm

I went through the same thing last year. Ordered an ECR frame at the start of March and it turned up mid July.

I was going into the shop to cancel my order on the day it turned up.......

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri May 12, 2017 8:19 pm

Ross wrote:My turn now. I've been researching a CX bike to buy and settled on a particular make and model that I want to buy. It's actually last year's model so there's not many around. A couple on Bike Exchange but problem with them is they are interstate in Brisbane or Melbourne which is many hundreds of kms from where I live in Canberra. They won't leave the bike in the box and freight it to me, I have to physically go to the shop and they will "set it up" for me which I don't want as I plan to replace the main "setup" parts; seatpost, saddle, handlebars and probably stem. And I need it setup to be the same measurements as my other bikes. My mechanic here in Canberra will do all that for me when I get the other bits I want.

I found the manufacturer's/distributor's Australian website and they list the bike on there as available and have an optiuon to buy it direct through them but again they won't freight it, they will send it to the nearest shop in their chain for me to collect and get setup on. Closest shop is Sydney, which is slightly better than Brisbane or Melbourne but only just.

So I emailed them asking confirmation that the bike is in stock, price is what's listed on website and asking if they would freight it to my local shop that sells that brand but isn't a part of thier chain. Crickets...

How long does it take to reply to an email with 3 simple (I think) questions? I tried calling before I sent the email and all I get is an automated answering system that doesn't have any option to speak to a human being regarding their products.

If I'd ordered from WIggle or similar o/s shop it would be halfway here by now.
I just posted a comment on their Facebook page asking if anyone monitors the emails sent through their website as I sent one 2 days ago and haven't had a response and lo and behold I got a response in about 15 mins sayng they are very sorry and will make sure someone responds to me on Monday. I've heard similar stories about other companies not responding to emails but suddenly very communicative when complaints are aired in public on social media. Shouldn't have to come to that.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 13, 2017 11:12 am

Yeah, that's a bit crap. Not a well-managed business. There should be metrics reported on answering emails. What isn;t measured doesn't improve.

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:55 pm

trailgumby wrote:I went to Atelier de Velo in the CBD today
Things have changed a lot since Mike and Chris left. Don't think any of the previous staff are there anymore either.
I went looking for a small item for my bike - only 1 person out of the 3 there could be bothered asking me if I needed assistance.
They weren't interested in making sales or chatting (and the other 2 were not busy, just ignoring customers).

Stangely enough, the other 3 CBD stores (Jet, Clarence St and Giant) were all great and interested in speaking to the potential customer.
I have bought a bike and plenty of other gear from Atelier in the past, but that business is likely to go to the other 3 shops or Bikebug.
Atelier/Sola sports can renovate as much as they like, but crap service will always scare the customer away.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

KGB

Postby KGB » Mon May 15, 2017 7:15 pm

SCV is hopeless. Haven't used them/their products for a long time now after quickly realising how bad they were. I'm honestly surprised they are still in business, unless Voysey just does it as a hobby and sells one frame every 3 months.

Velogear... Their prices are occasionally too good to refuse on some small stuff I need but they've stuffed up as many orders as they've sent me without hassles. I once bought a rear light from them, wouldn't hold charge so sent it back a week later after making 100% it wasn't user error or due to some fancy cable/USB charger etc. They sent it back to the US(?) for warranty replacement. HELLO!?! Exactly WHAT is the point of a local distributor again??? Eventually I got a replacement but might as well have ailed it back overseas myself.

The shop that sponsors my club (not really "local" to me unfortunately) will basically accept and determine warranty items on their own back. They're good enough to recognise a warranty issue the majority of the time and smart enough to recognise the value of their customers so will usually replace it out of their own stock and send the item back to the distributor. The shop is TBSM at Mortdale in Sydney.

dmwill wrote:TLDR, but replacement gauge for my Lezyne pump, about a 2 month wait.

Would have normally purchased from one of the internet giants, but decided to support one of the small local guys (I figured it was worth giving back after all the time and effort he puts into group rides, organizing refreshments at the end, etc).

Bit annoying, but I cannot blame the shop.
2 months? Any shop worth it's salt would pull a pump off the floor, remove the part you needed and THEY would wait the two months for the new one to arrive. Of course, this is assuming the have it in stock already.

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon May 15, 2017 8:18 pm

I received a reply via FB from the company I emailed several days regarding the price, availability and logistics of a particular bike I saw on their website. They claim they didn't get my original email which I sent through their website, not just to some generic email address. So I sent them a message via FB and await their reply.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed May 17, 2017 12:01 pm

I've exchanged a couple of messages with the company on FB and they don't have the size bike I want - even though it is listed as available on their website - but do have the next size down which would probably be ok as I own/ride both sizes now in a different brand.

They didn't confirm pricing like I asked them to. They have confirmed that they won't ship to my home or any other address, only a shop that is part of their chain, nearest one being a 700km round trip away from where I live (even though there is a shop 5km from my home that sells that same brand...).

I am not sure I am interested in driving 700km and wasting all that time to buy this bike. It would be a lot easier to logon the internet and buy one from somewhere else that doesn't have such an inflexible customer service policy.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 17, 2017 7:26 pm

Ross wrote:They didn't confirm pricing like I asked them to. They have confirmed that they won't ship to my home or any other address, only a shop that is part of their chain, nearest one being a 700km round trip away from where I live (even though there is a shop 5km from my home that sells that same brand...).
So they'd rather have all of nothing instead of a slightly lesser share of something. Genius. Who teaches these people? :roll:

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Thu May 18, 2017 4:00 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Ross wrote:They didn't confirm pricing like I asked them to. They have confirmed that they won't ship to my home or any other address, only a shop that is part of their chain, nearest one being a 700km round trip away from where I live (even though there is a shop 5km from my home that sells that same brand...).
So they'd rather have all of nothing instead of a slightly lesser share of something. Genius. Who teaches these people? :roll:
I know Giant have a policy of this type with their dealerships. My mate before he returned to Ireland, wanted to buy a Giant road bike and was happy for the shop to have a visual inspection and reseal the bike box without building as he was shipping overseas. The shop refused to do this so what actually happened was the shop built the bike, my mate sat on the saddle then the shop re-packed it for free - my mate had negotiated this packing task into the price when he bought it. Madness!!!

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri May 19, 2017 6:24 am

Latest "news" on this is they are still refusing to ship this bike with no reason given except "they can't". Edit: from their website - "Please note all bikes are assembled by one of our qualified bicycle technicians and therefore must be picked up from your preferred **** store." I have my own non-LBS or brand aligned/independent mechanic with 40+ years experience that I use for all my bicycle maintenance issues after having unsatisfactory service at every LBS I have ever encountered. I have seen other clients rock up to him with a brand new bike just purchased from a LBS and he just groans out loud and mumbles stuff about "children" and amateurs" and rips the bike apart and rebuilds it "properly". I have mentioned to them that I have my own preferred mechanic but they choose to ignore this and stick to their outdated and clumsy policy. :(

They have suggested I try a LBS close to me that sells this brand, but it is very doubtfull they would have the model bike I want in stock as a) it not their core brand b) the bike I want is last year's model on runout special.

I will try and get to this LBS today and see if they are able/willing to do some sort of deal with the distributor and allow me to purchase it through them. I would be willing to pay a bit more, how much more I'm not sure...

The bike is a good deal, now just under $1900, original RRP according to their website is $3700. Maybe I should bite the bullet and spend a weekend (or take time off work during the week cough cough - doubtfull I could get leave for at least 2 weeks) driving interstate to pick this up. Other frustrating thing about this they offer free shipping Australia wide on all clothing, accessories or parts, just refuse to ship bikes. :evil: