Bike for commuting, what to choose?

Malagasy

Bike for commuting, what to choose?

Postby Malagasy » Tue May 16, 2017 10:37 pm

Hi,

Just landed in Melbourne and keen to commute to work on 2 wheels.

I've always had pretty bad bikes and as expected, motivation goes away pretty quick with a bad bike.

I've had a look around and have narrow it down to 2:

1. The Reid Urban x3 (https://www.reidcycles.com.au/urban-x3.html) at about 750 doll OR
2. The Silverback Scento 1 (https://www.bikebug.com/m/product_info. ... s_id=44267) at about 1000 dol.

Obviously, the price is quite different so really wondering if the extra 250 are worth it for something like this.

What do you think? Do you have other choices to add to that list ? (With hydraulic disc brakes)

Thanks for your help!

am50em

Re: Bike for commuting, what to choose?

Postby am50em » Wed May 17, 2017 7:08 am

I recently bought the Urban X3. Very happy with it. One thing to note is the front end is very low. I bought a hi- rise stem to get it to a comfortable height. The gearing is more mountain bike which is handy in Sydney but maybe overkill for Melbourne. The wheels spin well but after riding in rain the freehub developed some roughness. Maybe just needs more grease. I swapped out for a better set of spare wheels for now. Brakes work very well. The ride is a bit harsh but ok for short 12km commute.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed May 17, 2017 9:36 am

How long and where is your commute?
Will you be riding in all weather?
Have you budgeted for accessories? (lights, racks, panniers, mudguards, etc)
What clothing, shoes, pedals etc will you use?

Malagasy

Postby Malagasy » Wed May 17, 2017 9:59 am

MattyK wrote:How long and where is your commute?
About 12K from home to work along St Kilda Road and CBD
Will you be riding in all weather?
That's the plan hence my choice to go with hydro brakes
Have you budgeted for accessories? (lights, racks, panniers, mudguards, etc)
yes, I have a separate budget for helmet, ect
What clothing, shoes, pedals etc will you use?
I'll be using riding gears and get changed at work

Overall, I'd like something decent to ride vs a cheaper option that will let me down eventually.

Malagasy

Postby Malagasy » Wed May 17, 2017 10:00 am

am50em wrote:I recently bought the Urban X3. Very happy with it. One thing to note is the front end is very low. I bought a hi- rise stem to get it to a comfortable height. The gearing is more mountain bike which is handy in Sydney but maybe overkill for Melbourne. The wheels spin well but after riding in rain the freehub developed some roughness. Maybe just needs more grease. I swapped out for a better set of spare wheels for now. Brakes work very well. The ride is a bit harsh but ok for short 12km commute.
Thanks for sharing the experience. What makes the ride a bit harsh? The lack of front fork suspension?

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed May 17, 2017 10:22 am

35c tyres on pavement should be super cushy at the right pressure... :? They should be more than fine for where you say you're going - major road, flat terrain.

If you're looking at Reid I'd say test ride the Granite 2.0, see if you might prefer drop bars.
For an area that flat I would also think about a good quality single speed.

am50em

Postby am50em » Wed May 17, 2017 10:50 am

Malagasy wrote: Thanks for sharing the experience. What makes the ride a bit harsh? The lack of front fork suspension?
No the front fork is fine. It is thru the seat that it is harsh.
I think it is the Al frame design with 31.6mm seat post. I also have a Giant Revolt (Al frame) which is much more supple.
It has dropped seat stays and a narrower carbon seat post. The Urban has 35mm tires at 60psi and the Revolt 32mm (measured at 30mm) and 90psi so you would expect the Urban to be smoother. That said I do enjoy riding the Urban on my commutes. With mudguards, rack and bag it is ideal for my all weather commutes. Last two days have gone the long way (32km vs 12km) home via Bobbin head which involves 500m+ climbing and it goes well.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed May 17, 2017 7:52 pm

Melbourne all weather commuter, hmmm...

Disc brakes
Mudguards
Rack mounts

For my money, the first two are requirements, the third depends on how you want to lug stuff.
Everything else (spec, configuration, aesthetics) comes down to what works best for you at your budget.

I'm not gonna say "Buy X" because I'm not you, and I'd be just as likely to get it wrong as right but, like Matty, if you don't mind drop bars then the Granite 2.0 ticks the boxes for testing. It's also possible that an SS option might suit you better if mechanical simplicity counts. I own a Reid Harrier FG, got it for a month to review for BNA and ended up giving them money back instead. Chook is a blast :-D I've also quick tested a 1st gen Granite and a Falco on a whim and enjoyed both.

EDIT: Security. How will you be storing the bike at each end?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:07 pm

I find it odd that you're considering a Silverback (don't know anyone else who owns one), but I'll give you my 2 cents worth as a current owner of a Scento 2 (mech discs).

I have been pleasantly surprised by it. Goes very well, better than expected for a "cheap bike". Very nice and smooth drivetrain, wheels are very quiet when coasting (quieter than any other wheelset I've had). It's relatively fun to commute on in Sydney (mine has a triple sora), and I can still set PBs on strava. It's nice to have an anonymous bike at times (bike cage at work is full of more expensive bikes).

Put it this way, I don't really miss the Specialized Sirrus Carbon Elite that was my previous commuter. The Scento 2 is just as pleasant, if not more fun, as a commuter bike. For me, it is also heaps less frustrating than a Merida Speeder T3, and heaps lighter and more nimble than a Focus Lost Lagoon.

Can't comment about the Reid as I've never owned one.

Just be warned about upgraditis...
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

am50em

Postby am50em » Wed May 17, 2017 10:14 pm

For some unknown reason they are listed $75 cheaper on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-REID-Urb ... 2482033554

rooftop

Postby rooftop » Thu May 18, 2017 11:48 am

If you are willing to spend a (lot) more money you could look at something like a Vivente. They come standard with mudguards, rear rack, dyno-powered lights, etc. Nice if you value reliability over speed...

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu May 25, 2017 3:55 pm

If you can budget an extra $500 http://linksports.com.au/bombtrack-2017-arise-geared

Steel frame
Mudguards
IGH
Rackmounts