First time road bike buyer - buying for a frame vs. buying for components

mvets

First time road bike buyer - buying for a frame vs. buying for components

Postby mvets » Fri May 05, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi, first timer here. Just looking for a road bike for some weekend exercise and maybe for an indoor trainer. Bit too scared of the roads as it stands.

I've noticed that Shimano 105 groupsets run for about $500 online (http://www.this link is broken.au/shimano-105-5800-groupset/) so I was wondering if it was a good idea to just get a bike with a decent frame and go with it until I decide to get more "serious" and upgrade the groupset then. I've noticed a lot of people complaining about brakes in the ~$1000 road bike price range so it feels like I'd have to upgrade anyway.

Had a look around for cheap bikes and I've come across:
- Giant Contend 2 (Claris) 2017 for $809: https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road- ... /102962358
- Cannondale CAAD8 (Sora) 2016 for $999: https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road- ... /102960169

It seems that bikes with 105 groupsets are about $500 more and they aren't even full groupsets so it seems better to just buy for the frame and upgrade later if I feel like it. If so, which one of these two frames would you recommend? It seems like the CAAD8 has a better reputation.

(The closest LBS to me has this Merida Scultura 400 (105) 2016 for $1199 but not sure if Merida's good or not).

Oh and one last thing, I'm rubbish at negotiating, what kind of discount do you guys tend to get at a LBS?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First time road bike buyer - buying for a frame vs. buying for components

Postby AUbicycles » Fri May 05, 2017 4:23 pm

Generally the approach is to get a better frame but the reality of actually upgrading is harder for most. If the shop upgrades the complete groupset, this comes at a cost of work-time.

If you buy a bike and a groupset individually, it will be harde to sell the lower level groupset, you have the cost of switching and the total cost is usually more than the cost of a complete bike with the same level frame and the groupset you want.

Ignore bikeexchange and go directly instore. Look out for 'last year' models where the prices are lower. For new riders the actual differences are have a far lower impact that a salesperson will pitch.

Both Cannondale and Giant have their pros and cons... like any brand really and the quality of the bike shop assembly and service will affect the end result.

Regarding discounts - it depends but it is not assumed that there are discounts. Generally there is no haggling. The margins on bikes are lower than on parts and accessories so bike shops may remain steady on their price of the bike but do you a deal with inclusions or discounts on accessories. Instead you need to look out for sales promotions or floor stock with reduced prices.
Cycling is in my BNA

nickdos

Re: First time road bike buyer - buying for a frame vs. buying for components

Postby nickdos » Fri May 05, 2017 5:22 pm

I'd recommend going for the 105 level model straight up, if you are thinking of upgrading sometime in the next year. Reason being, the cheaper models come with lower grade wheels and other parts as well (so factor that in). The complete bike is always better value than upgrading parts, as the companies get a massive discount for bulk and OEM stock. And as mentioned you can't really sell these parts when you upgrade, so you're effectively paying more in the long term.

If you're not sure about spending that much money straight up, then start off with a second hand bike, which you can sell for a reasonable % of the buying price and then get the more expensive model, once you're sure you'll keep using the bike.